Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Assassinate vs Backstack...kinda silly

Default Assassinate vs Backstack...kinda silly

Assassinate
    Melee range
    50 Energy
    Instant
    Requires Melee Weapon
    A devastating attack that deals weapon plus 41 to 44 Physical damage. Must be behind the enemy. An additional 100% damage bonus from Attack Power is applied to this attack. Awards 2 Combo Points.

VS

Backstab
    Melee range
    30 Energy
    Instant
    Requires Melee Weapon
    Attacks the enemy from behind, dealing weapon plus 37 to 40 Physical damage. Must be behind the enemy. An additional 50% damage bonus from Attack Power is applied to this attack. Awards 1 Combo Point.

Why is backstab even int he assassin tech tree? it does less damage, less attack power added to the attack, and only give your 1 combo point.
    [_]--<("<) NERF HAMMER!
    Twitch
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLs! IF THEY POST SOMETHING SIMPLY IGNORE IT

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeleel View Post
    Assassinate
    Melee range
    50 Energy
    Instant
    Requires Melee Weapon
    A devastating attack that deals weapon plus 41 to 44 Physical damage. Must be behind the enemy. An additional 100% damage bonus from Attack Power is applied to this attack. Awards 2 Combo Points.

VS

Backstab
    Melee range
    30 Energy
    Instant
    Requires Melee Weapon
    Attacks the enemy from behind, dealing weapon plus 37 to 40 Physical damage. Must be behind the enemy. An additional 50% damage bonus from Attack Power is applied to this attack. Awards 1 Combo Point.

Why is backstab even int he assassin tech tree? it does less damage, less attack power added to the attack, and only give your 1 combo point.
    assassinate requires stealth so it can only be used as an opener.

Rift Disciple

assassinate requres stealth. backstab does not

Plane Touched

ZAM doesn't have the stealth requirement. Was all stoked thinking we can do it out of stealth based of ZAM's tooltip but was disappointed when in Beta they still had the stealth req.

Both these abilities are currently a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco3 View Post
    Both these abilities are currently a joke
    ^truth be spoken, they're very underwhelming for positional attacks, as well as one requiring stealth.

Rift Disciple

Backstab will be great in raiding situations where the rogue is usually behind the boss. It needs a talent that will increase its crit chance though.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    ^truth be spoken, they're very underwhelming for positional attacks, as well as one requiring stealth.
    They did seem a little weak, although they still hit somewhat hard, at least at low level PvP. I'm finding the incapacitates and slows to be the most effective thing I can do, along with the nightblade's fiery sting (which is kinda sad, really, this is a freebie). I'm loving the game, but I'd like some of the positional attacks to be a bit meaner.
    Last edited by NightfallRob; 01-31-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Assassin builds have other tools that make them overpowered against all Mages and many Cleric builds. They don't need their damage buffed at all until the squishies are given a chance to counter.
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

There are a lot of redundancies in the rogue class tree regardless.

Telaran

well melee rogues are honestly pitaful damage compared to an mm or ranger, I tried both and my ranger/mm build easily does switch the dps of an assassin.

The sab/ranger/assassin build is just wrong silent setup til 5 combo points headshot throw one bomb use a 5 bomb detinate for 1 combo points and repeat dead mob or player and fast its like an instant 2-3k damage with no crits and my build had more than 30% crit.

Those abilities are kinda lame. That's why we've been saying it's better to rely on the bleeding skills and serated blades. It also gives you more points to spend.

Rift Disciple

I feel like i always need to point this out:

Backstab (as well as assissinate) gets +50% armor penetration.

That makes it situationally useful, if you are fighting a cleric with chain armor, you will probably like that 50% penetration

However if you are fighting say a squishy mage, that 50% counts for a lot less obviously, and you would probably be better off just using savage strike.

And in a PVE raid setting, i'd imagine that backstab would outparse savage strikes because of that 50% armor penetration as well (although i can't say this is true, i would just be willing to be on it...but only a small amount xD)

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeleel View Post
    Assassinate
    Melee range
    50 Energy
    Instant
    Requires Melee Weapon

VS

Backstab
    Melee range
    30 Energy
    Instant
    Requires Melee Weapon

I hear you. Assassinate is such an useless skill. Jagged Strike > Assassinate. With Physical Trauma skill, which you should have. i mean who could use Assassinate if you can just use Jagged Strike... Only if someone's low on health, then for "burst" (yah, like melee rogues have any burst) - Assassinate - Backstab - Final Blow.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodytrailz View Post
    I feel like i always need to point this out:

Backstab (as well as assissinate) gets +50% armor penetration.

That makes it situationally useful, if you are fighting a cleric with chain armor, you will probably like that 50% penetration

However if you are fighting say a squishy mage, that 50% counts for a lot less obviously, and you would probably be better off just using savage strike.

And in a PVE raid setting, i'd imagine that backstab would outparse savage strikes because of that 50% armor penetration as well (although i can't say this is true, i would just be willing to be on it...but only a small amount xD)

Even without the armor penetration backstab does noticeably more damage than savage strikes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast