+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Marksmen Discussion

Default The Marksmen Discussion

Now that I have Canceled my other mmo memberships pand pre-ordered rift, I can start to take this game a little more seriously. The reason this thread was created was to discuss the ranged dps abilitys of the marksmen/ranger. And the best racial passive to go with, ranged dps/pvp in mind. First of all let me start by saying I love archers and have been playing them for quite some time in many different games. I love the feel of the marksmen in this game and look forward to unlocking skills past lvl 30. *

-First thing on the menu is the best racial passive for the marksmen.

Hands down the added crit and Dmg from the defiant kelari is outstanding. Any rouge should drool over those kind of numbers. The marksmen on the other hand could use a little help elsewhere.. In the * High elf department.. Eairly game i can see the passive being useful for pve and pvp. But once your lvl 30/end game and you have bullseye, quick reload and hit and run your going to need all the energy you can get. Instant cast empowered shot followed up with bulls eye and a deadeye shot+quick reload = your target trying to get out of range of you as quickly as possible. If thier a squishy, that combo if done correctly, makes them tip over with ease. Even with bulls eye and quick reload on cd you still have a 20% chance to crit them just as hard (eagle eye+killer instinct) . That 20% feels more like 40%.*

The marksmen is extremely energy dependent. The current regen on the kelari really handicaps the true power of the marksmen. With a little more regen you could get off more instant cast empowered shots and dead eye's and absolutely make it rain on your oponent. The delay of being under 60 energy really wastes the time of your hit and run. Wich in combination with the skills mentioned above, is really your flag ship skill.*

In conclusion energy regen will make or break marksmens maximum dmg output. I am sure this is the case for other energy using classes but for the marksmen it very pertinent. I am aware of consumables that increase energy regen for seconds but the cd is not 5 mins. Once its gone its gone and man do i miss them. Those little treats in combination with the high elf passive? Show me my oponent.

-Escape/kiting ability

I am ofc going with ranger/marksmen the third i have been playing around with. I find that because i spill so many points into marksmen/ranger to hit like i do, the most beificial 3rd class is the sabo. The aoe 60% slow in combination with on the double/getaway can get you out of some very sticky situations in a snap, and get u in range for a solid root and some ranged punishment. The rift stalker port u initaly get is very fun to play with, But i find it unreliable. I can cover much more ground with on the double then a blink that dosent even put me out of range of a warriors very anoying charge/teleport bs. The sec click to move teleport in combination is outstanding. But the ******ed ammount of points u have to invest in the tree for it makes your marksmen feel like a lvl 7 druid. Maybe down the road i can afford to trash 20 skill points for a sec teleport but at 30. Its a little silly. Have fun with that daggers.

Other marksmen out their plz give me your feedback.*

P.s. My spelling and grammer are prob trash im an ipad so deal with it.

Soulwalker

Default I'm n same boat!

ranger-marksmen for me - currently leaning towards sabo, but assn looks good with blind. ranger/marks only have a few close range attacks so assn would be good, but sabo with low point value keeps targets at a distance. It's a close call - question is sabo or assn or nightblade for 3rd tree - ? - I'm not so big on flaming daggers lol.

There is still allot of changes incoming for all classes. I expect Marksman to get allot of love.

I will be going Marksmen/Assassin/Infiltrator. With the possible upcoming changes to Serrated Blades in the Assassin soul it will proc off of ranged attacks.

Here is my final build as it stands for PvP:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0VMft0boz.xx0M

This damage focus of this build is mainly single target. Meant for hanging out in the backlines grinding Favor/Prestige in Warfronts and solo ganking in world PvP.
    Last edited by Gankenstein; 02-01-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Plane Touched

On the point of the racials, don't get too caught up in them for now because chances are that they're going to be changed at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Brolaf View Post
    ranger-marksmen for me - currently leaning towards sabo, but assn looks good with blind. ranger/marks only have a few close range attacks so assn would be good, but sabo with low point value keeps targets at a distance. It's a close call - question is sabo or assn or nightblade for 3rd tree - ? - I'm not so big on flaming daggers lol.
    I have to disagree. I think u will be spread a little to thin if u want to actualy dish out respectable melee damage and still be able to out dps a clerics heals from 40 yards away. Ofc u can do anything you want. Thats the beauty of this game. There is really no yellow brick road for you to follow. But at the same time i believe that your melee game or ranged game will suffer. I could be wrong i havent had the lvl/skill points to try it out and building a skill tree online can only prove so much, untill your facing an all out marksmen/ranger with close quarters combat. Aka doing just as much damage to you toe to toe as he would from 40 yards away. And the cooldown is only 60 seconds. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by darklcd View Post
    On the point of the racials, don't get too caught up in them for now because chances are that they're going to be changed at some point.
    Uh O... For the better i hope.

In my Marksman discussion I've distilled things down to this build as of current: This is PvP focused

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VMfdcboz.Vro0k

The big focus is on speed/range. With that 5m buffer and all your speed+snares, not to mention the ability to stealth and pick targets, you should never let yourself get into a situation where you're outgunned.

Mobility is key for Marksman
    Last edited by Haliit; 02-01-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzu View Post
    There is still allot of changes incoming for all classes. I expect Marksman to get allot of love.
    You are seriously terrible at Rift if you think marksman need any type of love

Quote Originally Posted by Haliit View Post
    In my Marksman discussion I've distilled things down to this build as of current: This is PvP focused

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VMfdcboz.Vro0k

The big focus is on speed/range. With that 5m buffer and all your speed+snares, not to mention the ability to stealth and pick targets, you should never let yourself get into a situation where you're outgunned.

Mobility is key for Marksman
    I like it. Mobility definitely essential, it will seperate the good marksmen from the dead marksmen. Im not sure i would have gone as deep as you did into assassin but i like the idea of being able to stealth and play wheres waldo with priority targets like healers. Sniped! Gg.
    Last edited by Jstue32; 02-01-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bejita View Post
    I still hope hes right.... Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Bejita View Post
    And your something special scrub?

Suggest read the Alpha notes and see the upcoming changes to every class including Marksman.

There is indeed a little bit of Marksman love in the alpha notes.

Slight damage boosts, but one of them requires you to be standing still, so its usefulness is debatable in PvP. Really good for PvE though

Plus some cooldown love
    Last edited by Haliit; 02-01-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haliit View Post
    There is indeed a little bit of Marksman love in the alpha notes.

Slight damage boosts, but one of them requires you to be standing still, so its usefulness is debatable in PvP. Really good for PvE though

Plus some cooldown love
    Yea. I saw the boost in dmg which is nice.

I don't PvP, but I have dabble some and have done well.

Marksman will do very well in PvP. Properly geared and specced Marksman will top Warfront for damage with only Mages with AoE or nukers like Pyromancer really being the only ones to compete.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast