+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger/Marksman Survival? Do they got a chance if

Telaran

Default Ranger/Marksman Survival? Do they got a chance if

Im quite curious about the Ranger/Marksman/Saboteur survival. Do they got a chance if they get jumped by "x" person?

Any stuns so they can gain some space again?

Knockbacks? Disarm? "Blink" ?

Default I used riftstalker

Riftstalker worked well with my Ranger/Marksman, then i had the blink ability and also had some good melee abilities if my pet lost aggro or if a player in PvP got to close.

Plane Walker

I get destroyed a lot by melee rogues with stun, even when I had my infiltrator soul that removed all CC.

It's nearly impossible to get away from a melee rogue who has initially got you stunned, and then got you snared.

But then again, it would be foolish to view this game's classes strictly on a 1 v 1 view.

Pick up Escape Artist (20 points in Ranger) and Repelling Shot in Marksman. Your better bet is to pick up something with some melee damage like Sin plus you would have blinding powder.

Shadowlander

From my experience, it was a get them before they get you kind of scenario. Either, you were able to catch them before they could close the distance or otherwise pre-occupied; or you got destroyed in about 3-5 seconds due to being completely unable to put distance between you and the target again mainly due to the relative movement system in place. Properly spec'd warriors using bull rush is a prime example. Basically, if the warrior chose to hate on me first, there was very little i could do about it. He teleports to me and lands a stun. By the time stun breaks and i get a chance to act, i'm under 50% health. I throw a repelling shot down and a snare and try to escape entirely if can (commonly they respond by ruthless pursuit and a snare of their own). This left the only option of a run speed boost (assuming i wasn't rooted or feared) to break away from the engagement. If there was a 2nd assailant, all bets were off and i was dead long before i could respond.

Yes this is all part of the tug of war that is pvp for positioning, but it was very much in the opponent's favor to force me to yield ground in this instance or force a re-spawn.

Depending on your points as a Ranger/Marksman, you should have:

1. Repelling Shot: Get them the hell out of melee range
    2. Static Shot: Root them and move to full range
    3. Crippling Shot: Snare them
    4. On the Double: You have a huge movement speed bonus that should also break roots and snares.

Swift Shot and Hastened Shot mean you should be faster than them. If you have Fleeting Instincts, that another boost. Hit and Run means you can be doing these things while running the hell away from the mean melee guy.

It's tough, no doubt, but you have the tools to make it possible.

Rift Master

I think it should be very interesting. It might not be, but i think it will be. I also think that ranged rogue will be a bit of a skill class.

My sense is the most damaging ability that melee have on a ranged rogue is FEAR and INTIMIDATION ---> and i don't mean any of the skills in roots and branches.

The melee want to do damage to you in order to get you to pop more defensive, escape CDs than you need. If they can do that they can probably win.

I have no idea how pvp will work out endgame, but let me give you a little peak of some abilities.
    A riftstalker has FIVE ways to close the distance on you and stay in your face. Paired with an assassin soul they will have you 70% snared. Are you screwed? No. Not necessarily. If you are specced in certain ways.

A marksman ranger has: static shock (root that lets you get range), repelling shot (knockback to get range), on the double (removes all snares and roots and you move UBER fast to get range again), crossfire (a second knockback ability that lets you get range), strafe (immune to roots, stuns, snares while moving and hurting them to get range).

If you add that up that is FIVE ways to escape or make space from your opponent. That should be truly scary to any melee. That is enough ways to counter every teleport a riftstalker has at his disposal. AND with quick reload you can do it all again.

The key for melee is getting you to blow more cds than you need to make space. The only other option they have is to wreck you in ridiculous burst. I am hoping that this burst is not an option, but we will see how the game goes. I don't play burst-fest games much so if the game is a burst-fest (for me or them) then i will probably be out. Burst is fine... it should be a factor... but it should not remove skilled play.

The only other thing you NEED to consider as a ranged rogue (marksman) is that you NEED a snare to be able to really deal with melee AND you need to be able to use it well. The speed bonus of a marksman is NOT enough without a snare to pair with it. There are ranged snares for 50% movement speed and there are gap closers... some on an 8 second cd.

The build that was linked is really solid as it has a 70% melee slow and a 50% ranged slow.

CPK

Are snares affected by diminishing returns?

Rift Disciple

Of course they have a chance, if you spec for that chance. Go with assassin and you get 2 cc abilities, go with blade dancer over ranger and you get a few more defensive cool downs.

Only problem with marks is that you have no stun breaker, so if an assassin opens up on you with double stun it will be hard to come back after taking that much damage. Then again, how often do you get hit by a sin in a 1v1 fight (in warfront it doesn't matter, knock back and run behind your line as soo as stun wears off (on the double > snares)

You'll have much better chance than a mage who gets hit by a melee, as far as survivability goes.

"Basically, if the warrior chose to hate on me first, there was very little i could do about it."
    Warriors charge/pull/teleport are all 20m range, as a marsk you have a 35m range. Additionaly with swift shot and hasted shot you should always be running with a speed buff, warriorcan get at most a 10% run speed from riftblade 9and 70% speed burst from paragon but that's different story) So if you see a warrior coming you can turn back and spam instant shot at him while keeping him out of bull rush's range. Paragon, blade dancer and riftstalker are the only melee souls that have an ability to catch a good marksman if you see them coming.
    Last edited by tester13; 02-01-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajukreizi View Post
    Im quite curious about the Ranger/Marksman/Saboteur survival. Do they got a chance if they get jumped by "x" person?

Any stuns so they can gain some space again?

Knockbacks? Disarm? "Blink" ?
    The best Ranged Rogues I've seen in PvP are all about location, location, location. Given the tools that others have mentioned you can find some great vantage points in the Warfronts. Giving you areas that you can knock people off of rocks, cliffs, into water, off walls and what have you. Those are the ones where my Melee Rogue really has to work for an earn my kill.

Others that charge head into enemy lines chasing some poor clothie are the ones who end up dying before they can get their clothie kill. Those tend to be on flat areas, not in the back line, or off to either side in either a solo or duo situation. Being a Nightblade I have the ability to incapacitate that pesky Ranger pet as well, which makes a huge difference.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

+ Reply to Thread