+ Reply to Thread

Thread: advice for a potential new rogue

Soulwalker

Default advice for a potential new rogue

Looking to start a rogue (brand new player). I would love some helpful tips as to what class/build to choose.

Looking for optimally the overall best dps (ST and AoE combined). iAlso would love some utility skills and a challenging rotation. Any suggestions??? Oh and I am not sure how rogue sub classes work in this game but I am not into the typical rogue type gameplay of /stealth and backstab, where most of your attacks have positional stealth requirements.

Also.. How does it scale to warrior dps???

If you're looking for class advice, I suggest reading up in the guides section. Right at the top of the Rogue Guides is a thread with several current Top Specs.

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ompendium.html

They are geared towards level 60 characters, so you might have to mess around with them while leveling.
    "In the land of the terribles, the mediocre is king."

Quote Originally Posted by Yogarogue View Post
    Looking to start a rogue (brand new player). I would love some helpful tips as to what class/build to choose.

Looking for optimally the overall best dps (ST and AoE combined). iAlso would love some utility skills and a challenging rotation. Any suggestions??? Oh and I am not sure how rogue sub classes work in this game but I am not into the typical rogue type gameplay of /stealth and backstab, where most of your attacks have positional stealth requirements.

Also.. How does it scale to warrior dps???
    Bladedancer:
    - Versatile
    - Good ST
    - One of the best burst AoE's in the game
    - More challenging that most specs in the game

Plane Touched

your questions may seem reasonable, however, not so for rift. Allow me to explain. In rift, any class you play will be called upon to fill any number of functions. Also fittingly in rift, you can play several different builds to best fit those required roles. Changing a build takes just a couple of seconds, and most better players will play several different builds through an encounter.

As a rogue you will need to master
    Marksman = Solid ST dps, added functionality with Int and purge, decent aoe damage
    Ranger = Slightly better ST less functionality also decent aoe
    Assassin = Best ST dps no real aoe or functionality
    Bard = Excellent support build
    Riftstalker = Tank (optional)
    Combat Surgeon = Healing (in release 3.0)

you will also want a solo/questing build and perhaps a pvp build

Unlike many mmo's rift calls for players to be flexible, so forming groups or raids is simpler. so in rift, there are no "healers" "tanks" "support" or "dps" toons. there are instead toons who can fill those roles. Think of it as your vehicle. you may primarily use it for one thing, but you can adapt to using it to accomplish many different things, You don't just use it to drive kids to soccer.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Currly View Post
    Marksman = Solid ST dps, added functionality with Int and purge, decent aoe damage
    Just want to say here: No MM does not have solid ST DPS at all.
    Buff Harb! Nerf Ranger!

Live
    Level 70 Mage Trollhydra (Main)
    Level 60 Rogue Siehydra (Used to be main D=)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeirdOne View Post
    Just want to say here: No MM does not have solid ST DPS at all.
    MMs pre60 dps is higher then rangers iirc, but more or less the above is true. Unless your pvping, MM shouldn't be a role you have
    Last edited by WhozDat; 01-15-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    The only rogue troll who does better with his warrior and plays his warrior more then his rogue.

Kaesola@Deepwood (Formerly Kaesoia/Kaesola@Wolfsbane); Miafereen@Wolfsbane (Formerly Malesh@Laethys)

+ Reply to Thread