+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rogue solo leveling build help

Shadowlander

Default Rogue solo leveling build help

Hello!

I recently leveled up a Cleric and a Mage, and feel that I may have spoiled myself a bit now that I am trying out a Rogue. I used the Fire Shaman preset with the Cleric and Harb/Chloro with the Mage, so I was used to survivability and decent DPS. Now, however, I find myself in an awkward situation with the rogue.

I read a lot of good things about the "Granpa said knock you out" build, but it seems that it is not very good early on. I am currently level 32, and I find that the DPS is rather weak, while at the same time having little to no survivability, and almost no AoE ability. (due to terrible survivability and weak DPS) The 4 point Tact skill doesnt give very much healing, and even though I am constantly using Guarded Steel for the extra armor and absorb (from the RS tree) I find myself not holding up very well. And if anything unexpected happens... Well... Nothing I can do. No heals, absorb shields, etc to pop up.

So I decided to dabble in Physician for the ability to heal when needed. I am thinking something like this:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Xhg/wkGlaGFaFl4/t8q

However, I have not really seen anyone using Physician for their solo builds, and I am wondering if I have overlooked something. I was thinking that I might want to remove 3-4 points from Physician to put over into RS, but I quite like the extra healing those points in Physician offer. It seems like this would GREATLY increase solo survivability, without hurting my DPS too much overall.

Comments?

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Xh0/ykFlliGAGl4/t8g

better.

sin kills stuff faster, and has passive healing and lots of utility.

by the time nb gets all its buffs debuffs up, you'll find that the mob has already died (RIP).
    hence, use sin or marksman.

Shadowlander

Yeah, I spent about an hour and a half with my build, and found out very quickly that not only is NB rather poor DPS in general, but there is essentially no AoE, which makes leveling quite slow. I have switched NB with Tact, and I am loving it. Easily tanks 10+ mobs of the same level, and does massive AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Latsabb View Post
    Yeah, I spent about an hour and a half with my build, and found out very quickly that not only is NB rather poor DPS in general, but there is essentially no AoE, which makes leveling quite slow. I have switched NB with Tact, and I am loving it. Easily tanks 10+ mobs of the same level, and does massive AoE.
    i think you are playing nb incorrectly.

anyhow, nb AOE requires level 41.... so there's that, and nb is pretty good on fights lasting longer than 15 seconds (at ANY level).

btw, what are you trying to AOE? are you trying to levelup via AOE'ing? thatsts going to be HORRIBLY slow.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by fatbahmi View Post
    i think you are playing nb incorrectly.

anyhow, nb AOE requires level 41.... so there's that, and nb is pretty good on fights lasting longer than 15 seconds (at ANY level).

btw, what are you trying to AOE? are you trying to levelup via AOE'ing? thatsts going to be HORRIBLY slow.
    I am not sure how I would be playing it incorrectly, being that there were not exactly a ton of skills. The DPS just wasnt there compared to what I was used to with Harb and such.

As far as AoE, not only would AoE farming be significantly faster leveling than questing, but even during quests you are much, much better off fighting things 3+ at a time, rather than killing one at a time. If you join into IA, or dungeon, you dont even need to change specs. Questing is incredibly slow if you are killing one mob at a time. Once in PoW, things change, since you cant handle larger groups anymore, but nothing beats AoE for leveling speed.

ah, i assumed you were just AOE'ing down random mobs...

nb requires significant investment in the skill tree, around 30 points or so before it starts to get great.

aoe levelling is pretty bad for low level rogues, bladedancer doesnt have good AOE until 31, sab is generally bad for levelling.

only option is tact... and its a paid soul.

but generally, aoeing only 3-4 mobs is inefficient, and taking on 8 mobs at same level might be tough for some people/specs.

i personally prefer MM, since it bursts hard, and has good cc, utility, or sin, because stealth, and fast kill speed. i just stealth, kill an enemy and then immediately move to another. i can usually kill 2 enemies during cloak and dagger buff, leaving me free to stealth (and burst) again

Shadowlander

As NB, I was likely killing twice as fast on single target compared with my Tact, but the Tact is always having 3+ mobs, unless it is a lone mob that needs to be killed. (not often) The torrents have huge range and spread, making it very easy to just spin, and pull a whole camp. Even better, I dont need to LoS the casters, since the torrents reach them. Even with single target, mobs my own level wont last through 3 torrents, which means less than 9 seconds. There is so much healing going on, that I might hit half HP on a pull of 10 mobs my level, but I can spam heal after the fight, and be back at full two seconds later. (literally two seconds, since two casts gives me back 40% of my HP)

Things might change down the line, but right now at 40 (been doing Tact for the last 6 levels) it has never been better.

I tried several different specs out when leveling my rogue a few months back.

I found for me anyway that Bladedancer with 8 points in Riftstalker to be incredibly effective and fun to play. I shelved her at 50 for awhile just started again a couple days ago, learning MM while I do it and that seems to be pretty effective also, but a little weak in the AE area.
    Last edited by Eilauria; 07-15-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Rift Disciple

I just finished leveling my rogue 1-65 about a month ago. What I did was buy a couple roles as soon as I could, and went NB, Sin, and Blades. Sin has better burst early on, but I found NB more fun to play. Blades obviously for AoE stuff. I went RS/Tact as off souls early on for the survivability and self heals, then transitioned into normal dps specs as I got closer to 60 (actually went NB/Sin iirc).

This was alt #4, so I knew where to go and what the quest objectives were for the most part, so I just relied on stealth to skip most mobs, sap whatever I could by the quest objective, snatch grab complete. Getting fast stealth in Sin really sped things up as well. I'd maybe switch to Sin for burst if I need to take an elite down. Since it was an alt, I could afford a 110% mount to get around quickly, and made good use of ports to save time. Out of all four classes, leveling was fastest with the rogue. I think just rushing quests and a bit of IAs is a lot quicker than stopping to round up and kill everything, and stealth makes that really easy. It also means lots of quest gear to keep yourself up to date in gear.
    Last edited by Koraii; 07-15-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Shadowlander

As a rule of thumb, killing 10 mobs will give the same experience as a single quest. If you take quests whenever you are in an area, and then AoE everything along a path, you will get way more experience than questing alone. In the time it takes to finish a single quest, I can easily AoE down 30 mobs. And that doesnt even include the travel time back and forth for the quests. And since I AoE in the quest areas, it is much faster. Every level bracket has an area with very densely populated areas, allowing for easy AoE grinding, and the exp is far superior to just running from one spot to another. The only real reason I bother questing at all is for gear and something else to do.

If it takes me 10 seconds to run between a pack of mobs, and 10 seconds to burn them down, then I am killing ~8 mobs in 20 seconds. Including hopping shards, lets say that it actually takes 40 seconds. That is 12 mobs per minute, which is more exp than a quest, every minute. And that is being conservative.

Rift Master

Along the same lines, what are people using for a solo chronicle build? Or are they using multiple builds depending on the boss/chronicle?

Rift Disciple

I guess I should have qualified that as Story quests, which give about 3x the amount of xp. The only time I did regular/carnage quests were when they were concurrent with the story ones, which was fairly common. It also took me around to some places I'd never seen and finished some story quests I never did on my other toons, so it might have kept me more engaged, and thus the appearance of faster leveling.

Ever since grinding crocodiles in WoW for three hours, ten years ago, I've been pretty anti-grind, so there's just no way I was going to level like that. Maybe story questing is quicker, maybe it just seems quicker to me, but I definitely found it more enjoyable. If I really wanted to cut out the grind, I'd just have used a 60 boost and had it done with.

But to topic, AoE is Bladedancer's wheelhouse, so I'd definitely try that route if you haven't. Works wonders for me in HKIAs/NMRs/Zone Events.

^ EXACTLY what Koraii said!!

Shadowlander

Hmm... I am not getting triple the exp for story quests, although I do know that in PoW and some of the SL quests are worth 2.5-3 times more exp. Not lower down, though. Even so, those quests are always much more involved, taking a longer time, hence more exp. But, as you say, questing has more entertainment value, and times flies when you are having fun. ;)

I may try revisiting BD, but at 32-34, the AoE DPS was not anything near the Tact, and it had the survivability of a wet paper bag.

Shadowlander

As an update, Tact continued to dominate all the way up until I got to Plane of Water. Now that mass AoE grinding isnt an option, Tact is a bad option. But up until then, Tact/Phys/MM was amazing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast