+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Illuyanka
  • 1 Post By N3okorrales

Thread: State of the rogue dps wise?

Default State of the rogue dps wise?

Hello

I havent played for some months now and am thinking of coming back. Im thinking of starting a rogue for dps play mainly or leveling my warrior or mage. How does rogue stand dps wise in comparison to warrs and mages? Both in terms of raid dps but also in terms of mobility? For both ranged and melee

Thanks in advance!

61nb is awesome for cleave, 61 sin good for ST, 61 MM great ST and okish aoe (only need to stand still for 1 cast time), Sab is good, BD is awesome burst with meh sustain. Ranger is...OK.
    Rogue is currently the one with most options that work.

All warriors are reavers, which is ranged dps now. Boring as sesame street and can be played by a brain dead quadraplegic snail.

Mage is fun, but with really few options and we're mostly used for chloro and chon. Harbinger getting a huge buff right now but not looking promising. Pyro depends a lot on crit rng.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric
    Antaikolon@Greybriar-Warrior
    CODE FOR FREE STUFF FOR NEWBIES: PRR9NF2PG2NXQ77KDDJQ

Thanks for such a thorough explanation! With such many viable specs is it often a matter of changing specs regularly during raid depending on raid boss or will mm be viable at ranged boss fights and 61 sin for melee ones if not cleave is possible?

Rift Master

Here's the order:
    - 61 MM if you're always at range
    - 61 NB or NB/Sin if it's mostly melee with frequent disconnects
    - 61 Sin if it's all melee with no disconnects

Also:
    - 61Sin is the best at target swaps, having little penalty
    - MM is good at target swaps, only having to wait for Silver Tip Munitions to stack
    - 61NB & NB/Sin have to build / maintain Fiery Spike stacks on target swaps. YMMV depending on how well you can manage that.

Thanks for the summary Caldorian!

Im guessing its between warrior and rogue mostly now since the mage harb rework seem... meh to say the least. How is rogue MM compared to reaver and 61 sin vs paragon (if not reaver is top dps for warriors even on melee fights)

*Still uses BD. Will probably always use BD unless threatened with boots or no loot. Likes NB a bit, but hates it too b/c it makes BD have to suck*

Stubborness aside, Rogue has the most overall viable options, BD and NB are both melee AoE specs that can put out good damage, NB is probably more reliable as it doesn't rely on having Dance timings down pat and can handle disconnects a lot better.

Other than Dance timings, BD's "Rotation" consists a 2-3 button CP generating rotation and two to three alternating options for finishers. Basically want to keep Dauntless Strike on the mob as much as possible, too.

Saboteur is nice ranged AoE, Marksman owns the ST ranged builds, Ranger is okay soloing, Riftstalker/Physician is apparently the closest you get to being a member of the Vigil, and Assassin is probably still one of the nicer ST melee builds if you don't like the fire-based NB.
    Eithel - 65 Rogue - Faeblight
    Hinokage - Eventual 65 Mage - Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Aysander View Post
    *Still uses BD. Will probably always use BD unless threatened with boots or no loot. Likes NB a bit, but hates it too b/c it makes BD have to suck*

Stubborness aside, Rogue has the most overall viable options, BD and NB are both melee AoE specs that can put out good damage, NB is probably more reliable as it doesn't rely on having Dance timings down pat and can handle disconnects a lot better.

Other than Dance timings, BD's "Rotation" consists a 2-3 button CP generating rotation and two to three alternating options for finishers. Basically want to keep Dauntless Strike on the mob as much as possible, too.

Saboteur is nice ranged AoE, Marksman owns the ST ranged builds, Ranger is okay soloing, Riftstalker/Physician is apparently the closest you get to being a member of the Vigil, and Assassin is probably still one of the nicer ST melee builds if you don't like the fire-based NB.
    How are the rogue melee specs in terms of difficulty in executing. Ive Heard some people saying Nb/Sin is rather hard to play properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Cenderze View Post
    How are the rogue melee specs in terms of difficulty in executing. Ive Heard some people saying Nb/Sin is rather hard to play properly?
    I found them harder to get started with than say MM or Sin, but once you get them down, it's pretty straightforward. 61 Sin is still my favorite rogue spec to play and I'll often play Sin even if it isn't the most viable spec for the fight. It's definitely the easiest melee spec to play though it still lacks utility. I would be willing to argue that it is the easiest rogue ST spec to play, though ranger is pretty close in difficulty. With every fight though, you can be fairly competitive in MM if you play it correctly.

As for AoE, most still play the 1-3 button Sab spam and it works fine for dungeons, though I don't use it very often anymore. I mainly use BD for AoE stuff, plus it's more fun to play than Sab. As mentioned, NB can also put out pretty good AoE numbers, though it does lack sustainability.

And for mobility, most of the dps specs are almost entirely mobile, if not entirely mobile. Reaver beats MM out in that it is completely mobile and MM has a short cast finisher. But other than that, NB, nb/sin, Sin, Sab (I don't use the cast that Illuyanka mentioned), and BD are completely mobile.

Personally, I think Rogue dps is in a good spot right now. There could be some QoL changes and a few changes here and there, but that's about it.

Rogue is now top DPS due to mage nerfs.

Difficulty:

61NB = 1
    NB/Sin = 2
    MM = 3
    Assassin = 4

These numbers are based around the spec being played properly to min/max rotation.

DPS:

If you have Ice Zerker proc:

61NB = 1
    NB/Sin = 3
    Assassin = 2
    MM = 4

If you don't have Ice Zerker Proc:

61NB = 3
    NB/Sin = 2
    Assassin = 1
    MM = 4

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgad View Post
    Rogue is now top DPS due to mage nerfs.

Difficulty:

61NB = 1
    NB/Sin = 2
    MM = 3
    Assassin = 4

These numbers are based around the spec being played properly to min/max rotation.

DPS:

If you have Ice Zerker proc:

61NB = 1
    NB/Sin = 3
    Assassin = 2
    MM = 4

If you don't have Ice Zerker Proc:

61NB = 3
    NB/Sin = 2
    Assassin = 1
    MM = 4
    Pretty acurate. Imo assasin is not harder than mm .Also nbsin will always outperform assasin(unless the circumstances are really against nbsin) due to clinging spirit and the lack of armor debuff.

Heya guys, what's your opinion on the Vet.Huntsman preset? Haven't played for a while, just used my boost to 60 yesterday and it seems to be top1-2 in simple meter in the content for that level.

Is ok for endgame pve? Just noone seems to be mentioning it.
    Do I have to stich to MM if I want my rogue do be an rdps?

Quote Originally Posted by iFruit View Post
    Heya guys, what's your opinion on the Vet.Huntsman preset? Haven't played for a while, just used my boost to 60 yesterday and it seems to be top1-2 in simple meter in the content for that level.

Is ok for endgame pve? Just noone seems to be mentioning it.
    Do I have to stich to MM if I want my rogue do be an rdps?
    The huntsman presets are 61 ranger variations and they really aren't used at all for endgame because MM outperforms in every way. You don't have to switch, but if you want to be competitive, you should. You can level in whatever spec you want, but when you get to dungeons/raiding, it's going to be expected that you switch simply because the difficulty is comparable and MM is far superior in performance. Personally, I leveled in 61 Sin, but that was only because, as I mentioned, it's my favorite spec to play. It really lacks the utility for leveling, but it made things more interesting.

Thx, spent the evening setting up a 61 MM. It gave me an immediate boost of 4.5-6k dps on the manikin on my lvl 63 ****ty-dressed rogue compared to Vet. Huntsman. It is a fair bit more complicated, though. I now surpass any lfg players I get partied with by an equivalent amount.

I can't say I'm too happy with this as I'm fairly disappointed with the fact that such an authentic class as Ranger should be so incompetent. Playing a hunter+pet setup should not make me uncompetitive.

WHAT rogues on top for dps! what is this witchcraft!!?!??!!!1111oneoneone. Figures I play the game form 2ish years as the gimpy class and quit when it becomes the op one.

NT Tier 1 complete 12/18/2014!

+ Reply to Thread