+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Build when Rift goes live (subject to change, as the soul talents are changed)

Rift Disciple

Default My Build when Rift goes live (subject to change, as the soul talents are changed)

Hiya,

this will likely be my spec for my rogue when the game goes live, but as the title says, its subject to change if the talents get changed before release.

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...17,5_&lang=eng

I am not the type ot maximize my dps, i am more of a solo'er where possible and alot of the abilities with hefty cooldowns don't seem worth the points in my opinion.

I picked the bard for the buffs its provides and the extra endurance, nightblade will be the main soul, since it will be where my main combo point maker and user will be in and i will mostly focus on dps via fire damage, i understand fire resistant npcs will be trouble, but in this event, if its too troublesome, i will respec to accommodate using physical based skills.

What do you guys and gals think and please, don't post if you are just going to say 'crap spec, spec like this, its how you are meant to' or something along those lines, just don't post.

While i do not feel it is a bad build, there are "issues" that i see.

Having played a heavy spec'd bard, and a heavily spec'd nightblade in prior betas, you are too "diverse" for either soul (in my opinion)

The nightblade, to me, is pretty much an "all or nothing" soul, if it is to be your primary, meaning i feel there are no bad talents, and "Scourge of Darkness" as well as "Dusk to Dawn" are pretty much "must haves".

I would also guess that you do not plan to pvp with this build as you didn't pick up "Dark Containment". Also, in my testing, i absolutely LOVED "Twilight Force".

On to the bard, where i feel most of my experience lies thus far. To me, the bard soul is not a 10, or 20 point tree, I do not feel it's a very good 2nd or 3rd tree at all. There is just too much "good" in there to pass up. Going 10 or 11 in to bard just for 2 motifs and the speed boost (when we get mounts at 20) are wasted points, when you could put assassin in there for 5% crit, or rift stalker for more armor/health.

Again, this is just my opinion.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Telal View Post
    While i do not feel it is a bad build, there are "issues" that i see.

Having played a heavy spec'd bard, and a heavily spec'd nightblade in prior betas, you are too "diverse" for either soul (in my opinion)

The nightblade, to me, is pretty much an "all or nothing" soul, if it is to be your primary, meaning i feel there are no bad talents, and "Scourge of Darkness" as well as "Dusk to Dawn" are pretty much "must haves".

I would also guess that you do not plan to pvp with this build as you didn't pick up "Dark Containment". Also, in my testing, i absolutely LOVED "Twilight Force".

On to the bard, where i feel most of my experience lies thus far. To me, the bard soul is not a 10, or 20 point tree, I do not feel it's a very good 2nd or 3rd tree at all. There is just too much "good" in there to pass up. Going 10 or 11 in to bard just for 2 motifs and the speed boost (when we get mounts at 20) are wasted points, when you could put assassin in there for 5% crit, or rift stalker for more armor/health.

Again, this is just my opinion.
    hmmm, i am just not a fan of cooldown abilities unless they are THAT good that it needs a cooldown, i have seen abilities with 2min cooldowns and other abilities that are far better and have no cooldowns or vastly less of a cooldown, but for that 'Scourge of Darkness' finishing move, it has a 30 second cooldown and in my experience with beta 5, i use 10 attacks alot faster then 30 seconds.

Though i do see your point about the bard, i was more thinking of survivability when i solo since i noticed that rogues have alot of survivability issues, so i could change the bard bit to assassin, but i am sure when the game goes live there will be players deciding what specs are the best and anyone who specs other ways will be deemed as noobs and refused group invites, it happens in wow too much and other mmos too.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieK View Post
    hmmm, i am just not a fan of cooldown abilities unless they are THAT good that it needs a cooldown, i have seen abilities with 2min cooldowns and other abilities that are far better and have no cooldowns or vastly less of a cooldown, but for that 'Scourge of Darkness' finishing move, it has a 30 second cooldown and in my experience with beta 5, i use 10 attacks alot faster then 30 seconds.

Though i do see your point about the bard, i was more thinking of survivability when i solo since i noticed that rogues have alot of survivability issues, so i could change the bard bit to assassin, but i am sure when the game goes live there will be players deciding what specs are the best and anyone who specs other ways will be deemed as noobs and refused group invites, it happens in wow too much and other mmos too.
    I do not play that way, especially in a game that welcomes so much creativity. I was just pointing out what *I* would do differently. :P

I'm thinking of a bard/nb build,that looks like this:
    (In my build I might lose 2 points in nightblade to add to bard, depending on how the new single target mez is for bards)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...kqz.ihtoMoxRoc
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Rift Disciple

Well, i ain't the type to be concerned about getting the best output, granted, none of us know what level 50 is going to be like, things might change, but right now, i am thinking the spec i was going to use might work best for my playstyle and if the game gets to the point where all the players don't like players playing with their own playstyle, then my subscription gets terminated.

Its just these games are getting more and more about the elitists choose which spec is best and any other spec is crap and not viable, i am not saying you are like that, but it undoubtedly will become like that by game release.

I agree, i was one of those elitist in 'that other game'.

I'm not going to be here, Rift is going to be a "hobby" something to do when i have nothing else to do!
    I'm going to enjoy it.

I'm a huge fan of play how you want, so obviously the best choice is for you to use the spec you enjoy most.

however, you did ask for feedback, and I offered my opinions
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Rift Disciple

yep, i asked for feedback and i appreciate you just giving your feedback, most tend to just flame you about using the wrong spec, hence the lack of any other people replying. lol

+ Reply to Thread