+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard Buff-Orchestra of the Planes-Time?

Question Bard Buff-Orchestra of the Planes-Time?

Wondering why Orchestra of the Planes is the only Raid Buff CD that doesn't show the time left on the buff?

http://i.imgur.com/9xFyYE6.jpg

I was wondering the same thing. It's something I kinda wish was there. Could be helpful in some situations
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Because the buff itself doesn't have a duration, the area on the ground does. If you leave the radius, you immediately lose the effect.

How does the buff not have a duration? I hit it and stood still. 15% increase buff went away after about 15 seconds every time.
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    How does the buff not have a duration? I hit it and stood still. 15% increase buff went away after about 15 seconds every time.
    place it and run away, you'll lose it as soon as you run too far rather than 15 seconds

ILikeOranges@Zaviel - ARAK IS FINALLY DEAD (MoM World 1st)

Orchestra of the Planes does, in fact, have a duration. I wouldn't exactly call it a buff however, it's not an aura around your character like the Bard's Anthems are. It's more like a GTAE that is only placable at your feet. You only see it on your buff bar because you are within range of where you were standing when you placed it. Because of this, it does not have a timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallig View Post
    Orchestra of the Planes does, in fact, have a duration. I wouldn't exactly call it a buff however, it's not an aura around your character like the Bard's Anthems are. It's more like a GTAE that is only placable at your feet. You only see it on your buff bar because you are within range of where you were standing when you placed it. Because of this, it does not have a timer.
    I get a buff in my buff bar that goes away after 15s or when I move out of the area. That being said, I think the 15s timer should still be on there, but I guess I'll just have to make a kalert for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Because the buff itself doesn't have a duration, the area on the ground does. If you leave the radius, you immediately lose the effect.
    I understand it's a 'Ground Buff' I figure it would work similar like Lava Field does. Lava Field is a Gtae. If your not within it's range at the start you can still run inside it and pick up the buff. Doing this will give you the time left on the buff on your bar.

Having said this the biggest different is you can actually leave the Radius Orchestra and have the buff fall off. You can't do this with Lava Field this will actually stay on even if you leave the radius of it.

Saying all that.. Doesn't mean that orchestra couldn't work a similar way if your outside the Range and run in and pick up the buff with the amount of time left and if you still run outside of it it can drop off.. Just rinse and repeat if you want it back .

All i'm saying it would be useful to have a timer on this buff.

For one example if you are outside the Range of it when it goes off and run inside you know exactly how much time is left and what kind of burn (cds) you can do within the time left.

Thanks for responding everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by snipebad View Post
    I understand it's a 'Ground Buff' I figure it would work similar like Lava Field does. Lava Field is a Gtae. If your not within it's range at the start you can still run inside it and pick up the buff. Doing this will give you the time left on the buff on your bar.

Having said this the biggest different is you can actually leave the Radius Orchestra and have the buff fall off. You can't do this with Lava Field this will actually stay on even if you leave the radius of it.

Saying all that.. Doesn't mean that orchestra couldn't work a similar way if your outside the Range and run in and pick up the buff with the amount of time left and if you still run outside of it it can drop off.. Just rinse and repeat if you want it back .

All i'm saying it would be useful to have a timer on this buff.

For one example if you are outside the Range of it when it goes off and run inside you know exactly how much time is left and what kind of burn (cds) you can do within the time left.

Thanks for responding everyone.
    The buff lava field gives isn't the time left on the ground aoe. It will always give you a 4 second buff, no matter what. while standing in it, you'll notice the lava field buff constantly refreshing itself and not counting down. Once the ground aoe dissapears, you'll have the buff for 4 seconds

In that sense, it is nothing like orchestra

ILikeOranges@Zaviel - ARAK IS FINALLY DEAD (MoM World 1st)

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeOranges View Post
    The buff lava field gives isn't the time left on the ground aoe. It will always give you a 4 second buff, no matter what. while standing in it, you'll notice the lava field buff constantly refreshing itself and not counting down. Once the ground aoe dissapears, you'll have the buff for 4 seconds

In that sense, it is nothing like orchestra
    I was wrong how lava field work. But still it could work how I mention. Simply put their is no reason why it doesn't have a timer.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by snipebad View Post
    I was wrong how lava field work. But still it could work how I mention. Simply put their is no reason why it doesn't have a timer.
    No, it can't have a timer because their functions aren't the same. The duration is based on how long the GTAE is up, not how long the buff lasts on you.

It'd confused newbies more to have a 15s duration buff constantly then have it disappear as soon as they move. Further more, it'd be even more wasted code and lag to have the server check everyone moving in and out of OotP's range and refreshing the correct timing.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    No, it can't have a timer because their functions aren't the same. The duration is based on how long the GTAE is up, not how long the buff lasts on you.

It'd confused newbies more to have a 15s duration buff constantly then have it disappear as soon as they move. Further more, it'd be even more wasted code and lag to have the server check everyone moving in and out of OotP's range and refreshing the correct timing.
    How do you think guard works? Guard affects a specific radius and goes away if the buff is removed. I don't think it would be a waste of code or increase lag.

RIFT Guide Writer

How do you think guard works? Guard affects a specific radius and goes away if the buff is removed. I don't think it would be a waste of code or increase lag.
    It doesn't have a timer. Just like how orchestra works right now. In fact, Guard and Orchestra probably use the exact same code for how their debuff works.

I know it doesn't have a timer. But the disappearing and reappearing feature is already there. You would just have to add a timer to the buff. I think it is something that should be added, as it would be very useful.

But nevertheless, it can be solved with a kalert, so I'll just stick to that.
    Last edited by Artewig; 04-12-2015 at 10:33 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

I know it doesn't have a timer. But the disappearing and reappearing feature is already there. You would just have to add a timer to the buff. I think it is something that should be added, as it would be very useful.
    I'm saying adding the timer would cause more issues in the code for more bugs, hence unfeasible.

It adds a layer where the game now has to reference the duration of the GTAE orchestra to attribute the correct timer to all players in range then repoll that extra bit of info on top of everything that's already being grabbed every time some player walks in or out.

Now apply this to open world. This is what caused Fury of the Ascended's initial NTE changes to make so much lag in the first place.
    Last edited by evantide; 04-12-2015 at 10:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread