+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is assassin viable for pvp in 3.2?

Default is assassin viable for pvp in 3.2?

so, I am just coming back to rift after a break, and the last time I played was before nightmare tides was released. I play a rogue, and am pretty much just a PvPer, but I have not been able to do much on terms of damage.is assassin viable, or am I better off going with something else?

It's good as a far point harasser on dom maps, not much more

Assassin is more viable than what he is painting!

Dom maps, Assassin great imho. Codex, and Antechamber as well since melee friendly. The only time any melee are worthless is the stupid derpfest mid games. The sorry pvp meta of this game is what lacks. Do like myself and random til charges are done and then just que Dom maps, Codex and Antechamber. Although, I switch it up and run 61nb as well but w/e flavor I'm feeling for the day.
    Last edited by Spungey; 06-17-2015 at 07:20 AM.
    "TO PRO PHYS HEALS FOR JUUUU"

(Vanilla: Spongey@Keenblade "Nexilis")
    (Nightmare Tide: Excuse@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Spungey View Post
    Assassin is more viable than what he is painting!

Dom maps, Assassin great imho. Codex, and Antechamber as well since melee friendly. The only time any melee are worthless is the stupid derpfest mid games. The sorry pvp meta of this game is what lacks. Do like myself and random til charges are done and then just que Dom maps, Codex and Antechamber. Although, I switch it up and run 61nb as well but w/e flavor I'm feeling for the day.
    codex is a dom map, ante is dom + flag. so what i said is true sin is only good on dom maps and only as off-point. if you are fighting for central points amongst lots of people you are better off playing something else and not utilizing the benefits of sin

also antechamber is horrible don't queue it, it is melee friendly sure, but the matches last forever and engaging in fights takes too much slow travel and too many obstacles create annoying combat
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 06-17-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Assassin and NB are fine, as long as the match isn't involving huge amounts of zerg surfing. Melee souls don't and can't get the heals they need to survive that amount of damage, but they are more then viable if the enemy is split up.

Most commonly in/on dom maps, but also Karthan Ridge (Regular) and Whitefall. Staying at near the spawn point, sapping their healers as they run out, and attacking them, is hugely beneficial, as not only will you likely kill him, you essentially take a healer out of the fight completely, and preoccupy at least one person.

Assassin and NB are much more about engaging, and winning, low numbered encounters like that.

No. It's only useful for domination maps and ninja capping things. Else NB>Sin or MM>Sin.

Quote Originally Posted by CDagger View Post
    Assassin and NB are fine, as long as the match isn't involving huge amounts of zerg surfing. Melee souls don't and can't get the heals they need to survive that amount of damage, but they are more then viable if the enemy is split up.

Most commonly in/on dom maps, but also Karthan Ridge (Regular) and Whitefall. Staying at near the spawn point, sapping their healers as they run out, and attacking them, is hugely beneficial, as not only will you likely kill him, you essentially take a healer out of the fight completely, and preoccupy at least one person.

Assassin and NB are much more about engaging, and winning, low numbered encounters like that.
    even with heals sin is pretty awful and lacks any type of burst outside of stealth opener. NB is extremely cooldown reliant as well and even with healbot MM would be better imo due to purge and CC
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 06-17-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Antechamber is an amazing map and your reason of saying its a horrible map cause your a one trick pony and los comes into play big time. MM is just to boring anymore, but that's my opinion.
    "TO PRO PHYS HEALS FOR JUUUU"

(Vanilla: Spongey@Keenblade "Nexilis")
    (Nightmare Tide: Excuse@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Spungey View Post
    Antechamber is an amazing map and your reason of saying its a horrible map cause your a one trick pony and los comes into play big time. MM is just to boring anymore, but that's my opinion.
    Lol 1 trick pony? I play sin or nb on dom maps. Antechamber is the most hated map by basically all players, you are the first person I've ever seen say they enjoy it. It is a horrible map design thst promotes turtling by design and almost always runs full game length due to that. And it has nothing to do with los it has to do with obstacles interfering with getting to actual battles quickly

@OT

Unless you are very skilled, meaning you outskill any ranged player, no melee is really viable in a way that it is competitive in the PVP world of Rift. But if you are a dedicated Assassin, you might someday figure out how to outclass your ranged opponent, or you quit the game.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRyco View Post
    @OT

Unless you are very skilled, meaning you outskill any ranged player, no melee is really viable in a way that it is competitive in the PVP world of Rift. But if you are a dedicated Assassin, you might someday figure out how to outclass your ranged opponent, or you quit the game.
    sin can outclass most ranged if they get opener from out of stealth, but they lack purge/burst to be worth much outside of stealth openers and in any type of group fight, same with NB. NB without stealth opener + CDs is pretty awful compared to an MM. Also since there is so much ranged if you are sin or NB you are guaranteed to get tab targeted. NB at least has TT, sin you will just get rekt since sin has 0 defense other than slip away which is a waste to use defensively
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 06-18-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Soulwalker

Sin was labeled as one of the highest, if not THE highest damage output spec we have at the beginning of 3.1. It still has proven to outburst and out sustain the other builds. In PVP, your damage is decreased but it still has a string opening burst from stealth and sustains that damage thru poisons.

I find it interesting that there are so many complaints about sin damage only being good from stealth, when obviously the entire spec revolves around it. Once you master the art of stealth opening and positioning behind the target, the spec is fun to play.

We lack a true interrupt, but poison gas when used correctly, can make up for that. Rogues aren't meant to take a ton of damage and keep going, that's why we use slip away to escape it and shift the fight in our favor. Sin is a viable spec, both in pve and pvp, but keep in mind that this game is not exactly melee friendly. Work on positioning, disengaging and reengaging targets in both environments and you will really begin to see its power.

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    even with heals sin is pretty awful and lacks any type of burst outside of stealth opener. NB is extremely cooldown reliant as well and even with healbot MM would be better imo due to purge and CC
    NB puts out arguably the most burst in the game, speculatively, depending on how and when it catches it's target. It's not uncommon for my NB to implode 100k chloro's in under 6 seconds.

Then there's the gear scaling on NB. NB alone is nasty. If you have a transformation greater, it's not uncommon to dump the entirety (17k ethereal damage) in two finishers.

It's finishers commonly hitting for over 12k a pop, and while I'ld say yes, it is CD reliant, it's about as CD reliant as Reaver is, meaning sure, it's CD reliant, but those CD's cycle so fast it's nearly a moot point.

As for assassin, the damage assassin has is still incredibly higher, particularly during malice. While most maps would favor MM if you decided to zerg surf, both sin and NB have specific niches that make them desirable. Sins stun potential can be devastating, as can it's overall damage, while NB's burst makes most specs look like wet noodles.
    Last edited by CDagger; 06-26-2015 at 09:06 AM.

cool, thx guys! I did end up finding a really nice NB build that is really great for burst. I found it on youtube by GrimGaming Rift, real nice build, real nice burst, I really love it

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by psalty View Post
    cool, thx guys! I did end up finding a really nice NB build that is really great for burst. I found it on youtube by GrimGaming Rift, real nice build, real nice burst, I really love it
    Thats probably the worst 61nb guide ever written.

Check this one...http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...dps-guide.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast