+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Additional Marksman notifications

Soulwalker

Default Additional Marksman notifications

While playing an assassin spec with Serpent Strike, when you critically hit a small box appears above your action bar showing Serpent Strike. This gives a nice feedback to know when to use Serpent Strike.

Marksman has 2 reaction abilities now that work like this: Calculated Shot and Empowered Shot but they do not have a box pop up.

For Calculated Shot, it would be nice to see a window pop up like Serpent Strike whenever you have a movement buff applied to you. This window could also have the time remaining on the movement buff so you know how long you have to use it. This would make using Calculated Shot a lot easier to figure out and not have to try finding the small movement buff in your buff area.

If you have Lock N Load, whenever you use a finisher and it triggers Lock N Load to refresh Empowered Shot and make it instant, a pop up window like Serpent Strike would also be beneficial. This isn't as needed as Calculated Shot because normally you can see your ability refresh in the action bar. But sometimes the ability is refreshed and you don't know if it will be instant cast or not unless you look for the Lock N Load buff in your buff area. Having the Lock N Load buff timer would also be nice to see on the pop up box.

There are probably addons that could work to solve this problem but since the implementation is already there for Serpent Strike, hopefully adding that same logic to Calculated Shot and Empowered Shot would not be difficult for the developers.

The difference, though, is that Serpent Pose procs randomly-- it's whenever you crit.

By contrast, you always know exactly when Lock N Load will proc. Same with the movement speed buffs that are used by Calculated Shot, because in all of those cases, they are a 100% chance from other abilities.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    The difference, though, is that Serpent Pose procs randomly-- it's whenever you crit.

By contrast, you always know exactly when Lock N Load will proc. Same with the movement speed buffs that are used by Calculated Shot, because in all of those cases, they are a 100% chance from other abilities.
    SS and HS can sometimes miss in PvP so it's kinda tricky.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfaraon View Post
    you really need to play more pyro . I bet you are a warrior or rogue so your opinion is not accurate at all. By the way pyro is not even close to have the highest burst in the game tell that to a sin or warlord

Soulwalker

Saying that those abilities always get applied is false. As Otts pointed out they can miss in pvp but they also can miss while leveling and doing content below the requested hit cap. Even at hit cap, Lock N Load gives a 20% chance per combo point so if you use a finisher below 5 combo points, it is a random chance to proc too.

I actually don't want the buttons to appear so that they can be pressed but as a big remember that one ability has trigger a special case for another ability just like Serpent Strike. You can use Serpent Strike before the crit but then having to way 20 seconds for the cooldown is a big dps loss. Same as if you use Calculated Shot without a movement buff.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Madmartigen View Post
    Saying that those abilities always get applied is false. As Otts pointed out they can miss in pvp but they also can miss while leveling and doing content below the requested hit cap. Even at hit cap, Lock N Load gives a 20% chance per combo point so if you use a finisher below 5 combo points, it is a random chance to proc too.
    This would need to be implemented for an actively applied buff in nearly every single soul if that is really a relevant argument. It is a ton of work that isn't needed due to addon capabilities.

I actually don't want the buttons to appear so that they can be pressed but as a big remember that one ability has trigger a special case for another ability just like Serpent Strike. You can use Serpent Strike before the crit but then having to way 20 seconds for the cooldown is a big dps loss. Same as if you use Calculated Shot without a movement buff.
    Again, this is essentially what addons are for. There is no need to have an actively applied buff, that the player has full control over, displayed in front of the character like those % chance/on crit buffs are such as eldritch, serpent strike, jolt, etc.
    Haybale@Greybriar

Prophet of Telara

http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/karuulalert

Problem solved.

Soulwalker

I don't see a reason that has to be applied to every soul especially since most souls don't have abilities that depend on each other like this. I don't play every soul but I do know that Ranger, Bard, Saboteur, and Riftstalker have no abilities like this.

If you want to limit it somewhat, limit to abilities that affect other abilities cooldown like Serpent Strike. You crit and you get a shorter cooldown on Serpent Strike. You have a speed buff, you get a shorter cooldown on Calculated Shot. I can see this argument removing the need for a extra box for Empowered Shot because that doesn't reduce the cooldown but makes it instant instead which isn't as big of a gain.

I see this feature on Serpent Strike and I don't see any reason it cannot be applied to at least Calculated Shot. I understand that an addon can add this functionally. It would nice for everyone that plays rift and not just the hardcore raiders/players that configure addons to get good feedback on abilities to make them do more damage.

Prophet of Telara

I don't see a reason that has to be applied to every soul especially since most souls don't have abilities that depend on each other like this. I don't play every soul but I do know that Ranger, Bard, Saboteur, and Riftstalker have no abilities like this.

If you want to limit it somewhat, limit to abilities that affect other abilities cooldown like Serpent Strike. You crit and you get a shorter cooldown on Serpent Strike. You have a speed buff, you get a shorter cooldown on Calculated Shot. I can see this argument removing the need for a extra box for Empowered Shot because that doesn't reduce the cooldown but makes it instant instead which isn't as big of a gain.

I see this feature on Serpent Strike and I don't see any reason it cannot be applied to at least Calculated Shot. I understand that an addon can add this functionally. It would nice for everyone that plays rift and not just the hardcore raiders/players that configure addons to get good feedback on abilities to make them do more damage.
    wait wait wait....so now installing a simple addond and making a simple kalert is considered hardcore? god help us all...

FYI every spec need some kalerts in order to keep track of some dots/debuffs/buffs etc etc

Plane Touched

Code:
    KA::AQ+sceNq9lU9vmzAYxr8Kt62Xzgb/AflkG6NNqnpIs1sk5IKToFGIwGiKtA8/h9AmpUlLGqk
    yB8CvX/949PhBdGXZemprvO+r+oZBNmebUm9Nw3x3m7ghXMW3voQxwPpXwI1ZsbQs1lb/WPz+tdC
    PRVnYbVpkddUu1kbn7bq2/m2et4xCyjDCDIW7C7rBpLqfq9nuDvYjAP1mw+v+ifT7JP8e/rqNvAf
    X7RgODnBHsxxCGYlQoTBQHEcBdsvhJNxGb4qeF/W8mBCGo3d4wZ5wfpL3rs7+ePfeXa3zfvtXwHN
    2PM0TGcaUqwiGJKCYx5OJ14VNdZWnTVftkYFjJcGHEp9GFgcPZPnIA8nYA5zwMELCp7H0pUIETYe
    +zBXvqix082jysS1urW5Wxr6IfVzFkY8VlpDQGMaUiOn2eKobq8sDObnOH8VqbauiWnlJ12zPwid
    sVMgJVlziOBIK4jigYjJ/uWvk+qRL12dw+DXaS11mXantW/2HzHDLRiU8SRAFMQh9HIUShdH0s1m
    vOrPTHu61h5/RHgbPYWIq22w9oa01r8R/IR9V8EQlgFAAeQiEVGC6a6x52pjWpss669p0WTRmMM+
    npIfDB8x2UeUlrtsZ7RM2LuHI6R1jjiWKAeY0ujwXoT4c2fPigzPi47cxozN70wOP4vyrcwZ85PU
    H2+ilOSXzMMNJBCUPKYwkoVBQxMhUzrbvkOrB2Ff54qduT53HZ12Pp50R3I8SUSGwAJCo+HI/BPs
    UgVfk4H/454Dw
    Last edited by Nebucent; 03-04-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post

Irrelevant.

Bad UI elements and poorly delivered visual info to the player is exactly and precisely that. In addition, any spec where base rotation requires more then a human being has fingers with 1 or more reserved for movement at all times, is also a failure in professional design nowadays and reeks of amateurism.

Note again, I stated ONLY the base rotation. Not extended or situational functions, as those are the ones that should and in other games do stay seperate in order to add various degrees of complexity.

Macros, and Add-Ons such as K-Alert, KBM, etc. are basically cheap workarounds both dev and fanmade and are symptoms of poor design on part of Trion which should have never had to exist in the first place if the original was either done right, or updated to be right.

Its a shame that this spec has been reworked by some "top end raiding" amateurs and then the dev went with it. It shows being bad on both of them. Producing and putting out stuff like this to a live product is like standing in red during raids. Simply fail.

Rift Chaser

I blame the extremely poorly designed UI.

Buff bars and unitframes are ABSOLUTELY unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shouku View Post
    Bad UI elements and poorly delivered visual info to the player is exactly and precisely that.
    If only the game were set up so that you could customize exactly how and where you received such important information.

Rift Chaser

just 3 fixes would be neccessary :

1. remove the portrait (keep the bars/numbers)
    2. buffs sorted by length
    3. raidframes DONOT show flaring/command debuffs, and change to a different color if there is a CLEANSABLE buff present.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by mealfrog View Post
    just 3 fixes would be neccessary :

1. remove the portrait (keep the bars/numbers)
    2. buffs sorted by length
    3. raidframes DONOT show flaring/command debuffs, and change to a different color if there is a CLEANSABLE buff present.
    You can do all those with addons. That's what the addon system is there for, to create tons of customization options so everyone can make their UI the way they like it. It's standard practice in MMOs and it allows for fast and cost effective development without tinkering with the default UI all the time.

The addon system is great, but, while providing the customization you need, it also wreck the game performances.

Gadget is the perfect example, it does a lot of things that should be available with the default UI, but when you activate it, you loose tons of FPS in combat.

I think gadget should be built in, it wouldn't destroy the performance while providing an awesome customisation level for your UI, sadly, it's too much work, and there's no dev available to fix gamebreaking bugs, so they can't spare a dev to improve this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast