+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A view from the intended victim of you assassins/rogues.

Default A view from the intended victim of you assassins/rogues.

So...after all the threads that contradict each other about whether assassins are OP or UP...I have reached some conclusions.

I play a Chloromancer/Warlock, for the record.

1. Judging by Warfronts, rogues in general are THE most popular class. Clearly they are not gimp. If they were, I wouldn't be siing Warfront groups that are 50% rogue.

2. Also judging by Warfronts, one thing is clear. The rogue is most definitely a skill class. Skilled players pretty well destroy me. Unskilled players are almost no trouble for me to kill, even if they get the jump on me.

Understand, I know almost nothing about your class, so I can't tell you how much is build, and how much is actual button mashing skill.

So, for my part, I think the rogue class, and in particular assassins, is pretty well balanced. I have seen them totally suck, and I have seen them pwn me even if they are lower level.

In my opinion, Rift rogues separate the men from the boys, so to speak, and require more skill to play than other MMO's, but in the hands of a skilled player are just as deadly.
    Last edited by Vihar; 02-01-2011 at 07:47 AM.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

I think what you are seeing in beta, is a flood of rogues, as there is in every new games beta, thinking they are going to be the "billy badass pvp ganker uberleet dude", then they realize there is a component to being a great rogue, that either they can not grasp, or flat out can not do.

I would say 20-30% of beta rogues will not be rogues at release.

Also, remember that people are stupid, even the bad rogues think they are pretty awesome! lol
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post
    So...after all the threads that contradict each other about whether assassins are OP or UP...I have reached some conclusions.

1. Judging by Warfronts, rogues in general are THE most popular class. Clearly they are not gimp. If they were, I wouldn't be siing Warfront groups that are 50% rogue.

2. Also judging by Warfronts, one thing is clear. The rogue is most definitely a skill class. Skilled players pretty well destroy me. Unskilled players are almost no trouble for me to kill, even if they get the jump on me.

Understand, I know almost nothing about your class, so I can't tell you how much is build, and how much is actual button mashing skill.

So, for my part, I think the rogue class, and in particular assassins, is pretty well balanced. I have seen them totally suck, and I have seen them pwn me even if they are lower level.

In my opinion, Rift rogues separate the men from the boys, so to speak, and require more skill to play than other MMO's, but in the hands of a skilled player are just as deadly.
    This post is an example of why Facebook has a "Like" button. It would be much easier to just do that.

This is, of course, how all classes should be. There shouldn't be an "easy mode" . If you can play your class well, you should be competitive. If you can't, well, sucks to be you.

Quote Originally Posted by Telal View Post
    I think what you are seeing in beta, is a flood of rogues, as there is in every new games beta, thinking they are going to be the "billy badass pvp ganker uberleet dude", then they realize there is a component to being a great rogue, that either they can not grasp, or flat out can not do.

I would say 20-30% of beta rogues will not be rogues at release.

Also, remember that people are stupid, even the bad rogues think they are pretty awesome! lol
    I agree with this.

I come from several MMO's where the rogue class is basically a "2 button Uber-Crit" kill. Not a lot of skill is required.

My impression, at least at the sub-30 level, is that in Rift this is not the way they play. Even the Sab requires a lot of using and stacking skills...not just "Mash button A <CRIT!>", "Mash button B <CRIT!>", <Player Dead>.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

I will be 100% honest with you.
    Not only is this the first time i've ever been a rogue in a beta.

It's the first time I will ever "main" a rogue in any mmo i have played. (EQ, EQ2, DAoC, WoW, LotRO, CoH/V, Aion, and countless of beta's inbetween.

I love the rogue mechanics here, and it has everything to do with the Soul system.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

General of Telara Doktor_Ljubavi's Avatar

Honestly, when I was doing warfronts, I hardly ever saw any assassins. Mostly ranger/marksmans. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor_Ljubavi View Post
    Honestly, when I was doing warfronts, I hardly ever saw any assassins. Mostly ranger/marksmans. =/
    and a lot of horribly played rangers.

I was like, come on ranger man, sick your weak *** pet on me!

WOOT thanks for the endless amounts of cadence!
    One ranger actually kept healing his pet, allowing me to keep cadence going, it was hilarious
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Rift Disciple

and a lot of horribly played rangers.

I was like, come on ranger man, sick your weak *** pet on me!

WOOT thanks for the endless amounts of cadence!
    One ranger actually kept healing his pet, allowing me to keep cadence going, it was hilarious
    I would roast you on my marks so fast you'd probably have to look at your log twice as you were cadencing my pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hhug View Post
    I would roast you on my marks so fast you'd probably have to look at your log twice as you were cadencing my pet.
    well i'm not a "cadence" spammer, i just like having the pet close so i have a target when i need it.

i was also a marksman and man, the damage was awesome.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Pets in Black Garden are like wonderful little health batteries

Thank you for posting your opinion from your point of view as a Chloro/Warlock in the Rogue Forums.

I am going to use an example from the "game that shall not be named". The Rogue class in "that game" can 1v1 any class if you have the highest skill cap with that class. The same could be said about the Rogue class in this game. We are given many tools cc, stuns, incapacitates, snares, escape mechanics, stealth (for the element of surprise) and most of all burst like damage. In the hands of a highly skilled player the Rogue would be voted most liked to succeed in RIFT imo.

Soulwalker

Well the game that hobbits made, i mean shall not be named the burglers/rogues are way over powered.
    Most of the time when they start stunning and hitting you they will get in 13 attacks before you can unstun, plus they can hips (hide in plain sight--dissapear), and then start hitting you again.

Plane Touched

I play assasin and I must say to be able to kill something you have to be the same lv or higher else you are just a gimp-dagger.
    You must be lucky or unlucky because I spend almost all of the beta 5 into the warfront and general I was the only assasin or we were 2.

But when you finally, atlast for me, get infriltrator soul my life changed for my playstyle... I was able to kill or almost kill something a little higher then me.

I think they need to tweak the poison dot a little
    and the backstabe because even when you are right behind the enemis the skill don't trigger thinking you are still something not there... for several second..

beside that, I think the assasin is balance for that kind of playstyle but in World-PVP where the mass is I dunno if they could survive... I see them like a kill priority target then die right after.

Thing I will like to have is Stealh be able to use it during combat.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Forgeblast View Post
    Well the game that hobbits made, i mean shall not be named the burglers/rogues are way over powered.
    Most of the time when they start stunning and hitting you they will get in 13 attacks before you can unstun, plus they can hips (hide in plain sight--dissapear), and then start hitting you again.
    that's not true, you cannot hide yourself during combat.
    I guess you are a mage ?

If so, just use your aoe skill even when assasin are hide they will pop up because of your dmg or your forcepush.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by cyraxi View Post
    that's not true, you cannot hide yourself during combat.
    I guess you are a mage ?

If so, just use your aoe skill even when assasin are hide they will pop up because of your dmg or your forcepush.
    Reading comprehension -1.

He was referring to Burglars (read: Rogues) from Lord of the Rings Online. Burglars actually do get a skill that lets them stealth in the middle of combat. As he mentioned, it's called Hide in Plain Sight (hips for short).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast