+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some help with my rogue (new to the game)

Soulwalker

Default Need some help with my rogue (new to the game)

Hey, I've just started couple days ago and got some issues.

My level is currently 24.
    I'd appreciate some advices on my role (now it is http://i.imgur.com/Md8WM0m.png ). I like ranger but I'm willing to try some different. I see some pros and cons
    +ranged
    +useful pet
    +fine damage I guess
    -pet doesn't change his aggro and without him I'm dead in seconds
    -no cc
    -no heal
    I've bought new role but haven't used it yet, I hope you can help with picking some suitable.
    The second issue is that I feel really undergeared, in PvP battles I'm hardly going any dmg and dying immediately if someone focuses me (which they usually don't, because I'm useless). Same thing with duels, I'm losing even against lower levelled mages. I've never bought anything, every item I got comes from quest. Currently I got about 13 platinum coins but I don't see anything useful I could get from the 'general goods' npc. http://i.imgur.com/vskq8y4.png

And could anyone explain me what's the setting mentor level thing? What's the use in lowering your level by 10? Game hasn't exactly explained that to me.

Soulwalker

thanks for nothing, useless community

no problem!

Soulwalker

Default New as well!

Hey, I'm new to the game as well, but maybe I can give you some ideas for your rogue.

As far as I know, rogue can Tank / Support and DPS with both melee and ranged.

A pet build with ranger isn't too strong, because like you said, only decent damage and you rely on your pets non-existent agro..

I've found Marksman to be a much better ranged role, you can generally kill things before they get to you, and you get a decent amount of move speed and kitting. (Paired with Assassin and Nightblade or Ranger)

For a mix, I've really like Nightblade / Assassin / X(I use Riftstalker for Shadow Shift, but chose for yourself), Nightblade has some ranged and melee attacks in the role, and Assassin gives poisons and extra Damage / Crit / Attack power.

I know the bard role is for support and I've played as a tank, but it was a long time ago! It all depends on what you want to do and how you're levelling as well, I'd suggest Marks for soloing.

Hope this helps you at least a bit, I just returned to the game myself, when I did play, it was after Rifts release. Cheers

Telaran

There is a section of the forum devoted to Guides.

Look in the Guides section for suggested leveling builds. Buy another role or two and set yourself with multiple different builds, try them out to see which one you like best. You will find that when it comes to leveling, ranged builds are not advised. Melee builds do better damage, and do it with better survivability.

When it comes to PvP, nobody pays any attention what-so-ever before level 60. Nobody cares about duels at all, ever. Class based games can never be balanced so that duels are anything other than pointless.

It isn't really worth worrying about your gear while you are leveling. You will be constantly replacing everything. Just use the stuff you get as quest rewards and you'll do fine.

The Mentoring system is designed to allow people with higher level characters to play along with their lower level friends. Everyone gets decent xp that way, and it lets you play without removing all challenge from the game for the lower level player.

Plane Walker

Hey OP,

The guide section could help, but a lot of that is for much higher level established characters and for raiding generally. There are a few for solo play and pvp specs too. Just have to look a little harder for them.

If you have a fresh role slot, when you open it up, they have pre-set soul designs with a short description. That's a good place to start. It doesn't cost much to change your soul selections, so try a few out and see what you like.(see a trainer to reset your souls for a particular role)

As for PvP, a Marksman based build is a much better choice than ranger. It has alot of utility and special attacks that can help you and your team. Assassin is used alot for it's stealth, and blade dancer is fairly good with single target and area effect dps. It's a little harder to master though.

It really all depends on what style of play you like. Do you wanna be on the front line? Perhaps a single target stealth assassin? Or stay in the back plucking or shooting away from range?

For PvE leveling there are a few choices, especially at your lower level. Nightblade is fun and has quite a few tools. Some AE, single target, limited stealth, and a ranged attack. Mix any soul with a little bit of riftstalker to get a little more survivability and a forward warp ability to get away from bad stuff a little easier.

You could also mix some ranger or marksman with assassin for ranged stuff with a little melee when mobs get too close. If you have the Storm Legion expansion, Tactician is alot of fun too. WHo doesn't like killing stuff with a flame thrower?

Rogues are very, VERY versitile when it comes to game play. You just need to figure out the style you like.
    Friends Don't let Friends buy Lock-boxes

Hi, first post. Didn't really warrant a new thread. I'm new to Rift and, most likely as with a fair few others, come here from an extensive WoW background. I'm yet to figure out how taboo (or just plain boring) the Warcraft comparisons are considered so, forgive me, though it's hard not to chuckle scanning the assassin soul and seeing Cheap Shot, Evis, SS, Ambush et all renamed. But hey, if it ain't broke.

I played from vanilla and peaked at TBC / early LK and haven't played in four years but I like the F2P and aesthetics of Rift so I switched. I'm looking to build my toon in the spirit of where I left off. Namely as a complete glass cannon. Explosive melee burst from stealth with, shall we say, "challenging" survivability. Is this 61 sin or should I be looking elsewhere?

There seems to be less ability to "stunlock" but more capacity to snare/slow. Is that accurate? There's a talent low on the NB tree that looks like a spammable crippling poison? Subject to diminishing returns?

I do really like the low MM moves for chasing down / finishing off runners. Does this make us very good 1 v 1 late game if we get the drop on folk or do they not scale well to end game?

Last question, not noticing a kick equivalent yet. Am I being blind or are we light on interrupts?

Pardon what must be a lot of stupid questions! Thanks!

Yes, Assassin is your regular stealth, burst, slip away if overmatched.

Yes, Twilight Force + State of Sloth is a snare, and Assassin has two stuns (one from stealth), but perma-locking is not possible due to how CC immunity works (they're immune to that type of CC for the same duration after as the CC (would have) lasted). There is a charge, and if subsoul'd that way yeah there's a short sprint.

No true interrupt in Assassin but there's the out of stealth stun. There may be one low in other trees, I haven't looked.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 01-31-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Hirono View Post
    Hi, first post. Didn't really warrant a new thread. I'm new to Rift and, most likely as with a fair few others, come here from an extensive WoW background. I'm yet to figure out how taboo (or just plain boring) the Warcraft comparisons are considered so, forgive me, though it's hard not to chuckle scanning the assassin soul and seeing Cheap Shot, Evis, SS, Ambush et all renamed. But hey, if it ain't broke.

I played from vanilla and peaked at TBC / early LK and haven't played in four years but I like the F2P and aesthetics of Rift so I switched. I'm looking to build my toon in the spirit of where I left off. Namely as a complete glass cannon. Explosive melee burst from stealth with, shall we say, "challenging" survivability. Is this 61 sin or should I be looking elsewhere?

There seems to be less ability to "stunlock" but more capacity to snare/slow. Is that accurate? There's a talent low on the NB tree that looks like a spammable crippling poison? Subject to diminishing returns?

I do really like the low MM moves for chasing down / finishing off runners. Does this make us very good 1 v 1 late game if we get the drop on folk or do they not scale well to end game?

Last question, not noticing a kick equivalent yet. Am I being blind or are we light on interrupts?

Pardon what must be a lot of stupid questions! Thanks!
    There is an interrupt in MM, Bladedancer, Riftstalker, plus a couple others I'm sure I'm forgetting atm. It just depends on the cooldowns and which way they are applied. 61 sin IS your sneak up and burst spec. But your going to want something like NB or Ranger, or MM ranged skills in your macro. Not sure atm about your crippling poison question. I'm at work so can't really look.
    Friends Don't let Friends buy Lock-boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyloch View Post
    There is an interrupt in MM, Bladedancer, Riftstalker, plus a couple others I'm sure I'm forgetting atm. It just depends on the cooldowns and which way they are applied. 61 sin IS your sneak up and burst spec. But your going to want something like NB or Ranger, or MM ranged skills in your macro. Not sure atm about your crippling poison question. I'm at work so can't really look.
    61 sin, 12BD, 3 MM.
    Interrupt+Ranged Abilities+Good times speed boosts. Incredibly glass cannony.
    Erct - <Undaunted> - Wolfsbane.
    4/4 RoF, 5/5 MS, 2/3 TF, HK 10/11, 4/4 iGP HM, your MoM 4/9.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by przekot View Post
    thanks for nothing, useless community
    I see you've gotten quite a few additional responses.

I suspect that merely pointing out that people may not have seen and read this thread won't be very helpful.

But hopefully it will be helpful to point out that there is a special NEWCOMERS forum on these boards, and the people who are reading that are the ones most interested and willing to respond to a broad question like yours.

NOW then, to throw my own two cents into the mix:
    It's really a balance of how quickly you want to kill things vs how certain you want to be that you'll survive.

The piggy you're using now is only good up to level 30 or so, then you need to put a TON of points into Ranger to get the better pets. Unless you're going to max out Ranger, it's not worth it.

At your level, if you wanted a spec that has more survivability try something like this. You have increased END (which means more HP) so you can last longer, and damage reduction so monsters' hits hurt less. And if you need to heal mid-fight, you can switch from Cadenza to Cadence. It doesn't do as much damage, but you'll heal a bit. You'll also heal some after every kill. But as a trade-off, you'll be killing things much slower.

You also might want to take a look at how you're running around. If you're finding yourself overwhelmed with enemies, you might be pulling too frequently. Maybe change your pet's behavior so he won't auto-pull and stays closer to you, or be more careful as you move forward so you deal with fewer baddies at a time.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread