+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BARDS: How do stats affect our abilities?

Shadowlander

Default BARDS: How do stats affect our abilities?

1) Crit% (like from Assassin, because I'm assuming the Ranger soul is range-based), does it affect range Crits? I'm assuming so, since it just says Crit, not "Spell Crit" or "Melee Crit."

2) Hit% (like from BladeDancer soul), does it affect range Hits? I'm assuming so, since it just says Hit, not "Spell Hit" or "Melee Hit."

3) Armor Penetration% (like from Infiltrator soul), does it affect range or is Armor Penetration strictly melee/physical attacks? Again, I'm assuming so since it doesn't differentiate melee vs. range.

4) Attack Power (from, say, Rift Stalker), is this a strictly melee-based stat? It doesn't say "Spell Power" but bardic "attacks" are mostly range-based. HOWEVER, we bards get 2 abilities that are increased by Attack Power in Coda of Wrath & Coda of Fury so it's rather confusing.

5) Dexterity (from, say, Saboteur) gets transfers to certain amount of Attack Power but what's the ratio?

6) Dexterity also helps with Melee Dodge, what's the transfer ratio?

7) Strength only affects melee/physical attacks right?

8) Intelligence/Wisdom increases a BARD's Energy pool & gets transferred to Spell Power correct?

9) Will BARDS have a way to transfer combo points to other targets like Riftstalker's Planar Switch or something similar (Riftstalkers get Rift Scavenger but I'd rather have something more group/raid friendly)? I find a LOT of wasted combo points in Warfronts where our targets, already at max range, move a back to the safety of the back lines & we can't use our finishers to max efficiency (& waste Energy in the process)

In my limited testing, I've found that +1 Endurance = +9 health. No issues/questions there.

There's a fair bit of assumptions going on as you can see as it doesn't seem to be clearly defined by the UI anywhere in-game but seem like pretty important questions we'd all like to get clarified. Really loving the class otherwise.

We're provided with this wonderful class system to customize at our whim but some things could use some explaining if we're to truly create classes to fit our varied playstyles. Thanks for any light the the more senior (or any) bards can provide.
    ps. Yes, I took *all* those notes while I played of things to ask.
    pps. wanted to repost this in the rogue area since it got buried in the classes area b4 the subclasses fix

While we are add this... What makes a bards heals increase in power? Since rogues get attack power, dexterity and such...
    I specced Bard, jumped off a cliff healed myself for ... 36 per tick. Then I took off all my gear. Did the same and healed for ... 36 per tick ! No scaling what so ever, I was level 23-25 at the time.
    Does this mean that bard should roll on caster gear or does the abilities just need a fix ?
    Last edited by Blubber; 02-01-2011 at 06:05 AM.

I'd looooooove someone to answer this one.

Soulwalker

I don't know about the other heals, but Cadence has been shown to benefit from DEX(the physical damage portion) and SP(the light damage portion) so that heal at least benefits from normal rogue gear. The others I suspect, for now at least, are all based on SP. Will have to test it this next Beta.

Shadowlander

I was actually wondering the same thing.

Yes. Another vote for interest in the answers to this thread.
    a grain of sand

Quote Originally Posted by Brunnor View Post
    1) Crit% (like from Assassin, because I'm assuming the Ranger soul is range-based), does it affect range Crits? I'm assuming so, since it just says Crit, not "Spell Crit" or "Melee Crit."
    The ranger and assassin crit bonus stack, they do not specify ranged or melee crit, just over all crit

2) Hit% (like from BladeDancer soul), does it affect range Hits? I'm assuming so, since it just says Hit, not "Spell Hit" or "Melee Hit."
    Again, it doesn't specify melee only so it affects all hit

3) Armor Penetration% (like from Infiltrator soul), does it affect range or is Armor Penetration strictly melee/physical attacks? Again, I'm assuming so since it doesn't differentiate melee vs. range.
    it affects everything unless it specifies something

4) Attack Power (from, say, Rift Stalker), is this a strictly melee-based stat? It doesn't say "Spell Power" but bardic "attacks" are mostly range-based. HOWEVER, we bards get 2 abilities that are increased by Attack Power in Coda of Wrath & Coda of Fury so it's rather confusing.
    the attack power boost will simply boost everything that uses attack power( CoW and CoF included)

5) Dexterity (from, say, Saboteur) gets transfers to certain amount of Attack Power but what's the ratio?
    I don'tn remember off hand, but it's in the tool tip when you mouse over your dex in game

6) Dexterity also helps with Melee Dodge, what's the transfer ratio?
    See #5

7) Strength only affects melee/physical attacks right?
    Unsure, strength also increases attack power, so i would assume, strength is a good secondary or tritary stat for rogues

8) Intelligence/Wisdom increases a BARD's Energy pool & gets transferred to Spell Power correct?
    I have never seen or heard of this, we are rogues, we have 100 energy, however, the spell power increase, would boost cadence as it does 'life damage'

9) Will BARDS have a way to transfer combo points to other targets like Riftstalker's Planar Switch or something similar (Riftstalkers get Rift Scavenger but I'd rather have something more group/raid friendly)? I find a LOT of wasted combo points in Warfronts where our targets, already at max range, move a back to the safety of the back lines & we can't use our finishers to max efficiency (& waste Energy in the process)
    No idea what Trion will add, but there really isn't any need for this.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

im thinking you can boost the damage on cadence but the heals from it stay the same. (what boosts heals for a cleric- is there heal power? or just spell power does the trick?)

not sure if that is how it is intended to work but it only ever seemed to heal for 36 or whatever - mightbe that attak power boosts the damge and spell power boosts the heal portion of cadence --- i would hope Trion would change this if thats how its currently working- shouldnt have to stack two stats for one ability.

in regards to point #9- that's just the shortcoming you have to overcome playing a bard, most spells have a 20ft range, and you dont HAVE to always cast COR with 5 combo points, it still heals with 4 or less..... in addition you can pair with a ranged soul and have the option to start building combo points at 30 or 35 feet (marksmen range buff- not sure if it works with cadence etc but either way you can cadence up 3 points, power chord for 2, then use a ranger's headshot if the enemy gets out of range of your COR- it's better than nothing. Also- you have power chord and riff- the bard allows to build to 5combo faster than any other soul---> thnk outside the box. I try to save riff for when i really need it, and consider running Improved anthem of confidence so you can move in nd out of range faster

Before asking the devs to make the class easy mode, consider changes to your playstyle.
    Last edited by Azath; 02-01-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    im thinking you can boost the damage on cadence but the heals from it stay the same. (what boosts heals for a cleric- is there heal power? or just spell power does the trick?)

not sure if that is how it is intended to work but it only ever seemed to heal for 36 or whatever - mightbe that attak power boosts the damge and spell power boosts the heal portion of cadence --- i would hope Trion would change this if thats how its currently working- shouldnt have to stack two stats for one ability.
    This is the question I am most interested in. What stat increases bard Heals. Cadence is based of Weapon Damage, so if you're weapon is based off Dex (IE: Daggers) then increasing your dex should increase your weapon damage, and thus your healing of Cadence. However the Coda of Restoration doesn't say that it's based off anything, so should we assume that we get just a straight flat heal that can never be increased based on gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Alodar Sylmor View Post
    This is the question I am most interested in. What stat increases bard Heals. Cadence is based of Weapon Damage, so if you're weapon is based off Dex (IE: Daggers) then increasing your dex should increase your weapon damage, and thus your healing of Cadence. However the Coda of Restoration doesn't say that it's based off anything, so should we assume that we get just a straight flat heal that can never be increased based on gear?
    Dex and spell power BOTH increase cadence damage, which in turn, boosts it's healing.

CoR, MoR and VoV do not specify that they are based off of any damage, so I would assume, that nothing but new ranks and triumphant spirit, boost their healing.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Telal View Post
    Dex and spell power BOTH increase cadence damage, which in turn, boosts it's healing.

CoR, MoR and VoV do not specify that they are based off of any damage, so I would assume, that nothing but new ranks and triumphant spirit, boost their healing.
    CoR and the motif's were increased with spell power in the last beta. I'll test during Beta6 and see if it has changed at all. If not i'll be using a spell power set while playing bard.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroAvix View Post
    CoR and the motif's were increased with spell power in the last beta. I'll test during Beta6 and see if it has changed at all. If not i'll be using a spell power set while playing bard.
    I refuse to wear cloth, at most I'll use 2 "spell damage" weapons.

I'm a rogue, I wear leather.
    If it ends up gimping me, i'm totally cool with that.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Telal View Post
    I refuse to wear cloth, at most I'll use 2 "spell damage" weapons.

I'm a rogue, I wear leather.
    If it ends up gimping me, i'm totally cool with that.
    2 caster weapons seems like it'll be the norm for bards.

Here is what I know about stats. Dex and Str contribute 50% of the total directly to attack power. Say you have 100 Dex and 50 Strength you get a bonus of 75 attack power (for Rogue Souls, warriors its 75% Str, 25% from Dex). Dex adds directly to crit rating for everyone. 100 Dex = 100 crit rating = i think around 5% crit.

Spelldamage does not add to healing spells at all, not for anyone it adds to spell damage.

For caster stats; think of Clerics = Warriors and Mages = Rogues when it comes to casting stats. Spelldamage for Mages you get 50% from your total Int and Wisdom. Clerics get 75% spelldamage from WIsdom, 25% from Int. Wisdom adds to mana regeneration. Int adds to Crit rating at 1:1 ratio.

I was very disapointed when adding points into talents that boosted stats instead of directly to abilities because the stats basicly had very little effect. When i was around level 20 with about 100 dex 15% Dex added ~15 points of Dex = 15 attack power and 15 crit rating, like .8% crit?

This is why for a Rogue putting points into Nighstalker worked well for me for dps.
    Last edited by bvkroll; 02-01-2011 at 07:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread