+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yaarielle

Thread: Newbie Question About Impale

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6

    Default Newbie Question About Impale

    Hello, I've been playing Rift for the last week or so since my cousins wanted me to join them, and I'm having a blast on the pvp server! I just got myself Impale and am loving it, but I'm wondering, does it stack with itself?

    I typically wait until I get 5 combo points before I use it, but afterwards if I use it again at, say, 3 combo points, will it stack with the previous 5 point version if it was used before the 20 seconds were done or will it "over-write" it with the lesser-damage version?
    Last edited by Jim Bobbity; 01-11-2014 at 05:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Champion Fudily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    538

    Default

    No. It doesn't stack with itself. And yes, if you use a 3pt Impale it'll overwrite your previous 5pt Impale and refresh the timer.
    Impale is crucial to Assassin damage, so you always want to try and get 5 combo point Impales off if possible.
    Last edited by Fudily; 01-11-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    Kukri @Deepwood
    <-VIRUS->

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    I wish there was a way to record combat logs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Why can't sab have GTAE for its traps? This cast time is really lame, its 2014, make it so.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fudily View Post
    No. It doesn't stack with itself. And yes, if you use a 3pt Impale it'll overwrite your previous 5pt Impale and refresh the timer.
    Impale is crucial to Assassin damage, so you always want to try and get 5 combo point Impales off if possible.
    Thanks for replying! I guess the idea system would be to switch back to the bust damage finisher (Final Blow I think it was called?) after I use Impale and it still being active when I regain my combo points.

  4. #4
    xxs
    xxs is offline
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    292

    Default

    make it simple: do not clip the impale.
    There may be exceptions where you'd be out of melee range for extended period (and the target is actually vulnerable) then it's a good idea.

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer TheGrinnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bobbity View Post
    Thanks for replying! I guess the idea system would be to switch back to the bust damage finisher (Final Blow I think it was called?) after I use Impale and it still being active when I regain my combo points.
    Short answer: Yes use Final Blow if Impale is still up on the target.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    My problem with impale (and the other bleed that generates a combo point) is tracking their uptime on my target. I really need an addon that will let me position a bar that tracks those bleeds, but the one I tried from Curse called nK something doesn't work.

    Sucks having to glance up at those little icons so much.

  7. #7
    Champion Yaarielle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakimoto View Post
    My problem with impale (and the other bleed that generates a combo point) is tracking their uptime on my target. I really need an addon that will let me position a bar that tracks those bleeds, but the one I tried from Curse called nK something doesn't work.

    Sucks having to glance up at those little icons so much.
    Kalert is exactly what you seem to be looking for.

    Well, it's not exactly a bar, but you can make effects align like one.
    Last edited by Yaarielle; 01-14-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    Yaarissime@Greybriar, lvl 65 cleric (taking a pause from the game)
    Chewgi@Greybriar, lvl 60 warrior
    Greanie@Hailol, lvl 60 rogue
    Youshallnotpass@Hailol, lvl 20 mage

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser Sleepthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakimoto View Post
    My problem with impale (and the other bleed that generates a combo point) is tracking their uptime on my target. I really need an addon that will let me position a bar that tracks those bleeds, but the one I tried from Curse called nK something doesn't work.

    Sucks having to glance up at those little icons so much.
    I don't use anything and have no trouble tracking if it's up and I mostly PvP. You start to have a feel for it. For me I can usually get an average of 2 x 5 combo point Final Blows off.

    Unless you're pvping, though, you probably don't want to use Assassin for PvE. A lot of damage is bleed/poison DoTs and they take too long on multiple targets ... using Slip Away breaks combat so it resets mobs but stealth is good for doing PITA dailies and gathering w/ incapacitate or lost hope.

    It has decent utility and a good escape with Slip Away but for pure dps Nightblade and Bladedancer are going to be better if you want melee or Marksman for ranged single and AoE.

    $.02
    Guardians:
    PR90 Smugjugs@Seastone (Briarcliff/Sunrest/Deepstrike/Dayblind)
    50 Unnamed@Seastone (Previously Bellicosa)

    38 Scataracts@Seastone

    50 Witchtits@Seastone (Defiant pending faction change)

  9. #9
    xxs
    xxs is offline
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Sin61/RS(11)/4mm is a good pve and pvp build. Not pve optimal but a decent one.
    Stuff dies fast, it cannot AoE but it has very good single target damage and can use impale/puncture/jagged on a secondary mob to fight 2 at once.
    You get psn gas which is also excellent if you get dismounted.
    Great for open world and solo chronicles.

    On a flip note: NB can AoE once a minute now which diminishes its useful for solo stuff.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Zazen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Impale and Final Blow have synergy via the Physical Trauma talent. This means that any target under the effect of the Impale dot will receive an additional 20% damage from your Final Blow.
    Last edited by Zazen; 01-15-2014 at 08:31 AM.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Zazen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepthief View Post
    I don't use anything and have no trouble tracking if it's up and I mostly PvP. You start to have a feel for it. For me I can usually get an average of 2 x 5 combo point Final Blows off.

    Unless you're pvping, though, you probably don't want to use Assassin for PvE. A lot of damage is bleed/poison DoTs and they take too long on multiple targets ... using Slip Away breaks combat so it resets mobs but stealth is good for doing PITA dailies and gathering w/ incapacitate or lost hope.

    It has decent utility and a good escape with Slip Away but for pure dps Nightblade and Bladedancer are going to be better if you want melee or Marksman for ranged single and AoE.

    $.02
    Your advice on Assassin in PvE is slightly misleading. For single-target fights with little to no target switching and no lengthy disconnects, Assassin is extremely potent. For heavy AE fights or fights where there are adds that need to be burst down quickly Assassin is less effective than other builds.

    For single target bust-a-gut dps Assassin and NB/Sin are our go-to builds. In fact I find myself using mostly Bladedancer or NB/Sin for all T1 and T2 content.
    Last edited by Zazen; 01-15-2014 at 08:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts