+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Someone quickly explain to me what the term 'Song Twisting' means please?

Default Someone quickly explain to me what the term 'Song Twisting' means please?

What is Song Twisting exactly, i was playing the Bard from 1 - 27 in BETA 5 and will continue to play it so i thought it would be good to know what 'Song Twisting' means.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jackzorz View Post
    What is Song Twisting exactly, i was playing the Bard from 1 - 27 in BETA 5 and will continue to play it so i thought it would be good to know what 'Song Twisting' means.
    Twisting means stacking short-term buffs before they expire and keeping them up by re-applying before they expire. This shouldn't be too terrible with the 30 second talented durations and relatively cheap costs of the motifs. Even easier with the rumored change to encouragement that would make it utterly useless in most circumstances.

Telaran

It was a term, that as far as I know, came from the EQ1 bard, where you had a great number of songs with limited durations (much like Rift's motifs) such that you could only play a few of them at a time in order to keep the 'buffs' constantly up. The act of repeatedly initiating the same few songs to reactivate the buffs as soon as or before they wore off, was known as twisting. Its been awhile but I believe that it was generally possible to 'twist' 3 songs at a time and expect to keep the buffs from those 3 songs up constantly, while truly skilled bards could 'twist' 4 songs with only a minimal period where only one of the four songs would be down for the briefest of times.

Ahhh, i see... thank you very much ;)

Soulwalker

The term comes from other games where you had some effect that lingered after swapping off the thing that provided it. Examples include the Bard in EQ, Shamans and Paladins in WoW. I never played a bard in EQ so I'll use the Paladin as a detailed example.

A paladin could put a 'Seal' up, which gave bonuses to his attack. He only got one seal at a time. One of the seals allowed his weapon swings to apply a stacking DoT. Once it was fully stacked, the only advantage that the seal gave was maintaining it. But since the dot lasted for a while (10 seconds I think), and at the time paladins didn't have much else to do while waiting on Consecrate to cooldown, some paladins would swap to another seal for 5-6 seconds then swap back to refresh, and repeat.

It has most commonly applied to bards, who naively could only keep up one song, but by twisting could have more up.

RIFTs system is not twisting in this respect, but since it requires a lot of gcds to maintain your multiple buffs as it did in the actual twisting situations, people refer to it the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bri bates View Post
    Twisting means stacking short-term buffs before they expire and keeping them up by re-applying before they expire. This shouldn't be too terrible with the 30 second talented durations and relatively cheap costs of the motifs. Even easier with the rumored change to encouragement that would make it utterly useless in most circumstances.
    In beta 5 it sure was trivial. Hit 5 buttons every 30 seconds, takes a grand total of, at most, 5 seconds to do, and is utterly boring :/ After level 30 there would have been another sixth buff to add, but I'm hoping for a change in mechanics here...

The major difference I've noticed is that the use of multiple motifs in this game is quite intended. I wasn't around for Everquest (sorry), but twisting in wow (as applied to shaman long ago and paladins less long ago) involved switching between two mutually-exclusive buffs fairly quickly so that you could have the effect of both at once.

Honestly, this term doesn't apply much here at all.

Rift Disciple

showing a bug, but you can see the action of twisting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os4bJw4xjYE

the spell bar on the left goes grey as the song is begining. once the song is up, the colors return, the song now last for like 12secs if i rem right. you then play another, then another, and repeat since the action of casting a song takes like 3 secs you can only keep 3-4 up at a time. you can see the buffs appearing and dropping on the right in the buff bar.

the major difference is that in EQ bards were all about the songs. it was their version of "spells" so you needed to twist in order to get the full benifit, they had no other real abilities outside of their songs. but their songs had tons of variety for different situations. In rift they are more short term buffs, and a bard does not rely completely on these short term buffs for every aspect of their play.
    Last edited by Archfiend_DD; 02-01-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Shadowlander

As others have said it comes from eq1 bards. There songs had a 3 second cast and 12 duration as a buff. So you would start a song, 3 seconds later cancel the song( the effect lasted 12 seconds. Start another, cancel after 3 more secs. Rinse and repete.
    The best bards could twist 3 songs. The very best bard was able to twist 4 songs in a raid. Confounded the dev team too.

+ Reply to Thread