+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Q: Bard - Weapons and gear

Soulwalker

Default Q: Bard - Weapons and gear

Hello from a rift newbie. I have some questions about bards' attack skills and gear:

1. I read in a couple of topics that for the damage calculation of codas, cadenza, etc. it uses your highest damage weapon which in most cases is the ranged one. Does that mean that if I equip a shield as an offhand it would give me the defensive boost "for free"?

2. Since all of the skills damage is elemental (magical?) should I equip spell crit or phys crit gear? (I believe someone said that it should benefit from phys but I wanted to be sure)

3. How do "attack power" and your weapon damage influence your overall damage? Especially for elemental skills/spells - do they take any part at all?

4. Unrelated to bards, but still from rogue: Nightblade's Enhanced weapon enchantments - what do they actually influence?

1. Rogues can't equip shields. But if you could, yes it would. However, the weapon damage from the melee weapon and actual stats would be WAY more beneficial.

2. Phys crit

3. AP is highly important as is weapon damage. The tool tip for Invigorated Soul reads "Your Cadence heals up to 5 party and raid member for 6% of your Attack Power each time it deals damage." Also, Reverbation "Using a Coda has a 20% chance per Combo Point spent, to apply a stacking buff to you, increasing your Attack Power by 8% per stack." As well, Rogues benefit from higher weapon damage when it comes to actually doing damage to enemies more than any other class. AP just happens to also be beneficial.

4. Any weapon enchant (i.e. Fell Blades, Smoldering Blades, Virulent Poison, etc.)
    Last edited by erct657; 01-17-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Erct - <Undaunted> - Wolfsbane.
    4/4 RoF, 5/5 MS, 2/3 TF, HK 10/11, 4/4 iGP HM, your MoM 4/9.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggsy View Post
    1. I read in a couple of topics that for the damage calculation of codas, cadenza, etc. it uses your highest damage weapon which in most cases is the ranged one. Does that mean that if I equip a shield as an offhand it would give me the defensive boost "for free"?
    It uses the weapon specified by the ability. For all ranged spec abilities (marksman, ranger, saboteur, tactician(?), bard) this is your ranged weapon DPS. For most melee spec abilities, it is the main-hand weapon. For some bladedancer abilities it is the off-hand weapon, and for other bladedancer abilities as well as Riftstalker's Rift Disturbance it uses both weapon DPS.

This is only whether it uses the actual weapon DPS value. All of the regular stats on the weapon count the same in every spec. So the loss of using a tank weapon is just like using a shield in a Cleric DPS spec (clerics do not use weapon DPS at all). Tank weapons will not have as much attack power/phys crit/crit power in general as DPS weapons.

(and rogues cannot use shields at all, they have daggers/swords specific for tanking - high endurance and usually deflect/parry/dodge.)

2. Since all of the skills damage is elemental (magical?) should I equip spell crit or phys crit gear? (I believe someone said that it should benefit from phys but I wanted to be sure)
    Physical crit is a misnomer. It's actually rogue/warrior crit. There is no rogue or warrior ability that uses spellpower or spell crit and vice versa. Similarly, mage and cleric abilities that are not technically "spells" still use spellpower and spell crit.

3. How do "attack power" and your weapon damage influence your overall damage? Especially for elemental skills/spells - do they take any part at all?
    Weapon DPS is factored into pretty much every ability for rogues and warriors. Each ability has a modifier to weapon DPS, then a modifier to attack power, and both values are used in conjunction with the base damage to determine the final damage (well, it's also affected by buffs/debuffs of course, but that's another discussion). I don't know the formula exactly but if I'm remembering correctly it is similar to:

Damage = base_damage + APmod*AP + DPSmod*DPS

Also Attack Power is used directly as a modifier for many abilities, mostly for healing.

4. Unrelated to bards, but still from rogue: Nightblade's Enhanced weapon enchantments - what do they actually influence?
    That talent is referring to the weapon enchant buffs, normally you can have 2 of them active total. Nightblade gets various "Blades" enchantments. Assassin gets Poisons and in full Assassin you can use 3 of them. Marksman gets Munitions enchantments.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-17-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Soulwalker

Thank you both for that info. I saw that the heals are based of attack power and wondered if it's worth stacking it. So of course in no time I got a weapon upgrade with more DPS but no attack power roll. So I wanted to know which would be more beneficial in terms of damage/heals.... AND THEN I got into a little pvp and found out I heal for the lols. At best I negate some AoE damage and that's WITH 5 in triumphant spirit and improved regen motif. It's laughable... But still I wanted to know about att power vs DPS formula, but I guess its easier to equip and check.

Thank you again, cheers

Soulwalker

when barding, i use my dps gear CP. will it be better if i buy essence to boost my AP?
    is there a difference? i dont want to waste IS

Quote Originally Posted by AnswerMe View Post
    when barding, i use my dps gear CP. will it be better if i buy essence to boost my AP?
    is there a difference? i dont want to waste IS
    Bard benefits very greatly from AP, more so than pretty much any DPS spec.

Even tho bards benefits most of ap, go for cp cap then ap. If you think bards are for healing in raids, then is something wrong with you.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by pit81 View Post
    Even tho bards benefits most of ap, go for cp cap then ap. If you think bards are for healing in raids, then is something wrong with you.
    This is good advice for most people because most people aren't going to bard full time. However, if you are a full time bard, ie you are the bard every time you are in a raid, for a serious raiding guild you are going to want to solely gear for AP.

Bard abilities, Cadenza, Cadence, Verse of Agony, Coda of Wrath/Fury and all of the healing abilities are all functions solely of AP. Weapon damage is not part of their calculation. Back when whichever it was of the fan sites released the SL talent trees early, they showed the calculations for all of the abilities instead of the tooltip numbers. I wish I'd copied it but I can't find it now. All bard weapons are stat sticks. You want higher level weapons only because they have higher Dex and AP.

Quote Originally Posted by pit81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inshalla View Post
    This is good advice for most people because most people aren't going to bard full time. However, if you are a full time bard, ie you are the bard every time you are in a raid, for a serious raiding guild you are going to want to solely gear for AP.

Bard abilities, Cadenza, Cadence, Verse of Agony, Coda of Wrath/Fury and all of the healing abilities are all functions solely of AP. Weapon damage is not part of their calculation. Back when whichever it was of the fan sites released the SL talent trees early, they showed the calculations for all of the abilities instead of the tooltip numbers. I wish I'd copied it but I can't find it now. All bard weapons are stat sticks. You want higher level weapons only because they have higher Dex and AP.
    Attack Power, and only Attack Power.

Soulwalker

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I have a question regarding Bard gear as well.

I've got a fairly fresh level 60 rogue, and I've noticed doing some raid rifts that using Marksman I can't hit anything (not enough hit rating) but as Bard I have not noticed missing at all. Do Bard abilities not use hit rating, then? Can I ignore hit rating for my Bard equipment set?
    Last edited by Tuoweit; 02-11-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuoweit View Post
    Sorry to revive an older thread, but I have a question regarding Bard gear as well.

I've got a fairly fresh level 60 rogue, and I've noticed doing some raid rifts that using Marksman I can't hit anything (not enough hit rating) but as Bard I have not noticed missing at all. Do Bard abilities not use hit rating, then? Can I ignore hit rating for my Bard equipment set?
    Offensive abilities can, and will, miss. Don't ignore hit.

coy
    Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Tuoweit View Post

Cadenz doesn't need any hit - you cannot miss

+ Reply to Thread