+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 32 Riftstalker / 34 Nightblade build.

Default 32 Riftstalker / 34 Nightblade build.

Along with my Sab build I have been thinking about the following Riftstalker/Nightblade build. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Rko.iIdRMq0Mso Seems very viable to me but wanted other's opinions as during Beta I have only played Sab/Ranger/Marks build.
    I love this game!
    Proud member of the Sunder Gaming Community.
    My planned build for live 34 Bard / 28 Ranger / 4 Riftstalker : http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...az.EMcf00ksk.m

Needs more heat retention/coup de grace, for sure. I think you could stand to lose a few points in riftstalker and still keep it viable as an off-tank.

I love this game!
    Proud member of the Sunder Gaming Community.
    My planned build for live 34 Bard / 28 Ranger / 4 Riftstalker : http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...az.EMcf00ksk.m

Champion of Telara

Planar Switch -- don't see this being overly useful in general. I tend to burn my CPs on finishers as or before the enemy dies. Also note that NBs have exceptionally potent finishers due to the combination of Heat Retention and other stuff -- aka you will probably be using them to finish people.

Rift Guard -- not bad in theory, but I don't anticipate using this with 3x NB. Your survivability with that much RS can be sustained with teleports. In addition, NB has some good defensive cooldowns. Personally, I think I would rarely burn 5cps on Rift Guard. Instead, I would switch all the points for RG and its upgrade to Rift Barrier. This seems much more clean to me.

Phantom Blow -- similar to the above, I don't believe I will ever use that ability. As an NB/RS, you need to think about your playstyle. Do you plan on tanking stuff? Do you need durability over time, or burst survivability? Phantom Blow is a durability skill. It's not there to deal with burst damage. Will you use it? Me: no.

Exceptional Resilience and Boosted Recovery -- these two abilities seem to be the most amazingly potent defensive buffs in the entire tree, and each for a cheap cost. I would totally pick them up. Either of them is more potent in any group situation than the 15% endurance (although the raw HP might be better in a 1v1).

--------------------

Primal Death -- this is a sustained damage talent. If you plan on spending a large amount of time in melee rollfacing (PVE) through all your other abilities (Dusk Strike, Twilight Force, Dusk Till Dawn, Fiery Spike, finishers) and still have extra energy to spare (group energy buffs from, say, a Bard and Stormcaller), then Primal Death becomes a plausible option. Until then, it is strictly inferior to other abilities in the tree. Also note that Primal Strike is physical damage -- QQ.

Fire and Death Attunement -- this is a highly efficient expenditure of talent points. You should weigh every passive talent point investment against a 1% increase in total damage. If a talent is less than that, then it's slightly weak (1% crit per talent point is bad, for example). If a talent is more than that, then it is efficient. Fire and Death Attunement give 1% total damage and 5% Fire/Death resist. While that won't help physical/air/earth/water/life spam, you will have a particularly effective trump against other Nightblades, Riftblades, Pyros, Eles, Archons, Warlocks, Necros, and caster Clerics.

Eventide -- this is potent because both abilities it buffs are much better than Primal Strike. And, it boosts their damage on top.

Enhanced Weapon Enchantments -- this is plausible for sustained damage (PvE) if you use the high-damage weapon enchant (Smouldering Blade). For PvP, you will use the heal debuff instead, making this talent worthless.

Heat Retention -- don't skip it ~_~. It's like a 15% total damage increase that is backloaded on your finishers. Efficient passive damage bonus, AND it's compressed into your spike/burst.

Enkindle -- ok if you're planning on AoE PvE or a PvP premade bomb setup, otherwise useless.

Nightstalker -- major damage boost for your major burst abilities during enemy execute range. Excellent ability in general. In terms of total damage (PvE analysis), it is +30% damage on around 60% of your damage sources, for a little under 30% of the fight. So, about 5% increase. For PvP, it's highly potent, since the last 30% is harder to kill than the first 70% -- people start hitting panic buttons or receiving major heals when they hit that area.

Overall your current build lacks focus. It seems to pick up some defensive abilities and then some damage boosts, but you need to think about what you want to use the build for -- sustained PvE, leveling PvE, PvP burst kite, or PvP sustained combat, group PvP or 1v1, etc.

Personally, I'm going 38 / 28 NB/RS to enable me to get more of the high-synergy talents in the NB. The loss off some survivability from RS is balanced against the acquisition of the NB 44 point, which provides another good defensive clicky. Otherwise my RS investment is for pure survivability and teleport utility. I even skipped the Shadow Assault (?) upgrade damage to fill out Rift Barrier.
    Last edited by EasymodeX; 02-01-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    Planar Switch -- don't see this being overly useful in general. I tend to burn my CPs on finishers as or before the enemy dies. Also note that NBs have exceptionally potent finishers due to the combination of Heat Retention and other stuff -- aka you will probably be using them to finish people.
    Planar Switch can be pretty amazing in organized PvP where you are focusing targets down and may need to change targets as the opposing players react with heals/defensive cooldowns. For instance jumping on a healer and getting them low, they pop every survivability talent they have, so you switch to a DPS target and initiate with a 5 point finisher. That's pretty powerful.

I would never go that deep into RS just for that, but I'm already going heavy into RS because I just can't pass up freedom of movement, hasted time, and an instant banish if i'm already going deep enough for the core teleport/survivability talents.

Champion of Telara

When you have like 60 talent points spent, you need to weigh each of the last points between one tree or the other.

Sure it's only like ~3 points or so to pick up Planar Switch. But, is Planar Switch worth losing Twilight Transcendence? I think not.

Your comment about CP retention is fine though -- I agree it's not worthless per se. It's just that it sucks up energy for a decent, but not really great effect. Kind of lackluster for a 31 point ability when it has to be traded against other stuff that really kicks ***. At least it doesn't blow a GCD.

Honestly, I wonder when MMOs will stop copying WoW's "CP on target" system and start using Warhammer's "CP stored on the character" so players don't have to mess with the CP loss. Hell even Diablo 2 used that style. It's a lot of extra tedium for very minor mechanic depth.

Also, I'm moderately surprised that Rift didn't rip Warhammer's offensive/defensive target system. It made for a lot of unique abilities and a smoother interface. But, that's a random tangent ...

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    Honestly, I wonder when MMOs will stop copying WoW's "CP on target" system and start using Warhammer's "CP stored on the character" so players don't have to mess with the CP loss. Hell even Diablo 2 used that style. It's a lot of extra tedium for very minor mechanic depth..
    This is the mechanic for the warrior class; heck, they stay with the character even if it logs out between betas (at least they did).

I have been playing a NB/RS since beta 1 and I want people to stop talking about them

I cant wait to stealth, lost hope one, smother another, teleport into the group, pop Blackout and then Living Flame while having the 15% crit buff from ruthless stalker, then teleport out.

Sounds fun on paper anyway.

Now, let's stop talking about NB

CPK

Well, my question is, are planes-shifting abilities all on the same cooldown? I haven't been able to test this myself.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by CPK View Post
    Well, my question is, are planes-shifting abilities all on the same cooldown? I haven't been able to test this myself.
    Edit: (sorry multitasking at work)
    They do not share a cooldown.
    There is an ability to lower the CD but depending on how far you go in the RS tree you acquire enough that this seems unnecessary since you can rotate.
    Last edited by DareDelvis; 02-01-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Each teleport is a seperate cooldown

CPK

Quote Originally Posted by DareDelvis View Post
    Yes, there is an ability to lower the CD but depending on how far you go in the RS tree you acquire enough that this seems unnecessary.
    Right, but that still leaves a 30-second cooldown. I don't know, I just don't see what makes the deeper levels of RS so amazing for PvP. Don't get me wrong, its defensive capabilities are amazing, but it really isn't the offensive tree that many claim it to be. I'd rather just stop at 7 Riftstalker for Exceptional Resilience and the initial planes-shift ability, and have the rest of the points to boost more offense, at least for Nightblade. I guess it just comes down to personal preference, though.

CPK

Quote Originally Posted by Eltharas View Post
    Each teleport is a seperate cooldown
    So each planes-shifting ability has its own separate cooldown? That changes everything, then.
    Last edited by CPK; 02-01-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Telaran

I mistyped, they are on separate CD.
    Each is 45 seconds.
    (Can be lowered to 30.)
    Buffs last 10 seconds.
    So you can rotate to keep buffs active 20 seconds between the two you get with 14 points in the tree.
    As you hit 21 points you have 4 teleports.

Rift Chaser

Google rift alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rafkin_Yscar View Post
    Google rift alpha
    no changes to riftstalker in the one i've found

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast