+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cormaiel

Thread: How friendly is the game to "Original characters"

Shadowlander

Default How friendly is the game to "Original characters"

What I mean by this is, I have my own character that Ive created in my own story, shes a sort of ice based Assassin, using daggers, bows and manipulation of the mind to get her targets...now what im trying to ask is, if I was to go a build that reflects her as a character (Im thinking Assassin/Marksman/Bard) would I be super duper gimped compared to other people, or would I still feel useful and relevant? c:

Tldr: Is the game very cookie cutter build based.
    Last edited by themightyevil; 04-08-2015 at 10:48 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by themightyevil View Post
    Is the game very cookie cutter build based.
    I'd say only for bleeding edge, end of game raiding, most specs are perfectly fine for day to day activities solo, it's just when you start doing Expert dungeons and raids the "l33ts" will be examining everything you do with a fine toothcomb

Soulwalker

Only top-end raiding do you need to use the cookie cutter high dps specs, support spec or heal speccs.

dps - 38/38 assa/nb , 61assa, 61nb, 61marksman.
    support- 61 bard.
    heal- 61phys(singletarget), phys/tact (aoeheal)

If you intend to just play solo and do open world content (and expert dungeons to some extent) then you can play sensible hybrids. However, the cookie cutters will be better and in some circumstances the extra DPS they bring may be the difference between completing an expert dungeon or not)

However, the only Rogue Ice based ability i could find was an AoE : Glacial torrent (tactician ability)
    And torrents only really have synergy with marksman, not assasin.

So i tried a build with that in mind..
    its an AoE build, and it brings some good group abilities too from tact
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#T...w/Ap8iGa84|VCY
    i have no idea how it would work whilst leveling.

Possibly you could try a
    40bard/36nb specc as that is an interestingmix of single target range/melee DPS and stealth and grp abilities.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#w...w/vmaiyBgFgw/A
    Last edited by Blitze; 04-09-2015 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitze View Post
    Only top-end raiding do you need to use the cookie cutter high dps specs, support spec or heal speccs.
    From Can we make Experts harder again? on this very forum:

Quote Originally Posted by lightningpaw View Post
    It's annoying for sure to get grouped with rangers, druids, necros and the like
    And those are the builds you can find as presets and even in guides, and not all have disclaimer to be exclusively soloing builds.

So no, you wont feel useful and relevant with your own build unless all you want to do is solo. If you try to group you will be told how you suck and L2P noob and forced to play only several cookie cutters that know-it-alls deem appropriate for their groups.

Yes, there are nice people in game who wont mind doing this or that dungeon a few minutes slower because your dps is not "pro" but they are rather hard to find and if you go LFG there is big chance to meet one of the above mentioned types.
    My advice would be - find a nice laid back guild. Then you can play how you want.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    I'd say only for bleeding edge, end of game raiding, most specs are perfectly fine for day to day activities solo, it's just when you start doing Expert dungeons and raids the "l33ts" will be examining everything you do with a fine toothcomb
    No.

You have a green name tag, but appear to have never been where the OP is. I have.

OP, just no. Unfortunately, outside of stuff you can do in open world, IAs and alike you will most certainly feel gimped. perhaps not at first as it does take a while to sink in and for your own observations to give you a decent personal frame of reference. But you will feel gimped.

I'll give just a short little example, I just logged off the game few minutes before posting this, was in the game doing a public NMR5. I did decent on my alt puleld around 50ish single target, 100ish AOE and did the mechanics just fine.

But these rifts cant get far past 60 exactly and precisely, because of all the people runing such specs in such a manner. It doesnt bother me too much because I expect this by now. But you have to ask yourself, if you can play better to get more and betetr content done, why gimp it for the other people ? Do they deserve for example this rift shutting down sooner just because someone likes their certain gimped spec ?

yes. raid builds are extremely cookie cutter and the devs in general seem to design them exclusively for these cookie cutter builds with super tight DPS checks etc. Basically, if you dont play the cookie cutter, you will fail.

Dungeons are more forgiving as you can easily pull 40k ish even on a funky build, and at 40k you will be considered not best but perfectly acceptable and will not be booted.

Also, just FYI, I main MM at the moment and played around with hybrids. It hybridizes extremely poorly because everything that is worth having in MM is so high up the tree, in fact, 61 point is the way to go with MM.

Telaran

Once upon a time there used to be hybrid builds.

Then trion decided to buff all the 61 pt skills to the point where going 61 is the best option and killed most of the hybrids out there.

There are still some hybrids that exists like ***/nb, stormcaller/something, but those are not the norm, and even those builds are very specific.

I'm not sure why they did it this way. They had such an amazing 'flexible' soul system, then decide to force? (strongly encourage?) ppl to max out one soul

Having said that, I enjoyed playing around with weird combination of souls while I was leveling up and I'm sure you will too. Just that when you get to 65 things.... change.

There is nothing that fit your exact description, but the closest to it is either:
    Mage with Harbinger, Stormcaller and Dominator
    or
    Rogue with Assassin, Marksman and Tactician.

Harbinger is melee and use air and life attacks. Also use summoned weapons.
    Stormcaller is air and water, the only 100% ice-based soul in the game.
    Dominator is all about control, mind or physical. Use a mix of death and air attacks.

Assassin is fully melee with stealth and use poisons and bleeding.
    Marksman uses bows (or guns) to shoot people with direct attacks.
    Tactician uses gadgets to boost himself, hurt or debuff the enemies. They have a flamethrower, an icethrower and other sort of throwers. (Only reason I mention it is because of the icethrower)

Harbinger and Tactician require the Storm Legion Soul Pack to unlock the souls which can be obtained using credits. (Either by paying real money or spending a lot of ingame currency to buy the credits from other players using Rexes)
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ruupi View Post
    Once upon a time there used to be hybrid builds.

Then trion decided to buff all the 61 pt skills to the point where going 61 is the best option and killed most of the hybrids out there.

There are still some hybrids that exists like ***/nb, stormcaller/something, but those are not the norm, and even those builds are very specific.

I'm not sure why they did it this way. They had such an amazing 'flexible' soul system, then decide to force? (strongly encourage?) ppl to max out one soul

Having said that, I enjoyed playing around with weird combination of souls while I was leveling up and I'm sure you will too. Just that when you get to 65 things.... change.
    This. 'Nuff said.

Because of that, it kinds of put me off to play the game again since that flexible soul system is the no.1 thing that attracted me to the game.

Right now when using the optimal/recommended build, it feels just like any other game with a predetermined skill tree per class; expecting the same kind of skills and rotations from each character you encountered in PvP or the same kind of strategy in PvE with regards to fellow player's expectations on how I build my character.

Of course I know I'm not forced to follow those build but the punishment for not playing those builds are severe enough for me that I dont enjoy the game anymore.

The great thing about this game is the soul diversity, for sure. I have a favorite spec I play all the time when soloing, which is a decent amount of time. But when I go into instances or pvp, I switch specs to accommodate what the situation calls for.

So, yes, you can have fun with your ice rogue. Do keep 1 or 2 dedicated specs though for when it's needed.

The need for Trion to "optimize" around 61 point builds came from their repeated experiences (including the current Stormcaller hybrids) that if they let "power" drop below 40 points into a soul tree somebody will find an OP hybrid and that destroys game balance at the raid level. So the destruction of hybrids all flows from that. (And if you don't want my word for it go read about the looming Stormcaller hybrid nerfs straight from the dev over in the mage forum.)

So... only you can make the decision about how you want to play. If you want to do the same DPS as everyone around you, you have to use the same builds as everyone around you. You can tweak them here and there, but for the most part there's only a handful of "good" options for DPS in each class if you want to contribute to the group's performance rather than being a drag.

If all you're doing is soloing then make whatever you want and it'll probably be just fine for solo content. (Because solo content is designed around average people using sub-optimal builds.)

I will say this, though... If you want OTHERS to see your icemindstabber unique thing do it with your Wardrobe. People don't pay attention to your combat animations and spell effects, but they'll always see your Wardrobe. That's by far the more effective way to project your uniqueness.

+ Reply to Thread