+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking question

Soulwalker

Default Tanking question

1. 61 RS / 8Rngr / 7Tact or 7 BD ?
    tact have more HP but BD sidestep 15sec 50% dodge
    what do you preffer?

Neither. Use 8 Ranger/7 Bard. It's the best in every relevant measurement.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-16-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    tnx oldman

Telaran

Out of curiosity, why not 8 brd/ 7 rng?

Hear me out

In most expert dungeons, you're not going to want an actual bard - at least, if you're any of the groups I've been with (to my dismay, as I'd rather Bard). I'm not going to be raid tanking... ever...
    But at 8 Bard, I can unlock the Motif of Renewal (I think... none of the sites are updated) that grants +5% incoming healing. I have to actively cast it to get that bonus, but if I suddenly need the healing, it could be a big deal. It'll also give me the +3200 armor buff.

Quote Originally Posted by AnswerMe View Post
    1. 61 RS / 8Rngr / 7Tact or 7 BD ?
    tact have more HP but BD sidestep 15sec 50% dodge
    what do you preffer?
    Side Step is godly if you are near the minimum gear threshold for tanking experts. Some of the trash in experts can be very hard on lower-geared tanks.

I tanked all the experts at Storm Legion release and judicious use of Side Step (and your other CDs) made those trash pulls manageable when gear was terrible. The trash in Empyrean Core is my most memorable example where Side Step use was prolific.

xxs
    Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zazen View Post
    Side Step is godly if you are near the minimum gear threshold for tanking experts. Some of the trash in experts can be very hard on lower-geared tanks.
    Use rift prison to alleviate the case.

Quote Originally Posted by xxs View Post
    Use rift prison to alleviate the case.
    Rift Prison affects 1 mob. When you have 6 beating on you, Side Step is many orders of magnitude better.

I tanked all the experts at Storm Legion release and judicious use of Side Step (and your other CDs) made those trash pulls manageable when gear was terrible. The trash in Empyrean Core is my most memorable example where Side Step use was prolific.
    The trash in Empyrean Core has been severely nerfed from what it was at launch. It's no longer threatening, even in minimal gear (unless you pull multiple packs at once).

The trash in Empyrean Core has been severely nerfed from what it was at launch. It's no longer threatening, even in minimal gear (unless you pull multiple packs at once).
    It is threatening when you combine low geared tanks and healers. I know this from first hand experience tanking it on my alt Warrior last week. Some unlucky RNG can quickly decimate your health.

Quote Originally Posted by reillan View Post
    Out of curiosity, why not 8 brd/ 7 rng?

Hear me out

In most expert dungeons, you're not going to want an actual bard - at least, if you're any of the groups I've been with (to my dismay, as I'd rather Bard). I'm not going to be raid tanking... ever...
    But at 8 Bard, I can unlock the Motif of Renewal (I think... none of the sites are updated) that grants +5% incoming healing. I have to actively cast it to get that bonus, but if I suddenly need the healing, it could be a big deal. It'll also give me the +3200 armor buff.
    1% mitigation is better than Motif of Renewal. Healing in dungeons is not really about healer thoroughput, it's about healer reaction time, and how many GCDs they can spare to top off the group. The longer your guaranteed survival time is in the absence of direct heals, the easier the healer's job becomes.

For expert dungeons, an 8 Ranger/7 Bard spec that takes a point out of Stage Presence in favor of Anthem of Glory can be worthwhile, but not 8 Bard/7 Ranger.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-17-2014 at 11:51 AM.

1% mitigation is better than Motif of Renewal. Healing in dungeons is not really about healer thoroughput, it's about healer reaction time, and how many GCDs they can spare to top off the group. The longer your guaranteed survival time is in the absence of direct heals, the easier the healer's job becomes.

For expert dungeons, an 8 Ranger/7 Bard spec that takes a point out of Stage Presence in favor of Anthem of Glory can be worthwhile, but not 8 Bard/7 Ranger.
    But isn't he saying that you would get both +5% healing received (+ a little hot) and the +armor and +resist from Anthem of Glory, in addition to +0,5% endurance because of the Bard gift? How much physical and non-physical damage reduction would you get from Anthem? (Of course, it wouldn't work in raids because other bards can already apply it)
    Last edited by Yaarielle; 01-17-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    Yaarissime@Greybriar, lvl 65 cleric (taking a pause from the game)
    Chewgi@Greybriar, lvl 60 warrior
    Greanie@Hailol, lvl 60 rogue
    Youshallnotpass@Hailol, lvl 20 mage

Quote Originally Posted by Yaarielle View Post
    But isn't he saying that you would get both +5% healing received (+ a little hot) and the +armor and +resist from Anthem of Glory, in addition to +0,5% endurance because of the Bard gift? How much physical and non-physical damage reduction would you get from Anthem? (Of course, it wouldn't work in raids because other bards can already apply it)
    Anthem of Glory is less effective health than 1% mitigation, even with the extra .5% endurance. Bear in mind that the endurance increase is additive with your already astronomical endurance modifier, and that Anthem of Glory's benefits are not amplified by your various armor/resist multipliers.

It is threatening when you combine low geared tanks and healers. I know this from first hand experience tanking it on my alt Warrior last week. Some unlucky RNG can quickly decimate your health.
    Having tanked that dungeon on my horribly geared warrior just the other week, I can say that this is not true. Nothing in there hits very hard anymore.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-17-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Having tanked that dungeon on my horribly geared warrior just the other week, I can say that this is not true. Nothing in there hits very hard anymore.
    I said combined with a low geared healer. Not everyone that steps into an expert has run them ad nauseam over the last 14 months.

Regardless, my advice for a new Rogue tank starting experts dungeons is to have Side Steps in your arsenal.

I said combined with a low geared healer. Not everyone that steps into an expert has run them ad nauseam over the last 14 months.

Regardless, my advice for a new Rogue tank starting experts dungeons is to have Side Steps in your arsenal.
    The healer was in blues and greens, and it wasn't a problem. Side Steps is not worth what you have to give up to get it.

BD subsoul has the same weakness as the rs tanks of yore from years ago. Its RNG reliant. Passive avoidance tanks can either feel practically invulnerable... Or as if you're made of wet paper.

Relying on a dice roll to live is generally not as preferable.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

+ Reply to Thread