+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning to Rogue..nothing updated?

Default Returning to Rogue..nothing updated?

I have returned to running my Rogue since leveling my Mage up. After browsing all the forum posts and doing several Google searches for something newer, I have come up with "confusion" in what is actually working well in NT expansion.

My Rogue is currently 60 1/2 and just starting to open up the Plane of Water areas. Got an older useless Ranger build that I have to redo...and between all the lack luster specs from 2 years ago to the stupid pet problems, I have no idea what is going to be viable for a solo ranged Rogue w/pig tank.

So there has got to be something that is better than pre NT builds available, but for the life of me I just cannot find anything that gives me the ability to solo without dying in 4 seconds. The pig is totally ignored by mobs and they come rushing to my side pounding me down before I can actually do much damage.

Does anyone have any good information that I can use for this dilemma?

P.S. I am not interested in pvp nor do I like melee, so please don't even suggest those.
    Last edited by lynspottery; 05-07-2015 at 08:02 AM.

Shadowlander

Markman got major reworked and now is one of the strongest range dps specs in the game.

Guide:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...man-guide.html
    Last edited by Santourye; 05-07-2015 at 08:20 AM.

Yeah the new marksman is what you're looking for. The reason you're having trouble finding guides is that most of the guides were just updated instead of reposted, so if you read some of them, they'll have masteries and such added.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Thank you, I shall check that out. Just reset two of my build points so I will also look into a healing or support build too.

Looked at the soul setup posted with that build and don't see where the pet is going to be useful since it doesn't go far enough to get the greater pig...so appears I will need to rethink my "tank" pet role in my play.

I just hope there will be some more changes and updates for the Rogues that will include using the pets. It helps if you can send in your own pig/tank to get the mobs' attention then start wailing away at them from distance...but not if they ignore the "tank" altogether like I have experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by lynspottery View Post
    Thank you, I shall check that out. Just reset two of my build points so I will also look into a healing or support build too.

Looked at the soul setup posted with that build and don't see where the pet is going to be useful since it doesn't go far enough to get the greater pig...so appears I will need to rethink my "tank" pet role in my play.

I just hope there will be some more changes and updates for the Rogues that will include using the pets. It helps if you can send in your own pig/tank to get the mobs' attention then start wailing away at them from distance...but not if they ignore the "tank" altogether like I have experienced.
    Yeah Marksman doesn't use a pet. For soloing, it relies on the extra damage and the utility (knockback, stun, root, purge, interrupt). If you have trouble surviving, you can take the 4 points out of Nightblade and put them in Physician for some extra heals or Riftstalker for some extra base health. And Ranger is slowly becoming a soloing soul, so hopefully they'll come around with that sooner rather than later. Over the summer, Vladd announced new pets for Ranger and Beastmaster, but I haven't heard anything since.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

I wish they would get a move on for Rangers. I truly enjoy a pet class and feel the current iteration of the Ranger is sub par. Adding a new pet isn't really going to solve the problem, there needs to be adjustments made so that current pets actually work properly. That link you provided is from last year November so have no idea where Vladd is on that at this point in time.

My pig either stands by my side regardless of multiple key presses for him to attack, or when he does attack, he does not always go to chosen target. The raptor on the other hand runs out immediately and starts his attacks, but on occasion, he loses his mind and starts attacking anything that interests him, not chosen target.

But if I want to run with a tank pet, the pig just is ignored by most mobs even though I used the full 61 Ranger build with greater pets...not much "great" about their ability to damage or hold aggro. My raptor does a better job of not dying in a big group fight...at least he is alive at the end of those encounters while the silly pig has to be re-summoned.
    Last edited by lynspottery; 05-15-2015 at 12:57 PM.

My pig either stands by my side regardless of multiple key presses for him to attack, or when he does attack, he does not always go to chosen target. The raptor on the other hand runs out immediately and starts his attacks, but on occasion, he loses his mind and starts attacking anything that interests him, not chosen target.
    Did you have the tank pet on passive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    I admit, even I am not genius enough to design a game with PvP, that gets filled with players who hate dislike PvP engaging in it, and ruin the PvP for the people who want to PvP. I mean, let's hand it. That is pretty insane genius. I am thinking of the potential I could have in life if I mastered this. If I could design something and get people who don't even want to do it, flooding my gates doing it on their own will.

I just hope there will be some more changes and updates for the Rogues that will include using the pets.
    I was so happy when Trion downgraded the pet ranger to a noob farm spec.
    Ranger was never a farm spec for me i always used Tac or Bard as farm specs as you could deal with multiple mobs.
    Sad side is that you find tons of those pet noobs in the Nightmare Rifts, even worst some still use their tankpets.
    I am the weapon, my daggers are just tools
    Security Warning:This human beeing may use cynicism and sarcasm in a way you are not accustomed to, you might suffer severe mental damage
    Starfall Prophecy ALL Content cleared

Plane Touched

If you insist on using ranger and the pet isn't attacking your current target then stick the following line into your spam macro:
    petattack

Telaran

It sounds like you need to set your pets to 'defensive' instead of 'passive' and 'aggressive' respectively.
    Valys, Minor Goddess of Spoons
    <Dies In Fires>
    ROF 4/4 RA ~ MS 4/5 ~ TF 1/3
    our recruitment post

Soulwalker

Default Rogue

I have been playing 41 Tactician/Everything else to Marksman hybrid since level 50, still have a long way to go and I feel like I am going to stick with it forever. It's AoE Ranged with decent self heals. Saboteur has higher AoE dps but terrible survivability, Bladedancer is not consistent, so I think it's the best AoE Rogue out there (at least for leveling). I can take on like 80 rift mobs and kill them in less than 10 seconds... Absolutely loving it.

Ok, to address the comments about whether or not my pet was set on passive or defensive, the answer is defensive. I also have petattack in my macros as well as a single hot key just for time when I send him in to distract the mobs (tilde key works really well for this).

I really like the MM build Santourye provided and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I have the pet out but because he is such a low-life (pun intended), I have him set on follow/passive...and use him as my stat stick for some of my buffs. Named him appropriately, "Tincan" .......

However, I have found a decent Ranger build and the pet actually works quite well on this one. It appears to be a hybrid that one of my guild mates put together and she assisted me with some macros and pointers on how to setup for damage and such. I've used it successfully in zone rifts against those bosses.

My rogue is now 62 1/2 and even though she is wearing crap gear, does seem to do quite a lot better than I expected. The build is not listed anywhere on the forums and I don't have sufficient understanding of theory craft to provide a guide for it, but here is the information I can share.

12 Assassin (2-Ruthlessness, 5-Murderous Intent, 5-Magnify Pain)
    61 Ranger
    3 Nightblade (3-Burning Rage)

I have 3 buffs that I tend to try and keep up all the time - Ravenous Instincts, Feral Instincts, Predatory Instincts. They are instant casts so you can't really macro them unless you stick them in with something else. I have them on separate keys within easy reach so I can use when needed.

3-1hr buffs>> Leeching Poison, Virulent Poison and spirit of the Wilderness

I use only two macros which seem to work fairly well.
    1. My beginning macro that I use to cast Feral Aggression and Animalism with my finisher Twin shot at the end.

2. I have Splinter shot on my #2 key for instant help with bleeds then start my macro.

3. Spam Macro: Piercing shot/shadow fire/ace shot (in that order) Once I get Energy Manipulation I'll put it in front of those.

I also have setup some of my Aoe keys with cast @gtae so I don't have to worry about using my cursor. For instance: #show Pin Down, suppressmacrofailures, cast @gtae Pin Down, petattack.

Still a work in progress and I am sure I will be shifting things around as I level and find what works better for my play style.

So far I only have 2 masteries: Planar Replenishment and Adamant Resolve.

If anyone can use this, you are welcome to it. But please keep in mind, I am not a theory crafter and cannot even claim this to be the best for anyone to use. I just know it is working better than what I had before and I am enjoying it.
    Last edited by lynspottery; 05-14-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Plane Touched

Unless your guildmate is from Apotheosys, that particular ranger build has been around for a while. Gery has done all the theorycrafting so that you don't have to

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...dps-guide.html
    Last edited by Kaltai; 05-14-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaltai View Post
    Unless your guildmate is from Apotheosys, that particular ranger build has been around for a while. Gery has done all the theorycrafting so that you don't have to

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...dps-guide.html
    That's great...I did not ask her where she got it, so was totally unfamiliar with it. Thanks for this link.

Plane Walker

I like simple bard for most solo activities -- zone events, IAs, dailies, chronicles. It has high running speed, high health, good self healing (especially when fighting multiple mobs), solid damage against multiple mobs.

If I want to kill one or two targets quickly and ride off, then it's marksman or 38/38 assassin nightblade hybrid.

+ Reply to Thread