+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard changes?

Soulwalker

Default Bard changes?

Hey Folks,

I played the game in open beta and for about a month after it released. I wasn't able to keep up due to money issues at the time.

I just recently started back up playing again and I've enjoyed a lot of the changes I've seen. I created a new character (my highest level was 15) so I could go through the starting things to see what changed. I saw a lot of the quests from the intro area were removed. It feels a little more empty there, but it is faster to run through now.

That said, I started off as a bard, as I find the ability to move and fight to be very useful. I bought 2 more roles so that I could set up my support (bard) my dps (sabautor?) and tank (riftstalker?) setups. I like to be versatile and Rift allows me to do all that I want to do.

I've been reading a lot on the forums lately, before I set up my forum name, to try and get insight into what's going on. The guides to the bards talk about how the motifs require combo points? However, I am finding that I don't need combo points to keep the regen and power boost up? Also, I have read that leveling is fast, is there anything specific recommended for someone coming up in the new world?

Ascendant

Motifs and combo points are related, because proper spec allows you to refresh existing motifs without casting them manully, so basically instead of wasting 3 actions to rebuff motifs you just cast one of the codas which either debuff / heal or do dmg and refresh all your motifs time back to 20sec. This allows you to do more dps etc in certain time frame.
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHealNeverDie View Post
    Motifs and combo points are related, because proper spec allows you to refresh existing motifs without casting them manully, so basically instead of wasting 3 actions to rebuff motifs you just cast one of the codas which either debuff / heal or do dmg and refresh all your motifs time back to 20sec. This allows you to do more dps etc in certain time frame.
    fascinating. So this is something in the higher ranks of the soul then I'm guessing? Like I mentioned, highest character I had was 15. I remade a new rogue and he's 10 now. That was before using the xp potion for loyalty too.

I currently only have 2 motifs. I know having all 3 up have an extra boon. So I am pushing bard first, I do have marksman and riftstalker for my 2 subsouls to help with range and defense abilities. Do you have any more insight into it?

Note that this requires Bardic Inspiration which you may not have yet at your level, so you need to manually refresh Motifs

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Note that this requires Bardic Inspiration which you may not have yet at your level, so you need to manually refresh Motifs
    I look forward to it!

When I first came back I just hopped into random PVP as a bar spec on my level 15 and enjoyed the support and kills I was getting. I know the guide said that bard isn't really able to kill higher up, which as a support I can understand. If it's random PVP pugging, is it viable to go as bard to heal/support and still be strong enough to cause the other team to die?

Soulwalker

While not quite related to bards and I do apologize for the double post:

What would be the recommendations to learn the most, as a rogue? I prefer ranged if possible, I also have no trouble learning to tank and I have done well with healing. Thus the 3 roles I bought. However I know muscle memory and understanding comes best from what you learn at the start. As an aside, I am seeking to PVP mostly, if that does have any input on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ternes View Post
    While not quite related to bards and I do apologize for the double post:

What would be the recommendations to learn the most, as a rogue? I prefer ranged if possible, I also have no trouble learning to tank and I have done well with healing. Thus the 3 roles I bought. However I know muscle memory and understanding comes best from what you learn at the start. As an aside, I am seeking to PVP mostly, if that does have any input on the situation.
    Marksman. Brings good utility and mobility at all levels, as well as decent killing power in PvP especially pre-60.

Bard is also quite valuable in warfronts with its buffs and debuffs.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-16-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Marksman. Brings good utility and mobility at all levels, as well as decent killing power in PvP especially pre-60.

Bard is also quite valuable in warfronts with its buffs and debuffs.
    I happen to have a bunch of points from when I played last built up. So I'll use that for the 4th role and get MM for that. Thank you for the tip!

The more I play, the more exciting and enjoyable I've come to find Rift. I'm moving here from NW, so it's a slower paced combat, however I'm still having a lot of fun.

+ Reply to Thread