+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ranger haters, I told you so!

Rift Disciple

Default Ranger haters, I told you so!

* New Branch Ability Ė King of the Jungle: Increases your petís damage by 10% and reduces the damage your pet takes from area of effect abilities by 35%. For every point spent in Ranger above 21, your petís damage is increased by 3% and damage from AEs reduced by 2%.

Remember that ranger thread 30 pages long about how Rangers won't be able to end game raid cuz pets are horrible and wont live through raid AoE's?

Well I told you that would be stupid to design a class around pets and have them die in a few waves of AoE's.....

Rift Chaser

and where did you read this change?

derp, what does an "NDA" mean?
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year oldís life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Soulwalker

beta NDA was lifted....... alpha though has not been
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Public-forums
    Last edited by DAGOOH; 01-31-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Lakkin View Post
    * New Branch Ability Ė King of the Jungle: Increases your petís damage by 10% and reduces the damage your pet takes from area of effect abilities by 35%. For every point spent in Ranger above 21, your petís damage is increased by 3% and damage from AEs reduced by 2%.

Remember that ranger thread 30 pages long about how Rangers won't be able to end game raid cuz pets are horrible and wont live through raid AoE's?

Well I told you that would be stupid to design a class around pets and have them die in a few waves of AoE's.....
    The reason why it was 30+ pages is because if became a troll fest and insults were being thrown back n forth. Also who is gonna heal it? Healers will be healing actual players and not pets and th AoE heal does have a cap of who gets healed. It still remains to be confirmed if they can be viable in a raid senario. For all we know this could be mainly for Rift invasions or dungeons while raids dmg will be too high.

However it does certainly offer em a boon though so we'll just have to wait n see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambros View Post
    The reason why it was 30+ pages is because if became a troll fest and insults were being thrown back n forth. Also who is gonna heal it? Healers will be healing actual players and not pets and th AoE heal does have a cap of who gets healed. It still remains to be confirmed if they can be viable in a raid senario. For all we know this could be mainly for Rift invasions or dungeons while raids dmg will be too high.

However it does certainly offer em a boon though so we'll just have to wait n see.
    The Ranger themselves could heal the pets. Considering the reduced damage of AoE's, Rejuvenate should be enough to take care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenison_Grey View Post
    The Ranger themselves could heal the pets. Considering the reduced damage of AoE's, Rejuvenate should be enough to take care of them.
    Pretty much this. The biggest problem with pets in general is that they are hard to keep alive. If the pet is a dps only pet though and isn't ganking aggro its the AE's that are going to be the problem. Giving them AE resists is huge in this regard.

I think half the problem is that Rangers in general get a bad rap in most MMO's. Devs have traditionally had a hard time balancing them because they are often a hybrid range/melee class. That makes people immediately suspicious of rangers in raid scenarios.

That said with the ability and some other forth coming changes I will not break NDA on I do think the ranger is going to be more viable if u pair it with the right souls.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Tenison_Grey View Post
    I can already forsee countless "HEAL MY PETTTTTT!!!!!" situations...ugh. I was pointing out that people are prolly gonna expect the healer to heal the pet. All I gotta say is F@#% that. But yes the Ranger has the tool to heal it himself.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ambros View Post
    I can already forsee countless "HEAL MY PETTTTTT!!!!!" situations...ugh. I was pointing out that people are prolly gonna expect the healer to heal the pet. All I gotta say is F@#% that. But yes the Ranger has the tool to heal it himself.
    umm.... Pet Dies! Cast a new pet! Seems pretty simple to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    I think half the problem is that Rangers in general get a bad rap in most MMO's. Devs have traditionally had a hard time balancing them because they are often a hybrid range/melee class. That makes people immediately suspicious of rangers in raid scenarios.
    This! And because we roll on melee weapons the other rogues/melee want. It's not our fault. We like to stab stab stab too.

I don't really care if I have to work a heal into my dps rotation as a ranger. I'll do it for the love of the class. If its that big of a problem I'll burn a point into Hastened Call so I can let one pet die and instantly call another one.
    Beware the Dragon!
    For you are Crunchy...
    And taste good with Ketchup.

i love archers, but after all the melee dagger talk im tempted to try them in beta 6
    Martyn - Hopefull rift will be good -.-

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Caddal View Post
    umm.... Pet Dies! Cast a new pet! Seems pretty simple to me.
    Oh yes... taking 8 s and your entire energy pool in order to rez your pet is realistic

As for whether or not this is needed, I will reserve judgement until we know how much boss AoE hits for and how quickly we can expect Rejuv to heal the pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenry View Post
    Oh yes... taking 8 s and your entire energy pool in order to rez your pet is realistic

As for whether or not this is needed, I will reserve judgement until we know how much boss AoE hits for and how quickly we can expect Rejuv to heal the pet.
    Umm not really. Look at a soul tree calculator again hasten call eliminates cost, reduces cast time and does not trigger a global cool down. Since we are talking about end game raid any ranger main soul should have this.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    Umm not really. Look at a soul tree calculator again hasten call eliminates cost, reduces cast time and does not trigger a global cool down. Since we are talking about end game raid any ranger main soul should have this.
    I fail. And even though I overlooked it, I should have assumed that such an ability would be somewhere...

Most if not all the pet souls have the ability to instant cast a pet from what I used in beta five. (necro/ranger)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast