+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marksman PvP Build

Default Marksman PvP Build

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...o.VMs0u.xx0M0c

Would like your thoughts. Didn't have much chance to play with Marksman soul in the last beta, was more into the Ranger.

I guess it depends on how much you like rolling with a pet. Look at the difference between the two specs and decide if the new goodies you get will be worth not having a viable pet with you.
    Finkle: Dwarven Rogue
    Vanguard

I'm a huge fan of Trick Shot, I'd try to get that from hunter if you can.

That being said, i'm not a fan of the infiltrator soul at all.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

I like the stuff in the infiltrator soul for pvp.

I'm having trouble seeing what soul could give me more benefit in PvP for those 15 points than Infiltrator. 10 points in Nightblade would be useful but anything past that not so much. Plus the root abilities aren't as helpful as Infiltrator.

Telaran

Very similar to the build I plan on using at lvl50.
    Currently in two minds about the pvp soul, like you I will either go 15 points or will go the full 21, just for the camouflage in the root tree. Until I try pvp at lvl 50 I wont know which I will use as my final build.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Telal View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Trick Shot, I'd try to get that from hunter if you can.

That being said, i'm not a fan of the infiltrator soul at all.
    infiltrator has some decent passives; the damage increases are rather nice and break free and cleanse soul are just frosting. it is useful but im not sure exactly how more useful compared to something else yet. for pure damage i think it is pretty high on the list.

Rift Chaser

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...000o.0VMft0boz

Thats the start of my pvp build. Notice I have not applied the points in infiltrator yet because thats the part I havent worked out; suffice to say I REALLY want Anathema.

Its Marksman(26)/Assasin(22)/rest in infiltrator (infiltrator to Anathema is the goal) with many left over points to make it happen.

I dont want a pet in pvp as I plan on using stealth and ranged and kiting. I also dont like how pets agro mobs even defensive mode while mounted and sweeping through a zone looking for pvp could be a problem if the pet triggers mob aggro... With assn and no ranger pet the concept is I could quickly dismount and stealth in when I see some pvp. I would probably pve as ranger then switch roles before mounting any decent distance because you never know if the other faction is around the corner.

I know people are gonna say--just avoid mobs when you gallop through the map.. that works great when theres no lag.. . but lag was turning the mobs invisible for me till it was too late it was annoying.

Yeah theres passive setting for pets.. but I just dont want to worry about the pet during pvp tbh.

Any ideas on how to spend those infiltrator points is welcome.
    The other two souls im quite happy with how the points are spread.
    Last edited by Beans; 01-31-2011 at 05:11 PM.

I think http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...o.VVb0h0x0o.AM is a good build.

main is marksman
    infiltrator for pvp
    and the passive buffs from riftstalker are awesome
    Last edited by Jeenath; 01-31-2011 at 05:28 PM.

You will QQ when you see us!
    http://www.booncontrol.com

Rift Master

Just to add to the discussion on marks pvp ---> i am curious how you guys are planning on kiting an assassin/riftstalker/?? rogue?

I noticed that riftstalker has around FIVE teleports to close the gap on a ranged opponent. If you spec into riftstalker for get-aways you get like TWO get-aways. This will be very nice vs most melee. It could just be that the assassin/riftstalker/?? is the counter to the ranged rogue? They also have a 70% snare which is the highest in the game.

If it is an assassin + anything but riftstalker then i can see how you would do it. FIVE teleports to the ranged target seems very daunting.

Your strategy is?

Thx

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by rowdysattva View Post
    Just to add to the discussion on marks pvp ---> i am curious how you guys are planning on kiting an assassin/riftstalker/?? rogue?

I noticed that riftstalker has around FIVE teleports to close the gap on a ranged opponent. If you spec into riftstalker for get-aways you get like TWO get-aways. This will be very nice vs most melee. It could just be that the assassin/riftstalker/?? is the counter to the ranged rogue? They also have a 70% snare which is the highest in the game.

If it is an assassin + anything but riftstalker then i can see how you would do it. FIVE teleports to the ranged target seems very daunting.

Your strategy is?

Thx
    The answer is really the fact that in most cases the Riftstalker will not be simply standing around stealthed waiting for a Marksman/Sin to drop out of stealth and open fire. So sure, the Riftstalker can move around the battlefield, assuming his teleport bugs get fixed, but what will he do when he gets there? You have to remember that all the MM/Sin has to do is get some space and drop back into stealth.

Now, if the MM/Sin is stealthed and happens to see a riftstalker in the area, he will likely just wait and drop him first. Which should be three-four hits over 5-7 seconds.

Rift Master

I would certainly expect that there will be times where a riftstalker would get jumped and burst down by a marks. I expect there will be many times it would be hard to even get to a marks.

I didn't think you can stealth with bleeds on you can you? If a riftstalker/sin gets a hold of you for even a short time then you will probably have 18 seconds of bleeds on you or more. The riftstalker sin can also restealth if the fight goes that way.

If you can keep them from ever getting to you then you are golden. I get how that works. You need to stay more than 25 yards away though and definitely more than 20 yards away. At 20 yards everyone and their grandmothers gap closers come into play and the riftstalker is no different. They just happen to have FIVE of them to choose from.

YES if the riftstalkers ports are bugged and don't work well then it is a good day for marks everywhere. If they do work right then they could actually use two ports to get to a marks hunter regardless of where they open on them. Much seems to depend on how well the riftstalker teleports work. If they work very very well then their might be a chance for a marks range rogue to keep range IF they manage to use both Strafe and Crossfire well with their other abilities.

I ask cause i am curious how this works. I would love to see some good dueling videos and world pvp videos.

I guess marks has two knock back abilities, a root, a sprint, and a break of snare/cc and immune to them while moving (strafe). This is FIVE ways to get back to range. Two are on longer CD than the riftstalker and three are on shorter CD. Very interested to see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Haliit View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...o.VMs0u.xx0M0c

Would like your thoughts. Didn't have much chance to play with Marksman soul in the last beta, was more into the Ranger.
    awesome build, but my playstyle would cause me to do it a little different. i never found myself using quick shot much, as it did the same damage as swift shot only without the movement speed buff. Also fan out always seemed as useful as trick shot to me, and when you throw two points in it, it hits 8 targets at once, quite awesome. but since i dont use quick shot anyways, and i will use fan out over trick shot, i would put those points in upgrading fan out to compensate for trickshot, picking up the root ability Controlled Fire and really put Hit and run to use, cause as we know, the only limitation is the fast energy burn when its up. i would then put the rest of the points left into the pvp soul. After modifying your build to the way i would play it, this is what i ended up with
    Last edited by rich1051414; 01-31-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Another idea was to drop Ranger entirely and replace it with Nightblade.

Things you lose out on:
    1. In PvP all this really does is extra DPS. You can't use it to tank like you can in PvE
    2. 4% ranged damage bonus
    3. Crippling Shot, Piercing Shot, Shadow Fire

Things you gain:
    1. Stealth. Can pick your targets
    2. 15% damage bonus to both combo point generating abilities, and finishers. This far outweighs to loss of Killing Focus
    3. Twilight Force gives the same snare as Crippling Shot. Only drawback is that it has 10m less of range. It does do more damage though
    4. Incapacitate: Breaks on damage, but if you are outnumbered it gives you time to drop one before going after the second.
    5. Hellfire Blades: It's not much, but every bit of damage helps.

You also have two extra points for Marksman, which I put into Collateral Damage in this case. Could do something else if you wanted.

This is what it looks like with Marksman/Infiltrator/Nightblade

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...R.V0t0M.xx0M0c

Rift Master

Haliit ---> Good points all around and i believe the nightblade is a good pairing with marksman to be sure.

Having a ranged snare is so awesome and so much a good idea. The thing about losing the ranged snare from the ranger soul is that it is NOT ONLY a loss of 10 meters.

If you want to do perfect kiting then you need to keep your opponent from ever getting within 20 meters of you. The reason for this is that EVERYONE can use their gap closers at 20 meter range. So at the range where you can apply your ranged snare everyone can also gap close right to you. So they are snared but they are also in your face and then you will be snared as well. Given that they are snared and you are snared and you have movement increase abilities you should still be able to get to range. However the great thing about the ranger snare is you can snare them @30 meters and keep them from ever getting within 20 meters of you to close the gap.

Literally if there is room and if the ranged rogue is good at kiting with these skills there should be no way to close the gap.

Its not bad to give it up its just those "10 meters" you lose on your ranged snare mean everything in the world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast