+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger/Marksman

Telaran

Default Ranger/Marksman

Heya guys,

First I want to say how much I enjoyed the beta and I can't wait until next friday.

I leveled a Marksman/ranger/saboteur to level 18

So I have a few questions.

I don't really like saboteur since it doesn't help me at all, is there anything else I can substitute it with?

Shall I go deep in the soul trees of Marksman or Ranger, or equal to both?

Which is better for PvP and PvE Marksman or Ranger?

How is the ranged rogue class doing in PvP and PvE?

Ranger/Marksman/Assassin

I tried Ranger/Marksman/Saboteur to 18 and then switched to R/M/A when I switched servers. I love it due to double weapon enchantments and melee survivability from the sin tree. My DoT damage makes my Mage friends sad plus you have the knockout power from Deadeye Shot when you have time to use it. You crit often which makes Increased Fire Power in the Marksman tree pretty much always up. I could go on and on about the way the souls in this role feed each other. I prefer this role for PvE and PvP, last Codex match I had 49 kills with 20 killing blows. At 50 my points will be distributed almost evenly across the 3 souls but slightly higher in Ranger.

I went with the following, and had a blast in Beta:
    Ranger/Blade Dancer/Marksman. Yes in that order
    Call me crazy But it worked for how I want to play. I got great dps and was able to take on hand to hand when needed.

Rifts were a blast and so was leveling. I tried all the other combos, but none for me were as fun.

Ranger/Bard/Marksman

This is my build in that order. I really enjoyed how the Ranger and Marksman complimented eachother and having the Bard for buffs and healing for me and my pet made it a nice pve/rift experience. I have not done any of the group instances as of yet. I really enjoyed both the Bow and the Rifle! The Rifle was awesome, and having a pet do my up close work was great.

The only downside was being a bit weak in melee if i had adds. But all in all an extremely fun build!

Telaran

When you say Ranger/Marksman/Assassin or something similar about how many points are we talking about?

I too went for the Ranger/Marksman/Blade Dancer combo. I found out that what I was going for it worked out pretty well.

Rift Chaser

I don't like the Ranger..I like the skills..I find the pet annoying. I'm trying Marks/Sab/Assa in that order of importance. I'm just trying something out group/range wise with it for PvP. I'm basically sacrificing all melee ;p.
    Last edited by jca1982; 01-29-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Ranger / Marksman / Riftstalker is a good combo

Riftstalker (for just 5 points) gives you the teleport, Unseen Fury (5 points = +15% Attack Power) and a +5 Endurance buff

Twitter: riftraider

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post

Riftstalker (for just 5 points) gives you the teleport, Unseen Fury (5 points = +15% Attack Power) and a +5 Endurance buff
    This is my build as well, except I went Marksman / Ranger / Riftstalker. Most points in MM, about 20 in Ranger, and 10 in Riftstalker (5 for inseen fury, and 5 for the endurance buff)

I like the build, the only issue I have is pulling aggro off my pet

Soulwalker

I am probably going Marksman/Assassin/Infiltrator for PvP and Marksman/Ranger/Bard for PvE.

The Marksman and Assassin are very complimentary to each other and with the new changes for Assassin all the skills I took will compliment Marksman.

Soulwalker

I wanted to create a melee-focused rogue with a ranged punch, so I tried Marksman/Assassin/Riftstalker and found it worked great for me. Malicious Strike followed by the Repelling shot is a great way to add insult to injury when things get a bit too close for comfort. I didn't try Ranger, though -- might have to if I do the next beta. I also tried Marksman/Blade Dancer/Riftstalker, which seemed to offer even more defense with the dodge bonuses of the Blade Dancer, but most of the time I found myself going back to the Assassin -- the damage is a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Erohi View Post
    When you say Ranger/Marksman/Assassin or something similar about how many points are we talking about?
    26 Ranger/21 Assassin/19 Marksman is what I'm working towards, won't be perfected until I can test it at 50, a few points may move around but the allocation should pretty much stay the same.

26 in Ranger unlocks an extra 3% Crit Chance with Feral Instincts plus your greater wolf and boar.

21 in Assassin gets you poison malice and leeching poison which ups your weapon enchants that you can choose from to 3 based on the situation.

19 in MM gets you to MM's Pedestal which boosts your damage by 10% for 3 minutes. Haven't tested it yet so I don't know if you have to stay within a certain range of it or not.

I pretty much put points into everything that increases hit, crit, armor penetration and attack power while maximizing mine and my pets health. I did test Shadow Stalker this beta and don't really see much difference between it and greater dire wolf. I'm planning on Blinding Powder and Repelling Shot as of now for extra survivability but that may be overkill. The reason I decided not to go Ranger/Marksman/Nightblade is because the double weapon enchantments for Assassin come earlier but I may look at a R/M/N alternate role in the future because I do have 21 points in that soul slot.

if your looking for a high damage glass cannon, here is a good build to use:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MfNi.x0xMV0ch.VM.V0x
    i found the 15% base damage increase increased my dps over a 5% crit increase as crits typically hit for around double damage, a 5% increase would translate to roughly a 5% damage increase, unless my logic is flawed
    Last edited by rich1051414; 01-29-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post

Exactly what I went with and really enjoyed it. I planned on trying one more class but was just having too much fun playing the character with this build.

Soulwalker

Default I completely agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Caelus View Post
    I went with the following, and had a blast in Beta:
    Ranger/Blade Dancer/Marksman. Yes in that order
    Call me crazy But it worked for how I want to play. I got great dps and was able to take on hand to hand when needed.

Rifts were a blast and so was leveling. I tried all the other combos, but none for me were as fun.
    Ranger/Bladedance/Marksman is the only way to go imho. Reason being, I love the fact of being a rogue that can do it all, well.

+ Reply to Thread