+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To clear the air on Bard's Cadence and DEX

Default To clear the air on Bard's Cadence and DEX

So soon after i started beta 5, i heard bards screaming that cadance was affected by spell power and not dex, so i did some tests, and low and behold, this is wrong.
    To explain, Cadence is affected by spell power, but only because cadence does life damage. BUT it also does weapon damage, and after a few tests, i found out 'Weapon damage' is a formula based on your weapons DPS and your attack power. Sure you COULD make your cadence hit harder by stacking spell power, but why do that when dex works too?
    Dex affects attack power, which then affects the formula when determining your weapon damage which is used in the damage of cadence.

Rift Chaser

Yeah, after hearing about the spell power thing I did research and came to the same conclusion.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by rich1051414 View Post
    So soon after i started beta 5, i heard bards screaming that cadance was affected by spell power and not dex, so i did some tests, and low and behold, this is wrong.
    To explain, Cadence is affected by spell power, but only because cadence does life damage. BUT it also does weapon damage, and after a few tests, i found out 'Weapon damage' is a formula based on your weapons DPS and your attack power. Sure you COULD make your cadence hit harder by stacking spell power, but why do that when dex works too?
    Dex affects attack power, which then affects the formula when determining your weapon damage which is used in the damage of cadence.
    Yeah but which one effects it to a greater degree? I've seen posts of players buying 2 spell daggers and some cloth and doubling Cadence. Obviously they had dex before trying this so it would appear they have some fine tuning to do to make dex favorable.

Shadowlander

And which stat raises the effectiveness of Motif of Regeneration and other healing abilities? Also Dex to an extent or spell power only? If it's spell power only it seems logical to forget about DEX entirely.

Shadowlander

does "unstable state" from nightblade tree affects cadences damage? anyone tested it?

JDS

I'm gonna stick with DEX since it's obviously what they intend, and besides, I prefer the idea of wearing leather and I doubt i'll be that much gimped for not going the cloth/spellpower route.

I unequipped my melee weapons that had Dex and STR and tried Spellpower, Cadence did the same damage.

I also unequipped all melee weapons and Cadence did the same damage.

I thought it seemed odd that nothing was effecting it. I should try taking off my bow next time too.

I may be offtopic but i hope you guys can help me.

Does nightblade - blazing fury and unstable state boost cadence dmg ?

Thx.

Edit: i see someone else asked the same q until i typed my on my mobile.
    Last edited by lazybynature; 02-01-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaguraX View Post
    And which stat raises the effectiveness of Motif of Regeneration and other healing abilities? Also Dex to an extent or spell power only? If it's spell power only it seems logical to forget about DEX entirely.
    As far as I can tell no healing spell is affected by stats. Wisdom increases mana regeneration. Int increases spell crit, I guess this would help.

I found most stat boosting talents to be worthless as well. With 200 spellpower on a cleric and taking 5% bonus spellpower in Cabalist talent it got me a whole 10 points more spellpower and spells did not go up in damage to any noticeable degree. I'd rather have 5% crit, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lazybynature View Post
    I may be offtopic but i hope you guys can help me.

Does nightblade - blazing fury and unstable state boost cadence dmg ?

Thx.

Edit: i see someone else asked the same q until i typed my on my mobile.
    Yes, talents that boost ability damage rock. I would add Nightblade to any Rogue build. The stat boosting talents are crap, at least up till lvl 30. 15% more dex adds a whole 30 attackpower if you only have 200 Dex, check your stats next time.

Quote Originally Posted by RaguraX View Post
    i dont know if anything would increase motif's, except for ranking it up, but you can try... and i was speaking strictly about cadence. On Coda of restoration, it might be possible spell power increases that heal, but i never tried. When i tested this i tested it with a stated bow and with a blank vendor bow, and equipping the stated bow made the cadence hit harder, and it had str and dex stats on it of course. Putting points into nightblade for the 15% damage increase on combo generating abilities also made cadence hit harder.
    Last edited by rich1051414; 02-03-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

Thanks very much for clearing that up! I was getting a bit worried

an Oceanic Defiant RP guild

+ Reply to Thread