+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Artewig
  • 1 Post By Vedryne

Thread: How often would I have to play melee as a Rogue?

Default How often would I have to play melee as a Rogue?

I've been playing casually for awhile now, trying out all four callings and dabbling with most of souls for the purpose of deciding which calling would be right for me. I've decided that I'd like to make my Rogue my main because Bard and Physician are the souls I enjoy playing the most. Thing is, I HATE playing melee in a group (I'm okay with it for soloing). And I know that the calling has some very prominent melee specs that I may have to play on occasion. Naturally, I'm perfectly fine with playing a spec I'm not particularly fond of for the sake of the group. But if I'm going to end up playing those specs more often than the ones I want to play, then I'd be better off picking a different character as my main.

So, considering that I'm primarily interested in playing Bard and Physician and to a lesser extent Marksman, (with neutral opinions towards Tactician and Saboteur) how often will I HAVE to bring a melee soul or else be a detriment to my group?

I realize this is something that would be different from group to group and could possibly change with new content. But I'd still like hear the opinions of some more experienced Rogues based on their personal experience.

Top groups will want you to bring your best and that generally extends to using the top spec. For fights where melee is viable (nearly every fight), it is the top dps for rogues (either 61 Sin, 38/38 nb sin or 61 nb). However, most guilds/groups will just want you playing the spec that your dps is best in (That usually goes for the top groups, though for the most part you're expected to be able to perform in the top spec) and most groups will not tell you to play a certain spec or another unless it is important to the raid (for example, having someone go Sin or nb/sin to get the 5% crit chance buff). So I wouldn't worry about being asked to play melee, because for the most part, it won't happen. When I was in the Rhen of Fate raid for the second time, I was asked if I had a melee spec. I said I didn't (I only played Ranger and Sab at that point) and the group was fine with me playing Ranger as long as my numbers were decent. After that raid, I learned Assassin, and it became my favorite spec. So many people raid in Marksman now that not only will you not get called on it, but chances are good that you'll be among other rogues playing Marksman.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

As mentioned in the post above, the non-min/maxing groups (I'd guess that makes majority) would be fine with someone dpsing in MM almost all the time, while groups that do strive for top numbers will not want to see that. Melee builds do higher dps and are easily usable in most fights - so it is a dps loss on most of the fights for the group that you choose.
    But actually at this point it's only warriors that are almost fully safe from melee Maybe clerics to some point too.

But if you do really well as support and healer, you won't need to dps that much or not at all.
    I'd suggest you learned phystact as well, as it's more useful in raids than 61phys.

So the general idea I'm getting here is that most fights favor going melee, but a competent Healing/Support player isn't going to be asked to DPS very often. And most of the non-hardcore groups are not picky about what damage spec someone uses, so long as they bring decent DPS.

I think this answers my question nicely, thank you. Again, I don't mind getting out of my comfort zone if it helps the group preform better, I just don't want it to be the main thing I'm doing. I don't have any problems preforming as melee (or didn't in other MMOs, to be exact), I just don't enjoy it very much. But so long as I can spend most of my game time healing and supporting, I won't mind the occasional jump into melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedryne View Post
    I'd suggest you learned phystact as well, as it's more useful in raids than 61phys.
    I plan to, though I'm still leveling right now and I'm not high enough to try it.

as you mentioned,
    when you prefer Support or healing tell your Guild and Raid Lead.
    when they see you are good at what you're doingthey will let you Main heal/support (even if every rogue is able to play bard.. duh..)

but its good to have the top DPS speccs on hand for encounters where no Rogue Heal is needed.
    in my case, i play mostly phystact in every raid. But for some encounters we just need one hroupheal and that is our chloro. so i have to play dps (Murdantix phystact, Matron 61nb, Sicaron Phystact, Molinar Phystact, estrode NB or Sab and Zilas i play 61 Phys).

Dontiiprim@Typhiria

Quote Originally Posted by Art Guy Charlie View Post
    So the general idea I'm getting here is that most fights favor going melee, but a competent Healing/Support player isn't going to be asked to DPS very often. And most of the non-hardcore groups are not picky about what damage spec someone uses, so long as they bring decent DPS.

I think this answers my question nicely, thank you. Again, I don't mind getting out of my comfort zone if it helps the group preform better, I just don't want it to be the main thing I'm doing. I don't have any problems preforming as melee (or didn't in other MMOs, to be exact), I just don't enjoy it very much. But so long as I can spend most of my game time healing and supporting, I won't mind the occasional jump into melee.

I plan to, though I'm still leveling right now and I'm not high enough to try it.
    Well since you can play ranged in any fight (Since ranged works the same in melee range), the fights actually "favor" ranged, so it becomes a matter of which fights will allow you to play melee without sacrificing dps or having to change the raid strategy by too much. But other than that, you got it. I would say play what you want and most groups will be fine with that as long as you can perform decently.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Prophet of Telara

Worth mentioning that if you aim for some kind of progression(means killing bosses) you should know that carring a mm is in most bosses a burden.You can play it in some bosses sure(it will underpermon if you compare it with the mele specs) but for some bosses its just kinda useless and it will hold your guild back,zamira,zylas,vladmal,grugonim(i have to try mm there)inwar,garau,akylios(you can use one here to rupt stingers) andpretty much every boss in GP.
    Last edited by N3okorrales; 07-29-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Yeah melee spec are the best dps spec, but if you like bard, or phys. You'll be fine, group are generally starving for bard and heal.

RIFT Guide Writer

Well it'd depend on how good your bard or heals are as well as your urge to PUG.

If you're the better than their current bard/healer, a solid guild will slot you in and shouldn't make you DPS unless the fight doesn't need your spec.

PUGs? Get ready to bring a DPS spec that can pull some minimum numbers. Long as you get the kills in PUGs, it doesn't matter what you play as long as you aren't dead weight.

Basically, in PUGs any DPs number under 45k is unacceptable once you breach 1k Hit.
    Last edited by evantide; 07-29-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

+ Reply to Thread