+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Noobie Question

Soulwalker

Default Noobie Question

I just joined Rift. I like it a lot so far. I am still going through the classes to pick a main. I created a Mage which I am personally not getting into, I've been a Mage in other games and need something new / different and was thinking of creating a Saboteur as the class sounds pretty interesting for game play style. Can I get some feedback on the Saboteur class please. It would be very much appreciated.

It's a one button CQ and AoE Spec. Sab ST is lacking. Depending on your play style and if you care to be in the max dps spec then sab is a really enjoyable spec. I loved sab during the vanilla days when it was combined with other souls and was one amazing spec.

Like I said, sab amazing class, amazing design but doesn't live up to 61nb, 38/38 or 61mm.
    "TO PRO PHYS HEALS FOR JUUUU"

(Vanilla: Spongey@Keenblade "Nexilis")
    (Nightmare Tide: Excuse@Deepwood

You're not a Pyromancer or whatever, you're a Mage.
    You wouldn't be a Saboteur, you'd be a Rogue.
    Saboteur is an easy and high-damage AoE spec used for trash packs in dungeons and sometimes in Conquest. It's not great for open world stuff and is terrible for dungeon bosses. If Saboteur is the only spec you learn as a Rogue, you will be severely limited and possibly made fun of.

Soulwalker

I do plan on trying other classes, but the Saboteur got my interest for some reason and the reason for my next character choice to try out.

Thank you both for the great feedback !!!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    You're not a Pyromancer or whatever, you're a Mage.
    You wouldn't be a Saboteur, you'd be a Rogue.
    I had to re-read that until it sunk it. I get it now, lol.
    I don't want to or plan to be a noob for too long or made fun of.
    Seriously; Thank You for the correction!

Each Class can 20 different specs, each spec has 3 souls in whatever point spread, each class has 8 free to play souls and 2 that can be brought.

So you could make 5 Tank specs, 5 Healing specs, 5 Dps specs and 5 Support specs all on one Character.

You start off with one spec and you can buy more at your class trainer, in game they are called Roles, the price goes up as you buy more.

You can also reset a spec at the trainer, the spec which is active gets reset, and the price goes up the more you level.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 06-17-2015 at 08:04 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Soulwalker

Impressive to say the least! The more and more I research Rift, I can't beleive how much it has to offer. And I probably only researched 5%, lol. Thank you for your reply and more how the game mechanics run.

Rift Disciple

It is a really neat system, and something I have trouble letting go of when playing other MMOs.

Just to add to what Burning said, you can switch roles any time you're out of combat. So you can be adventuring, in the middle of a dungeon, in a warfront, instant adventure or wherever and swap to a different role. Later in the game, and especially in raiding, it's not uncommon to swap between 3-4 roles in a night. It definitely adds a flexibility and some fun decision making to the game.

You might check out the Roles Addon, which provides a handy way to swap between roles quickly. It can even swap equipment, wardrobe and settings for other addons when you change roles (like swapping to healing or tanking from dps).

Telaran

Hi Flamz,

Everyone was new to the game at one time so don't worry about any questions you have.

When I first started playing Rift I leveled a Ranger spec to level 21 and decided I didn't want to be a Ranger. Instead, I wanted to be a bard! So I created a new rogue so that I could be a bard. Two months later I realized that you could actually acquire different role slots and switch to another spec at any time! Talk about feeling stupid... hehe

In my opinion, Sab is an interesting role to say the least! I enjoy playing it and I do not even utilize all the skills the spec has to offer. Bombs everywhere! What could be more fun!? The only problem I have with this class is that it is not very single target friendly. You would do more damage with another spec when fighting one target than you would playing a sab.

If you're interested in the rogue class I would suggest looking at Rogue Guide Compendium It's very helpful with what stats are important for a rogue, what type of equipment to get, what spec builds are seen as most viable, and so on.

Hope you enjoy the game and ask us anything!

Plane Touched

It may be worth noting that past 6 each additional role slot will cost 600 credits/or 1000p up until the maximum of 20.

Welcome to Rift

I have six characters and played a Sab as my main for 4 years. I love him, how to play him correctly with maximum DPS, and the versatility and uniqueness of the Sab that much!

As stated above, you will eventually get into additional needed Roles. Master one, then another, then another. Sab's are not for everyone. You may love them or you may hate playing them. Try it and see for yourself.

For AoE they are amazing. Love the massive DPS. You do not need macros but they are most definitively helpful. If you need AoE macros, I have four AoE macros I use. Just PM me and I'll hook'ya up.

For Bosses as stated above, we lack dps - make sure you keep your two defuffs and all four DoT's on the Boss's at all times. If they are refreshing, go to Blast Charge for the time being. It's amazing how we go from max dps to mid (or less) dps when we get to a single boss.

For open world, questing, soloing, achievement hunting; it's all about pre-set up and you can take anything solo including Elites without breaking a sweat. The DPS can be amazing if you time everything to go off at the same time. Example: 5 C4-Charges, 1 Trap, Land Mines, two different Time Bombs (on different timers), two DD's and a Detonate Blast. The fat lady has sung and it's all over within a couple of "seconds". You need to learn what the rotation is for these by trial and error which is so much fun!

Pre-setup, pull & directing the mobs, knowing when to use carpet bomb and rapid fire and when to save them are all is essential. Also you do not just hit a couple of gem buttons to play them right. You need to act and click fast on many gem buttons "for the right reason of the ability and the effect you want to attain". You want to group your bombs, AoE's and Single Target abilities separately on your bars (I personally use 3 1/2 bars) for the best success.

Hope you enjoy and welcome to Rift!

I remember the days of Sab being so awesome, INCREMINATE WAS REQUIRED!!! lol, oh how I miss it
    "TO PRO PHYS HEALS FOR JUUUU"

(Vanilla: Spongey@Keenblade "Nexilis")
    (Nightmare Tide: Excuse@Deepwood

Soulwalker

Thumbs up

Amazing info. I am very impressed of the forum community here. A lot different/much better on many levels than other game forums by far! Thank you everyone for all of the above info. I have bookmarked this page

Quote Originally Posted by Spungey View Post
    I remember the days of Sab being so awesome, INCREMINATE WAS REQUIRED!!! lol, oh how I miss it
    Once a Mage won the roll for Rouge loot. He clicked Need for some strange reason. I always click Greed or Pass, never Need. So he made the top of my list for that event for my Incriminate. I would try as hard as I can to get aggro on as many mobs as possible, then Incriminate the cloth wearer. He kept dying over and over the entire event.
    Talk about fun karma

Quote Originally Posted by Spungey View Post
    Sabdancer.... the memories...

If you would like to be a Rogue super pro, you should consider getting one of the top PvE builds out there. This build is known as the Sabdancer, and it is primarily a melee build.
    http://www.junkiesnation.com/2011/08...the-sabdancer/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast