+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Taleon

Thread: Riftstalker solo leveling?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default Riftstalker solo leveling?

    I'm coming back from a very long (over a year) break. I know a lot has changed. I remember Riftstalker being a lot of fun to play with the teleporting and lots of AoE. Is it a viable option (i.e. not painfully slow) for solo leveling? I may occasionally do the random dungeon run, but mostly will just be playing solo doing quests and rifts. If so, recommended companion souls?

  2. #2
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,741

    Default

    All tank souls are painfully slow to level.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 02-25-2015 at 10:36 AM.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Taleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Lol I know what you mean mate ^^

    I too just recently came back after a two year break, to find a lot of the souls that I used changed a lot.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ling-spec.html
    maybe one that will work well for you, as it is a decent leveling build for solo play, and seems to work a lot like what the sin/rift stalker build back at launch up through ID use to run like with a few minor differences.
    I have played it, and seems to work well, though I prefer full sin build myself.

    Hope it works for ya

  4. #4
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    All tank souls are painfully slow to level.
    ^^ QFT.

    Don't recommend it, though there are some ***/rs and bd/rs leveling builds you can find in the guide section. I'd really steer clear of it.

  5. #5
    Shadowlander Greidi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    31

    Default

    I had a question re: Guardian Phase.

    The 30% reduction to non Riftstalker heals seems... really not Group Friendly. So, is this a Solo thing? I mean, everything else in Guardian Phase makes sense that this would be your Tanking buff, to be used for groups... but then, making it 30% harder for your Healer to keep you up seems... dumb.

    My primary spec is Assassin (with a touch of Bladedancer and Marksman), but I have a Riftstalker build as well. I'm 55th level right now, and I was running some 50th level zone quests, and decided I'd go Riftstalker and just AoE my way through the mobs... but I didn't really find that it was all that survivable..? My Assassin build seems to be able to take on and survive the same number of mobs. So... am I doing something wrong, or does Riftstalker need some tweaks?

  6. #6
    Prophet of Telara Meowy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greidi View Post
    I had a question re: Guardian Phase.
    The 30% reduction to non Riftstalker heals seems... really not Group Friendly. So, is this a Solo thing? I mean, everything else in Guardian Phase makes sense that this would be your Tanking buff, to be used for groups... but then, making it 30% harder for your Healer to keep you up seems... dumb.
    The tooltip meant your heals, not heals from another player.

    I cannot answer your second question as I don't Riftstalker to solo, sorry. :x I only use it for dungeon tanking.

    Edit: Also hai Greidi :P
    Last edited by Meowy; 03-11-2015 at 07:45 PM.
    Serale@Faeblight

  7. #7
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greidi View Post
    My primary spec is Assassin (with a touch of Bladedancer and Marksman), but I have a Riftstalker build as well. I'm 55th level right now, and I was running some 50th level zone quests, and decided I'd go Riftstalker and just AoE my way through the mobs... but I didn't really find that it was all that survivable..? My Assassin build seems to be able to take on and survive the same number of mobs. So... am I doing something wrong, or does Riftstalker need some tweaks?
    Riftstalker is a tank soul. And like all tank souls, it's designed with the assumption that you'll have a healer, which means that it focuses on mitigation rather than self-contained sustainability.

    Which is one of the many, many reasons that it makes a godawful solo build.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malphayden View Post
    I'm coming back from a very long (over a year) break. I know a lot has changed. I remember Riftstalker being a lot of fun to play with the teleporting and lots of AoE. Is it a viable option (i.e. not painfully slow) for solo leveling? I may occasionally do the random dungeon run, but mostly will just be playing solo doing quests and rifts. If so, recommended companion souls?
    Riftstalker is built around an obsession with mitigation... to the point that without a healer and others doing the DPS, it can't do anything worthwile as far as leveling is concerned.
    And it gives up so much damage that you won't be able to fight normal mobs at equal your level unless they're just particularly weak.

    If you want to tank in dungeons, use a build that puts everything into riftstalker but otherwise, don't go more than 15 points into it.

  9. #9
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quwo View Post
    If you want to tank in dungeons, use a build that puts everything into riftstalker but otherwise, don't go more than 15 points into it.
    Minor nitpick: there are certain solo builds that go slightly deeper than 15 points, such as Bladestalker.

  10. #10
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Minor nitpick: there are certain solo builds that go slightly deeper than 15 points, such as Bladestalker.
    Minor nitpick: bladestalker is kinda suboptimal, no need to go so high into riftstalker.

  11. #11
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Trion should make RS more like warrior tanks which not only dont have healing reductions but they even get passives that increase incoming healing. Paladin can get you instant full heal for just 21 points once per 2min, 20m range ST stun, mini version of guardian phase (with worse effects but doesnt have any reductions for non-tank dmging abilities) +25% 1h long self buff with 26 points, etc.

    VK brings more CC, self cleanse, knockback and absorp shields.


    Rogue tank is worthless when it comes to hybrids for soloing purposes. You only get the heals from Boosted Recovery IF you actually kill something. If you cant kill specific mob (like elite mobs in Tarken might be hard for soloing) then it's useless.

    While it could be improved to be more fun and useful you shouldnt expect any changes in near future as Trion needs approx 7 months to adjust ONE spec. The "infinite possiblities of hybrids" which Trion often mention in their spots is just a trap, because except 3-4 hybrids (at least for rogue calling) there's nothing else worth playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfaraon View Post
    you really need to play more pyro . I bet you are a warrior or rogue so your opinion is not accurate at all. By the way pyro is not even close to have the highest burst in the game tell that to a sin or warlord

  12. #12
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otts View Post
    Trion should make RS more like warrior tanks which not only dont have healing reductions but they even get passives that increase incoming healing.
    So... just like Riftstalker, then. Guardian Phase only reduces the healing of non-Riftstalker abilities (and we don't have any non-RS heals in a tanking build worth mentioning, aside from Planar Variation). And we have several talents that amplify incoming healing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Otts View Post
    Paladin can get you instant full heal for just 21 points once per 2min
    And we have Defer Death and Planebound Aegis, which are far better than Touch of Life even individually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otts View Post
    20m range ST stun
    Rift Prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otts View Post
    mini version of guardian phase (with worse effects but doesnt have any reductions for non-tank dmging abilities)
    Are you talking about Shield of the Hero? You do realize that the reason for the non-RS damage/healing penalty on Guardian Phase is because, unlike warriors, we don't equip shields, and thus don't sacrifice the 1.3x weapon damage multiplier from dual-wielding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Otts View Post
    +25% 1h long self buff with 26 points, etc.
    At 23 points in, RS can get Unseen Fury (10% AP/WD), Planar Boost (10% damage), and Ruthless Stalker (15% crit, although you need Planar Mastery to get 100% uptime on it). Not to mention Stalker Phase for hybrids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Otts View Post
    VK brings more CC, self cleanse, knockback and absorp shields.
    CC simply doesn't matter, especially not tank CC. The self cleanse is cool in theory but largely useless in practice, because there are very, very few encounters where you needed enough cleanses that the healer couldn't handle it easily-- the only one I can think of is Regulos, and that was over two years ago.

    Gelidra was simply a case of "bring a purifier, because anything other than Sterilize is pointless vs. that many stacks". Unless, of course, you were a rogue, in which case you had Cleanse Soul and Scatter the Shadows.


    Quote Originally Posted by Otts View Post
    Rogue tank is worthless when it comes to hybrids for soloing purposes. You only get the heals from Boosted Recovery IF you actually kill something. If you cant kill specific mob (like elite mobs in Tarken might be hard for soloing) then it's useless.
    I've never had any trouble soloing any of the mobs in Tarken in Bladestalker.

    Look, I'm not saying that there isn't any room for improvement. But there's a difference between wanting some things to be polished or redesigned, and talking about how much greener the grass is on the other side when it's manifestly not the case. Warriors have their pros and cons, just like rogues.
    Last edited by Muspel; 03-13-2015 at 08:07 AM.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malphayden View Post
    I'm coming back from a very long (over a year) break. I know a lot has changed. I remember Riftstalker being a lot of fun to play with the teleporting and lots of AoE. Is it a viable option (i.e. not painfully slow) for solo leveling? I may occasionally do the random dungeon run, but mostly will just be playing solo doing quests and rifts. If so, recommended companion souls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Minor nitpick: there are certain solo builds that go slightly deeper than 15 points, such as Bladestalker.
    Bladestalker gives up a *lot* for those extra extra couple blinks and the tact healing but I'm glad you mentioned it because I bet this is just what the OP is looking for. Specifically, 3 blinks and a focus on AOE damage.

    Here's the link to the guide, OP
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ing-build.html




    Quote Originally Posted by Otts View Post
    -snip-
    I don't know where you're getting all this from. RS has a lot more to offer than most tanks, especially in the low-hanging mitigation fruit department.

    Fact of the matter is, Rogues have so little healing available that soloing is a whole different game for us. It's not about finding a rhythm where you outheal everything the mobs can throw at you, it's about finishing quickly and licking your wounds in between fights.

    The reason I said don't go more than 15 points into RS is because when you go 61 into any Rogue DPS soul, your damage increases drastically over 60 and 15 RS is enough to pick up anything you need.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts