+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New player returning from storm legion

Default New player returning from storm legion

How good is the rogue now this x pac (healer/dps/tank)? Any feed back would be awesome!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Briskey View Post
    How good is the rogue now this x pac (healer/dps/tank)? Any feed back would be awesome!
    Overall I am disappointed and regret making my rogue my main instead of my cleric. There is no way I can switch now due to the grind and raiding invested in my rogue, I am beyond the point of no return on this.

I'll give you my take on rogue, I do play war, mage and cleric alts so have a somewhat decent idea for comparison purposes. Other peoples opinions may vary. So here goes:

Ranged DPS - MM does put out the deeps, no doubt about it, but is now very clunky to play, the 61 pointer needs to be renamed to clunky shot, to maximize raid deeps you rely on a 5 second bulls eye inside of which on the very last second you have to execute sentry battery and time it all on raid CDs, otherwise you lose a ton of that deeps. Add to that clunky timing on barbed shot which is also a "must upkeep" and which is set to expire dead smack in middle of your alternating finisher rotation and it becomes very clear just how poorly this was done and implimented. And if that wasnt enough, trion is well known for having server/lag/ability delay issues, so even the slightest delay on that last second of bull's eye and again, just kiss your high deeps buh-bye.

It is great in PvP though if you have a healer with you. You can take people out quicker then a pyro, + purge, but you are also even squishier then a pyro. So it is very dynamic, if you get a jump on someone in 1v1 you will only lose to a class/spec that is your hard counter by design, rest you will down with ease, however opposite is also true. Either way fights using MM are very quick regardless if you win or lose.

Ranger does relatively poor DPS in comparison with MM now, + MM has purge and no pet problems, so you cant really play ranger anymore in any serious content, just newb and outdoors stuff. Some situational / limited uses in PvP. There are many raids where if you run ranger instead of more appropriate spec you will be flat out removed due to their now lower DPS + pet issues.

Mellee DPS - 61 sin puts out highest deeps, but the extreme number of disconnetcs in most fights make it rarely used, people tend to use 38sin/38 NB.

38sin/38NB is a horribad spec, it is used cause its a FOTM thing that hasnt died down yet and required by many raid leads. Its only utility is slip away which isnt a utility since you use it as part of your deeps rotation to time with raid CDs. It can get really energy starved if no energy buffs are provided etc. Its horribad on target switches and limited 20m range. Nowadays you are betetr off running MM then NB/Sin, but, see the above mentioned raid leaders....

Bladedancer is great and still a lot of fun, remained unchanged.

Sabo is very weak and is due for an overhaul, except in some larger scale PvP and some PvE trash packs where you sacrifice your deeps for 4x choking gas bomb per minute for the still great utility that provides. For AOE deeps you go BD, much much higher and better.

61 NB, I havent had a serious chance to play with, only here and there, there have been some changes to it.

heals / Support - 61 Bard is decent, Oracle is still preferred, but bards now are in a decent spot.

61 phys is a good tank heal spec, not as good as puri, but still good and stacking physicians are freagin OP in PvP and need a serious nerfbat. though solo physicians arent as tough to beat as they used to be in SL and can be taken out by many specs, including the new MM. So beware of that. But stacking physicians or phys + defiler or phys + puri are still OP.

tactician - I dont play one, sorry. But people rarely run 61 tact for anything other then novelty. Most people running tact in serious content run phys/tac hybrids.

Riftsalker - its a solid tank spec, could use tweaks here and there but its still a good tank spec both PvE and PvP. there are some specific encounters where a rogue tank is preferred due to their mobility, though most of the time cleric is preferred cause of extra Brez, and of course there are times where VK tank is preferred for the pulls.

Overall rogues are OK, but some of our specs still need a major overhaul like Sab, Tact, ranger is on schedule but who knows how long it will take. There are unfortunately too many very clunky mechanics in the rogue souls now, which rely on a split second timing, in a game which doesnt provide players good ways to deal with clunkiness and often prevents the split second timing from correct execution despite the correct input on part of the player.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

This is a ton of help bc the short time I played last night I broke out the MM spec and saw the changes adjusted to it and started trying it out. Im lvl 60 so I have most of the talents and the new ability does feel very clunky. I don't think I like rogue at all, but I wasted some gems on a race change which kind of sucks. I was thinking warrior for the tempest spec, or their melee spec. But then again I always wanted to play the melee mage. I might do the mage instead.

Ascendant

Why people continually use the word clunky with mm is confusing to me. MM requires some thought to play and requires you to manage some abilities outside of macros, that doesn't make it clunky. Rogues are in a great spot in DPS ranged and melee.
    Haybale@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Shouku View Post
    38sin/38NB is a horribad spec, it is used cause its a FOTM thing that hasnt died down yet and required by many raid leads. Its only utility is slip away which isnt a utility since you use it as part of your deeps rotation to time with raid CDs. It can get really energy starved if no energy buffs are provided etc. Its horribad on target switches and limited 20m range. Nowadays you are betetr off running MM then NB/Sin, but, see the above mentioned raid leaders....
    Could that be any more biased? You might not personally like nb/sin but it is the easiest and one of the most effective dps specs for almost every fight. Yes, marksman is now competitive too but as for its difficulty level, it is significantly harder. For target switching, nb/sin can manage that perfectly fine unless your switching for long periods at a time, but i've yet to see a fight where you need to do that. It's not as if there is any (rogue) spec that target switches perfectly.

Limited to 20m range, as if that's too little for a melee spec.

Everyones entitled to their own opinion about a spec, but at least let him try it and see if he likes it instead of advertising it as bad

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Shouku View Post

Mellee DPS - 61 sin puts out highest deeps, but the extreme number of disconnetcs in most fights make it rarely used, people tend to use 38sin/38 NB.

That made me laugh ill give you that.

Nbsin is one of the most rewarding specs weve ever had, energy management mechanic in order to get more deeps(aka dusk strike management) its the diference between a good nbsin and a bad one. If managing dusk strike is too hard for you, fine, not everyone can play everything( i cant play mm properly...)but dont put your personal opinion over true facts.

Also 61 sin doing more deeps is debatable...

Marksman is not clunky, mm is the hardest rogue spec to play, its really easy to do 10 minutes parses in a dummy at least i can perfectly do it(some derps here and there....) but in a raid boy....thats another thing i personally suck with mm.
    Requires a lot of micromanaging,whats coming off cd soon, whats on cd, CS procs, barbed shot(damn those 15 **** eveything!) every mistake gimps your dps a lot, not keeping 1.2 CS ratio...etc but thats the point right? or you prefer a 111112 spec ? mm just takes a lot of practice.
    Last edited by N3okorrales; 02-12-2015 at 05:46 AM.

+ Reply to Thread