+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Returning player spec help?

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default Returning player spec help?

    I just returned to Rift after not playing since late vanilla. At the time I played some kind of ranged DPS and the furthest I got was raiding the Greenscale raid, so my gear is a mix of low tier dungeon, crafted, and intro raid gear I'm assuming itemized for whatever rDPS spec I was playing. I do have some epic lv 50 daggers, so I would think that a melee spec wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

    Everything is reset now and I'm sure even if I remembered the build it wouldn't be that relevant anymore. So any suggestions on some specs? I figure I want a questing spec and then a dungeon/raid DPS spec. (Hopefully they would be the same so I wouldn't have to relearn a spec when I started raiding, but if there are better ones for each that is fine.)

    (Also side note: Is it worth purchasing the new soul packs yet/ever? I intend to raid eventually)
    Last edited by darthelmet; 02-13-2015 at 05:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    Check the Rogue Guides forum.

    Best soloing/questing is bladedancer, find Muspel's solo BD guide. Else, ranger, or NB, with 8 RS + 4 tact (iirc).

    Dungeon would be Marksman for ranged, or (iirc) NB/Sin

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darthelmet View Post
    (Also side note: Is it worth purchasing the new soul packs yet/ever? I intend to raid eventually)
    Only if you plan on healing.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nebucent View Post
    Only if you plan on healing.
    I'll probably pass on that then. Back when I played WoW my guild made me heal and it's sooooo boring.

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nebucent View Post
    Only if you plan on healing.
    Well, Tactician (from the Storm Legion soul pack) is used in our best solo and tank specs.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    298

    Default

    I figured he was talking about in the context of a raiding environment, in which case it's not particularly mandatory unless you plan on healing.

    Quote Originally Posted by darthelmet View Post
    I'll probably pass on that then. Back when I played WoW my guild made me heal and it's sooooo boring.
    To give you some perspective, out of my 20 role slots only the following utilize the paid souls: Phystact, PvP Physician, solo spec, PvE tank heals, and main tank spec. It may also be worth noting that a lot of people tend to use RS/Tac as sub-souls in their solo'ing specs. In addition, you can be certain that a lot of guilds will favor Puri tank heals over Phys tank heals in a raid setting.

    Just know that the paid souls aren't used in any of our current relevant DPS specs.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    if i didn't have the purchased souls i would probably be unfazed as a rogue. (i only have tact because i wanted to try harbinger out, which is a fun soul)

    here are the specs i use:

    a tank specc
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#v8E/tkGlaGBiGB4/xhg (tact is usefull here)

    DPS specs
    NB - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#z8E/wkGlaGFaFl4/tf
    BD - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#y...liGkG8/ws|TtTw
    NB/assa hybrid (38/38) - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#w...E/ymagkkgG70/t
    Marksman - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#z...lkGGyy/tf|TvP0
    SAB AoE dps - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#wkgEkq/BkEAGklh54/A

    solo-specc
    NB - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...khkGGAGCR0/vgA (tact is useful here)
    BD - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...mEB5liGkAg/yr8 (tact is useful here)

  8. #8
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitze View Post
    a tank specc
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#v8E/tkGlaGBiGB4/xhg (tact is usefull here)
    Don't use Bladedancer in a tank spec, and definitely don't use Bard over Ranger. The best tank subsouls, in order, are 8 Tactician, 8 Ranger, and 7 Bard.
    Last edited by Muspel; 02-16-2015 at 08:03 AM.

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I understand that BD is not min/maxing a tanks EHP, and therefore raidtanks would avoid it as a subsoul.

    I do think quite a few people use BD subsoul for tanking as the dodge increase and strike back add a fair bit of dmg and speed up dungeon clears.

  10. #10
    Plane Touched Taleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitze View Post
    if i didn't have the purchased souls i would probably be unfazed as a rogue. (i only have tact because i wanted to try harbinger out, which is a fun soul)

    here are the specs i use:

    a tank specc
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#v8E/tkGlaGBiGB4/xhg (tact is usefull here)

    DPS specs
    NB - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#z8E/wkGlaGFaFl4/tf
    BD - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#y...liGkG8/ws|TtTw
    NB/assa hybrid (38/38) - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#w...E/ymagkkgG70/t
    Marksman - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#z...lkGGyy/tf|TvP0
    SAB AoE dps - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#wkgEkq/BkEAGklh54/A

    solo-specc
    NB - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...khkGGAGCR0/vgA (tact is useful here)
    BD - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...mEB5liGkAg/yr8 (tact is useful here)
    for a fresh 65, not geared at all, 800 hit with crafted gear ect ect what should you been looking at for dps from your dps specs ?
    I ask, because I also am a returning player ( left right before finishing ID ) leveled myself up to 65, geared up with crafted gear and running the Nightmare Experts.
    No gear short a dagger out of them, but seems I am lucky enough to keep getting the same tank that loves to complain about low dps.
    Pushing around 30ish K with MM ( same build as linked )
    Not really seeing anywhere else to gear up, just wondering if 30kish DPS for a fresh 65 in MM is norm.
    61sin is much higher ofc, just most of the dungeon instances are not favoring melee

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser ILikeOranges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taleon View Post
    for a fresh 65, not geared at all, 800 hit with crafted gear ect ect what should you been looking at for dps from your dps specs ?
    I ask, because I also am a returning player ( left right before finishing ID ) leveled myself up to 65, geared up with crafted gear and running the Nightmare Experts.
    No gear short a dagger out of them, but seems I am lucky enough to keep getting the same tank that loves to complain about low dps.
    Pushing around 30ish K with MM ( same build as linked )
    Not really seeing anywhere else to gear up, just wondering if 30kish DPS for a fresh 65 in MM is norm.
    61sin is much higher ofc, just most of the dungeon instances are not favoring melee
    you can melee almost every boss in NTE's, though if your doing it as sin, maybe not second/fourth boss in gyel fortress and last boss in nightmare coast (cant think of any others that cant easily be done melee). If you play nb/sin you can melee every boss

  12. #12
    Ascendant Archemys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    30k is pretty good for fresh 65.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

  13. #13
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeOranges View Post
    you can melee almost every boss in NTE's, though if your doing it as sin, maybe not second/fourth boss in gyel fortress and last boss in nightmare coast (cant think of any others that cant easily be done melee). If you play nb/sin you can melee every boss
    +1 on that.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched Taleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    297

    Default

    thanks for the input,
    have not looked really heavily into the 38/38 build as of yet, since only been back for a few weeks. will for sure check into it, since it does allow for less disconnect issues going back and forth from melee to range.
    does a 61 NB fair as well as the 38/38 ?

  15. #15
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taleon View Post
    does a 61 NB fair as well as the 38/38 ?
    Not in single target dps.
    Haybale@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts