+ Reply to Thread

Thread: up to date tact guides?

Rift Chaser

Default up to date tact guides?

I would like to try my hand at some tactician gameplay, however finding a guide that is less than 6-8 months old has proven difficult.

Can anyone recommend an up to date, 3.0 tact guide?
    BOO!

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lighteyes View Post
    I would like to try my hand at some tactician gameplay, however finding a guide that is less than 6-8 months old has proven difficult.

Can anyone recommend an up to date, 3.0 tact guide?
    There isn't one for a couple reasons:
    1) Nothing has changed with Tact. The guides that are a year old are still perfectly valid.
    2) There isn't a competitive place for tactician, so there is no need for a guide describing how to mix/max it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Caldorian View Post
    There isn't one for a couple reasons:
    1) Nothing has changed with Tact. The guides that are a year old are still perfectly valid.
    2) There isn't a competitive place for tactician, so there is no need for a guide describing how to mix/max it.
    That's pretty much the thing, Tactician and Tact/MM haven't really changed in forever. What worked before will still work now.

This is the 41 Tact / 35 MM I used to run with before I took up BD. It gives a fair balance of AoE DPS and support abilities and buffs. The sustained AoE is outclassed by Sab and the ST is outclassed by BD; but TacMM's advantages are in the support abilities (Power Core, perma-snare from Glacial Torrent, etc.), wide AoE area, and total mobility of AoE.

Basic rotation is fairly simple, although maybe not immediately obvious. If you start combat with 5 combo points, it would look something like:
    Open with Glacial Torrent* -> Infernal Torrent* -> Torrent Primer, then rotate
    Glacial Torrent* -> Infernal Torrent* -> Empyrean Bolt -> Glacial Torrent* -> Infernal Torrent* ->
    Empyrean Ray / Curative Blast / Torrent Primer

*Once the mobs are <30% HP, start using Necrotic Torrent here instead.

For your finisher you can use ER for ST damage or CB for AoE off healing (if your healer needs AoE support, but CB won't do too much on its own). TP will last for 60 sec, so use it as your finisher whenever it needs refreshing.

Your cooldowns are:
    -Necrotic Bolt: This can be spammed against sub-30% enemies due to the instant CD. Against bosses, I'd recommend replacing the standard rotation with spamming this ad nauseum for the last 30%
    -Battle Remote: Moar power. Use this at sub-30% with Necrotic Bolt spam.
    -Power Core: Moar group power. Try to sync with raid CDs if/when applicable.
    -Curative Core: The healing dealt from this will be small, but more importantly it can proc Conservation of Energy and Auxiliary Plan. Try to keep one dropped whenever you can, it'll stave off the energy starvation.
    -Necrotic Core: Haven't actually used it since the change, but it at least used to proc abilities same as CC. Not sure if it still does now or not.

TacMan needs few macros if any, but I like to use them to micromanage engine switching. Something like the following would cover it:
    Code:
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Curative Engine
    cast Glacial Torrent
    Code:
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Infernal Torrent
    Code:
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Necrotic Torrent
    Code:
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Necrotic Engine
    cast Empyrean Ray
    Code:
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Necrotic Engine
    cast Necrotic Bolt
    Sagittare@Deepwood | Harlakk@Deepwood | Lexicus@Deepwood
    <- Hello Kitty->

Rift Master

A few other macros you need:

- One for Empyrean Bolt to put on either Empyrean Engine or Restorative Engine
    - One for your cores to put on Empyrean Engine
    - Macro together Battle Remote and Power Core
    - Another Macro for Necrotic Ray when you're AoE'ing enemies
    - Add "cast [notactive] Energy Alteration" to the top of your Empyrean Ray/Necrotic Ray macros (you cast them for the energy return, not for the damage)

I also macro Necrotic Core and Curative Core together since they have the same CD length.

On a slightly different note: Has anyone else noticed that Planar Replenishment doesn't increase the damage/healing of the cores at all, just their duration, so it's actually a DPS loss to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Caldorian View Post
    On a slightly different note: Has anyone else noticed that Planar Replenishment doesn't increase the damage/healing of the cores at all, just their duration, so it's actually a DPS loss to use it?
    How is it a dps loss? Soul Steal only affects Assassin attacks (which you will not be using in a build that uses cores... anymore) and none of the other masteries in that tier affect your outgoing damage. If you are referring to the tooltip not changing, a 30s core still deals the same damage-per-tick as a 15s core. So using only 2 gcds per minute as opposed to 4 to cast necrotic core is a dps gain.

Rift Master

If that's the case, I'll stand corrected.

+ Reply to Thread