+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Poison works???

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default Poison works???

    Is poison worth it to put all these points into Assassin??

    So my idea for this build is for PvE, to always stay ranged from the mobs with movement, poison my arrows (only reason for Assassin soul), and have a pet to keep some aggro or be cannonfodder when necessary. I have tweaked it over and over for the past two weeks and would now like to get others' thoughts on any changes. I know some might think I am gimping myself to only go up halfway in two souls instead of fully in at least one, so that is why I am curious what other rogue players think. I just really like the idea of poison arrows and if I go up as high as I can to do that, I am not left with much after that.

    Thanks in advance for your opinions!

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....EMob.0iR0xcbV

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turl View Post
    Is poison worth it to put all these points into Assassin??

    So my idea for this build is for PvE, to always stay ranged from the mobs with movement, poison my arrows (only reason for Assassin soul), and have a pet to keep some aggro or be cannonfodder when necessary. I have tweaked it over and over for the past two weeks and would now like to get others' thoughts on any changes. I know some might think I am gimping myself to only go up halfway in two souls instead of fully in at least one, so that is why I am curious what other rogue players think. I just really like the idea of poison arrows and if I go up as high as I can to do that, I am not left with much after that.

    Thanks in advance for your opinions!

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....EMob.0iR0xcbV
    hum... the poison is more like a little DOT but its not that strong dont count on it to kill something while kitting.

  3. #3
    Telaran Haliit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    If your only real purpose for Assassin is to get poison, I don't see the point of sticking that many points into the soul. Yes, there are better poisons in the root, but you can do a lot more with 25 points in your other souls than just get a little poison damage,

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haliit View Post
    If your only real purpose for Assassin is to get poison, I don't see the point of sticking that many points into the soul. Yes, there are better poisons in the root, but you can do a lot more with 25 points in your other souls than just get a little poison damage,
    Bleh. That's good and bad to hear. Thank you for letting me know (good). Just wish it was not so bad in damage (bad).

    I have always liked the poison aspect when it is available for characters I create in games; pen-n-paper D&D, mudds, some MMO's, etc. I am surprised that they have so many soul skills that you can put points into for poison and it is not that much of an effective feature. Maybe it will be a "back burner" build until Trion gives it a second look and some more love?

  5. #5
    Plane Touched MightyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haliit View Post
    If your only real purpose for Assassin is to get poison, I don't see the point of sticking that many points into the soul. Yes, there are better poisons in the root, but you can do a lot more with 25 points in your other souls than just get a little poison damage,
    Do you know the Sassins talents?
    those 25 points get you
    +5%crit
    +4%physical dmg
    +10%damage for 10sec after crit
    +20% crit damage for physical

    only 8 points go into poisons. But i agree, i dont know if those are worth it.

  6. #6
    Telaran Haliit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    I do know the Assassins talents, but he said his only real goal with it was the poisons.

    He could do 10 pts in Nightblade for 15% damage to finishers and combo point generators, and then spread 15 more points into his main souls.

    I love the Assassin soul, but for what he's doing he could either use it more effectively or drop it and spread those points.

  7. #7
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyK View Post
    Do you know the Sassins talents?
    those 25 points get you
    +5%crit
    +4%physical dmg
    +10%damage for 10sec after crit
    +20% crit damage for physical

    only 8 points go into poisons. But i agree, i dont know if those are worth it.
    Main reason was for poison. Since some of those were high I had to find things to put them into. So I picked the ones that would best aid a ranged damage dealer in order to get to those poison skills.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Overall I say the posions talents are pretty bad. Posion does do dmg but noway in is 8 soul points worth it and that's the general agreements on the forum.

    Especially since most typical Sins will have only one posion on their weapons due to the fact that the NB if talented has Melted Skin that puts a 5% extra dmg taked debuff on the target with their Flaming weapon chant thingy that like a posion.

    I'm putting points into Subterfuge, Double Cross, and Slip Away rather than in the posions to test out the dmg Jagged Strike can do if specced for maximized DPS.
    Last edited by Ambros; 02-01-2011 at 11:27 AM.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple Aglethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Well, poisons can be a significant part of a build, but probably not on a ranged build. To get the most out of them you want to be dual wielding daggers (which looks to be much more viable now with the coming normalization of weapon skill damage) to generate the most number of hits and therefore procs from the poisons (with a bow/gun you have only one weapon for auto attacks with a 2.6, dual daggers gets you two 1.8s, and none of the melee attacks have cast times). The other reason you need to be in melee to make poisons really work is the Sin's Baneful Touch finisher, which adds +50% damage to poison procs for up to a minute with all 5 combo points.

    So if you really want to make a poison focused build, you can, but you probably don't want it to be on your ranged DPS build.

    -Aglethe
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Perez-Reverte
    "He no longer had the youth, the innocence, or the desire to go and fight at a place chosen by his opponents, three duels arranged in ten minutes, in the grounds of the Carmelite convent or wherever the hell it might be. When the time came to say hello, he'd make sure he approached Rochefort with everything in his favor, if possible from behind, with a steel bar in his hand... Corso would settle his debts calmly. Biding his time."

  10. #10
    Telaran Haliit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    This is a solo gank build focused on poisons that I want to try at some point

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0c.GARfpsbazbo

  11. #11
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyK View Post
    Do you know the Sassins talents?
    those 25 points get you
    +5%crit
    +4%physical dmg
    +10%damage for 10sec after crit
    +20% crit damage for physical

    only 8 points go into poisons. But i agree, i dont know if those are worth it.
    Dont forget the +5% Crit for applying Lethal Poison

    my main is going to be a MM, but I am really trying to figure out if I would rather go heavier in Assassin or Ranger. Both have their perks, but I really like the damage modifiers in the Sin Tree, since most of them will work for range attack. CC and Stealth are also a huge bonus for me.

    Final build may look something like this:

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....VMo.0AMotcboz

  12. #12
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aglethe View Post
    Well, poisons can be a significant part of a build, but probably not on a ranged build. To get the most out of them you want to be dual wielding daggers (which looks to be much more viable now with the coming normalization of weapon skill damage) to generate the most number of hits and therefore procs from the poisons (with a bow/gun you have only one weapon for auto attacks with a 2.6, dual daggers gets you two 1.8s, and none of the melee attacks have cast times). The other reason you need to be in melee to make poisons really work is the Sin's Baneful Touch finisher, which adds +50% damage to poison procs for up to a minute with all 5 combo points.

    So if you really want to make a poison focused build, you can, but you probably don't want it to be on your ranged DPS build.

    -Aglethe
    Agree, going in the tree for the poison should not be your main focus as a range DD, but there are plenty of other damage modifiers that make the tree great as well. Dual wielders will of course benefit most from a number of applications standpoint, but I dont think a ranged class will have a problem of keeping Lethal Poisons up on anyone when it has a 15 second duration. An extra 5% crit is a very powerful modifier...
    Last edited by Napper; 02-01-2011 at 12:34 PM.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple Aglethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Napper View Post
    Agree, going in the tree for the poison should not be your main focus as a range DD, but there are plenty of other damage modifiers that make the tree great as well. Dual wielders will of course benefit most from a number of applications standpoint, but I dont think a ranged class will have a problem of keeping Lethal Poisons up on anyone when it has a 15 second duration. An extra 5% crit is a very powerful modifier...
    True, I was speaking more towards poisons as a direct damage focus themselves, but Lethal Poison is good for anyone for the debuff alone.

    -Aglethe
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Perez-Reverte
    "He no longer had the youth, the innocence, or the desire to go and fight at a place chosen by his opponents, three duels arranged in ten minutes, in the grounds of the Carmelite convent or wherever the hell it might be. When the time came to say hello, he'd make sure he approached Rochefort with everything in his favor, if possible from behind, with a steel bar in his hand... Corso would settle his debts calmly. Biding his time."

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyraxi View Post
    hum... the poison is more like a little DOT but its not that strong dont count on it to kill something while kitting.
    I dunno if it's a bug or how it suppose to work but my poisons (which at my level are Virulent and Lethal Poisons) proc off of my Ranger's Splinter Shot AND my Nightblades Fiery Spike, so I could see it being used for kiting.

  15. #15
    Prophet of Telara Pipra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Assassins really need a -50% heal debuff poison to match the NB's one. Either that, or give NBs better stealth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts