+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is it worth rolling a rogue at present?

Soulwalker

Default Is it worth rolling a rogue at present?

The reason I ask is because I have rolled a rogue in every other MMO I play as I like the mechanics (Im fully aware of how different it is for rift)
    I would quite happily fill any of the group slots with a correct build, but how hard is it to actually get anywhere as a rogue in this game.

Everywhere I look/read people are saying that the majority of players rolled a rogue and can't play them. Will it be a pain trying to compete for gear if I was a tank for LFG if both my DPS slots are filled by rogues etc. Or is it really not as bad as people say?

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrom4n View Post
    Will it be a pain trying to compete for gear if I was a tank for LFG if both my DPS slots are filled by rogues etc. Or is it really not as bad as people say?
    Happens whenever you have a tank and DPS and even healer as the same calling, be it warrior, rogue, cleric or rogue.

That being said, never roll a rogue ever. They're the scum of the earth and if you do roll a rogue, I'll have to disown you. And probably talk poorly about you at the family gatherings.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrom4n View Post
    Will it be a pain trying to compete for gear if I was a tank for LFG if both my DPS slots are filled by rogues etc. Or is it really not as bad as people say?
    Yes but this is not a rogue specific issue as this happens to all of the callings. Best way to avoid this is to run with only guild mates if you can.

It's also not limited to being done by only people of your own calling as on my warrior I've lost a Warrior DPS sword on a roll to a mage even though the stats were useless to him. Just about all of the weapon types overlap with being usable by several classes and if a class can equip an item they can roll need on it. The system doesn't take into account differences like swords with caster instead of physical stats as was the case with the strength sword I lost to that mage.

If you like to use stealth in games then Rogue is really your only choice to get that feature. If that's your thing go for it. I can't think of any good reason why rolling a Rogue would be a worse choice than any of the other callings. Though I can give you a mountain of reasons why rolling a Warrior would be a worse choice, it's in a mess.

Rogues are quite easy to play at acceptable level, though so are most classes.
    There always seems that issue with rogue overpopulation but it's not that bad that you need to roll another class if this one's playstyle suits you better. While leveling, the gear that drops in open world is enough by far, no competition there. When you get to lvl65 experts, it's always advisable to get together a dungeon team of different classes (otherwise it's not necesserily rogues being overpresented). If you read guild recruitments for raiders, it's "exceptional warriors"* mostly needed, sometimes mages or clerics, never rogues specifically. So the issue is there but I wouldn't say it's that bad.

* That doesn't mean you should roll a warrior. Only choose warrior if you want a challange not to lag behind the other classes too much.

I hear constantly that others need and greed for stuff they can't use.
    Am I one of the seemingly extremely few then that passes on gear in raids and dungeons?
    Or are there more like me?
    "Dwarves don't get drunk. They just get less sober."
    "Accidents cause people!"
    "My Dad Said If I Dont Put My Volume Down He Would Smash My Head On The Keyba;ljkfsd;sgms;doghsdphrdf\gh"

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ikken eh View Post
    I hear constantly that others need and greed for stuff they can't use.
    Am I one of the seemingly extremely few then that passes on gear in raids and dungeons?
    Or are there more like me?
    I don't have rune-breaking and will pass on everything in experts (except for that EC trinket grrr) so you're not alone.

Rogues have their easy roles(phys/tact, sab, ranger, mm, nb, RS) and some moderate roles(Bd, sin, phys, NB/sin). None of them are hard I'd say. Figure out what kind of play style you want to go for. Warrior can literally have every single one of their roles macroed into 5 buttons or less aside from tank roles with multiple cooldowns(vk). Mage generally has become easier. It used to be the more challenging class with energy management as well as priority rotations to worry about but that's mostly gone now. Clerics have one spec to rule them all nowadays in inquisitor for DPS oracle is quite easy and cleric tanking in general is also rather easy. So again its all about ppaystyle preference as no matter what class you choose they're all pretty easy once you takethe time to learn them. From a which is better standpoint most would say inq is the best dps along with stormlock from mage with nb/sin behind that and whatever warriors decide to run trailing slightly behind everyone atm which is why all the warriors are so sad.

NT Tier 1 complete 12/18/2014!

People always complain how easy rogue specs are bit my cleric alt is even easier. Ranger and MM rotations are quite simple. The melee ones are a little more to manage due to fitting it various dots and finishers in the bps burst window(s). Bladedancer is a bit easier with the NT masteries making the dances longer.

I've been playing my cleric more recently and it's ridiculously easy to play with amazing damage output.
    Last edited by asianguywithacamera; 01-12-2015 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramuccia View Post
    Happens whenever you have a tank and DPS and even healer as the same calling, be it warrior, rogue, cleric or rogue.

That being said, never roll a rogue ever. They're the scum of the earth and if you do roll a rogue, I'll have to disown you. And probably talk poorly about you at the family gatherings.
    this guy gets it
    stormhak stormbar stormkvinde kagestorm stormelver

Champion of Telara

Roll war and just need on all the excessive plate drops. Even better is there's so few so you're only going to roll against..... no one! LOL

I joke... if it wasn't so true.

Rogues rock. I have 4 of them. Of course I have 4 Mages, 4 Clerics, and 3 Warriors too. ;)

Of course Rogue will be my first class to get all 4 to 65. All the others are only 1 level 65 each or maybe 2.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

The only thing I would say if you are going to roll a rogue is to make sure that Marksman and Ranger are not your "Main Dps Souls". There is already a huge HUGE overpopulation of ranged only rouges(which annoys me). Do me a favor and experiment with all the dps souls and look at the rogue guides from time to time. Melee is your friend.
    Last edited by Dragonz; 01-15-2015 at 07:15 AM.
    -Smarted the Awesome

Go dps clerics. What all the cool kidz are doing. Plus I think you get some self heals too.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonz View Post
    The only thing I would say if you are going to roll a rogue is to make sure that Marksman and Ranger are not your "Main Dps Souls". There is already a huge HUGE overpopulation of ranged only rouges(which annoys me). Do me a favor and experiment with all the dps souls and look at the rogue guides from time to time. Melee is your friend.
    +100000000000000000000000 on this!!

No more F*****ING useless rangers please!

Plane Touched

Melee is terrible and pretty much every time Trion puts in a new mechanic, it screws melee even more. Cleaves, ground target AOEs, insta-kill-if-you-don't-hide-behind-a-rock AOEs, etc. All screw melee.

I loathe melee in this game. I've never found any build that is the least bit enjoyable in melee because they all suffer from the same problem - being in melee.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast