+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGrinnz
  • 1 Post By WhozDat

Thread: Assassin and Marksman PvP comparisson

Telaran

Default Assassin and Marksman PvP comparisson

First off I apologize if this was explained somewhere however i've read a few guides on each class of a Rogue (At least the ones I like using) and i'm happy with them, however I do have questions in terms of the damage and if it evens out in some areas or the next.

My main specs for my Rogue is Assassin/Riftstalker and a Marksman build. Now at first glance, my Marksman seems to do a lot more DPS than my Assassin. Just to throw out some numbers to compare, on an attack dummy for instance, my MM does 25k for one shot, where then my Assassin does about 12k with finishers. Now on the surface it seems almost not even worth to go Assassin since Marksman hits that high damage, but is it balanced because Assassin has a ton of poisons, dots/bleeds, and quick burst dps? Plus I feel more Assassin has more ways to survive or to take others by surprise.

Or am I wrong and it's just Marksman compared to Assassin is OP lol.

Anyways, thanks for anyone who gives me any insight on how these builds compare and equal out. The way I see it, MM is high dps and is great at distance however against a melee it could be in a lot of trouble and an Assassin's DPS isn't as good but its quick, with multiple ways of damage other than the just the straight melee (Poisons and bleeds), and when close range does great with stuns, silences etc..

Thanks again. I'm still a little new with different specs since I pretty much went from 1-60 with my Assassin build.
    Last edited by Zafan; 01-13-2014 at 08:41 PM.

DPS is damage per second. So the damage you can do in one attack doesn't matter, it only matters for burst such as PvP situations and raid cooldowns. To measure DPS on a dummy you need to parse for ~5 min or so to get a good comparison. But this is only an indication of raid performance, other situations of the game have different priorities. In general though Assassin has both (far) better sustained DPS and better burst, provided you can stay in melee range. Marksman has better utility and doesn't have to be in melee range.

It's also not optimal to put Riftstalker in your assassin spec for DPS, though for PvP it brings good utility and survivability.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-13-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafan View Post
    First off I apologize if this was explained somewhere however i've read a few guides on each class of a Rogue (At least the ones I like using) and i'm happy with them, however I do have questions in terms of the damage and if it evens out in some areas or the next.

My main specs for my Rogue is Assassin/Riftstalker and a Marksman build. Now at first glance, my Marksman seems to do a lot more DPS than my Assassin. Just to throw out some numbers to compare, on an attack dummy for instance, my MM does 25k for one shot, where then my Assassin does about 12k with finishers. Now on the surface it seems almost not even worth to go Assassin since Marksman hits that high damage, but is it balanced because Assassin has a ton of poisons, dots/bleeds, and quick burst dps? Plus I feel more Assassin has more ways to survive or to take others by surprise.

Or am I wrong and it's just Marksman compared to Assassin is OP lol.

Anyways, thanks for anyone who gives me any insight on how these builds compare and equal out. The way I see it, MM is high dps and is great at distance however against a melee it could be in a lot of trouble and an Assassin's DPS isn't as good but its quick, with multiple ways of damage other than the just the straight melee (Poisons and bleeds), and when close range does great with stuns, silences etc..

Thanks again. I'm still a little new with different specs since I pretty much went from 1-60 with my Assassin build.
    MM peaks around 30-40. Sin peaks at 60.

It's very natural for you to come out of lowbie pvp feeling like MM is god tier, because it is compared to most rogue builds.

However once you get geared and have a good health pool, sin and NB are your strongest options, though occasionally MM is strong as well due to some warfronts not having the healers to upkeep melee classes.

The next thing to compare is that an MMs attacks are very bursty. They may have a 25k hit, or 3, but their dps lowers. By comparison, sin relies on Bleeds and multiple procs to upkeep a dps. While MM may have 25k, and a finisher for sin may do 12k, you're likely ignoring the three 3-4k damage procs from poisons, the 1k bleed applied passively from serrated blades, and the 4-5k bleed ticks from jagged, etc.

The main thing to consider is the fact that more or less, every other class has a ranged build as durable or more so, with as much CC or more so and that does as much damage or more, then MM. MM lives and dies, around where you position yourself. Assassin is absolutely 100% useless in the presence of a good MM or a good BM or a good archon or even a good inq, because the poisons that comprise 40% or so of your dps, are purgable, and should be gone in a matter of seconds against competent opponents.
    Last edited by WhozDat; 01-13-2014 at 09:51 PM.
    The only rogue troll who does better with his warrior and plays his warrior more then his rogue.

Kaesola@Deepwood (Formerly Kaesoia/Kaesola@Wolfsbane); Miafereen@Wolfsbane (Formerly Malesh@Laethys)

Telaran

Thank you all SO much for the info. I was thinking in the direction you described however since i'm still a relatively new player, there are still things i'm learning.

The reason I like Riftstalker is because of yes the survival aspect, however the high dmg teleports along with the fact that those teleports get me to a running enemy in PvP really helps. Plus when specced right, I get buffs with those teleports as well if I simply use them as an attack.

But anywho, thanks again! I appreciate all the help!

+ Reply to Thread