+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Muspel
  • 3 Post By Kedon

Thread: Looking for a decent mellee build for SL Experts...

Default Looking for a decent mellee build for SL Experts...

Hi all,

I've been running with ranged builds on all my characters, but feel I'm ready to delve more into the melee side of things on my Rogue.

After looking at the Guides section, my head is swimming.

Assassin is fun for soloing, but too much for me right now in a group setting, I just don't like the positioning and the unforgiving nature during disconnects.

Blade Dancer is very nice, I actually like it so far, but stance dancing is still and issue, one I'm sure I'll get over, but a thorn nonetheless.. oh and damn that Hundred Blades and it's range ;)

61 Nightblade.. haven't tried it yet, but it looks like fun, so my question is, how well does it perform in a group setting at the level of Experts and beyond?

I will try it on my own, but figured I'd ask here for tips n tricks and a bit of advice first.

Thanks

Bladedancer is pretty much the go-to melee build for experts. Nightblade isn't bad, either, although the long AoE ramp-up time makes it fairly weak on trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelfear View Post
    Assassin is fun for soloing, but too much for me right now in a group setting, I just don't like the positioning and the unforgiving nature during disconnects.
    Side note: Assassin is actually pretty good at disconnects. Most of your damage comes from poisons, and those continue to proc from ranged attacks. It's not as good at them as Nightblade or Harbinger, but it's far from bad.

All 3 and nb/sin all fair very well in experts. I carry all 4 and mostly just do an expert in whichever 1 i happen to be in. BD lack of energy issues make it nice when you have a clericnhealer and handles st and aoe on trash very well. Sin and nb/sin are both st beast sin having less ramp up time and the hybrid loling at dc's make either solid choices. 61 is prob my favorite spec but its dps is lacking a bit but in an expert its a nonissue. Ok aoe, great burst and great ranged (20 meters) and fights with a damage modifier it can really own.

Experts in all honesty you can pretty much play the spec you want and as long as you play it right your dps should never be an issue. Once you get to raids certain specs excel on certain bosses and you will need to learn which suit you and your raids needs for yourself.

tyvm for the replies.

Crap seems we both forgot the disclaimer for useing bd in an expert.

Anytime you are going to use Fated Blades with 100 blades the tank needs a min of 5 secs in melee with all the mobs. Sometimes more. Ignoring this will get you punched in the face by all the mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by spowers454 View Post

Anytime you are going to use Fated Blades with 100 blades the tank needs a min of 5 secs in melee with all the mobs. Sometimes more. Ignoring this will get you punched in the face by all the mobs.
    Psh, real Bladedancers just AoE as hard as they can and try to kill everything before they die from the incoming damage.

(I may or may not die constantly when I play Bladedancer in dungeons. Hundred Blades is just such a tempting key!)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by spowers454 View Post

No, no, no! Don't you see? Pulling AoE aggro as a Bladedance can trigger Strike Back procs for even more damage!

What?
    Last edited by Kedon; 02-10-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    No, no, no! Don't you see? Pulling AoE aggro as a Bladedance can trigger Strike Back procs for even more damage!

What?
    bladedancer does burst damage

to itself
    Last edited by Muspel; 02-10-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    bladedancer does burst damage

to itself
    This is true. Its even more fun when you get mind controlled.

xxs
    Plane Touched

For novice NB61/10mm/5rs is very friendly
    * relatively easy rotation
    * and can macro a lot of stuff
    * nice burst
    * great disconnects abilities
    * great self heal when you mess up and step in aoes (also cleanses)
    * as much HP as you can get on a decent damage dealer.

-a small minus is the energy management, but for short fights ebony fury does the trick

Technically NB61 is not bad on any T1 boss encounter either.
    Just remember that you want living flame+touch of darkness on the bosses, not the mobs just before them.

+ Reply to Thread