+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Rogue combo builders

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    58

    Default Rogue combo builders

    Which soul do you think has the most dps for ST or AoE combo builders?

    I want to make a bard/dps hybrid that works by firing off codas every 20s to keep buffs up, but ignores cadenza/cadence entirely.

    Also, how can you tell whether an attack is Physical or Non-Physical? I think I figured it out, but I'd like some confirmation: If a damage type is listed (e.g. Fire, Light, Poison), then the damage is non-physical?
    Last edited by reillan; 01-10-2014 at 07:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,724

    Default

    For the last question yes you are correct. If it's labelled as Fire/Water/Air/Earth/Death/Life then it's "non-physical" (yes it's a bit of a weird classification but "Magical" and "Non-physical" attacks aren't really the same thing in Rift). If it doesn't say the damage type then it is a "physical" attack e.g. Quick Shot, Savage Strike etc.
    Last edited by Kedon; 01-10-2014 at 08:02 AM.

  3. #3
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Awesome, thanks much. That's been confusing me for months, since there seemed to be no justification for why one skill was one or the other. Wish that was explained anywhere

  4. #4
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,422

    Default

    Going deep enough in bard to get the important buffs is such an enormous sacrifice of dps that I doubt you will find a hybrid that does enough dps to be worth using over 61 bard in any situation.

  5. #5
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Going deep enough in bard to get the important buffs is such an enormous sacrifice of dps that I doubt you will find a hybrid that does enough dps to be worth using over 61 bard in any situation.
    Oh, I doubt it, too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to avoid trying. You need 31 points in Bard - 45 points still available for whatever else you want. I'm tempted to add 10 more points to bard to get the extra self-buffs, which I think should be useful on the 2nd soul (+40% Attack Power, +25% Damage, +30% Damage to Bard Attacks), but having not experimented with it I have no idea if those would help or not. (To be a true support, those 10 extra are necessary, going 41 Brd/35 Whatever).

    Currently looking into using Nightblade, focusing on NB's non-physical attacks.
    Last edited by reillan; 01-10-2014 at 09:58 AM.

  6. #6
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    641

    Default

    As a side question:
    A lot of finishers (ie. Blazing strike, Flame Thrust, swift shot) say they deal "additional [fire|death|etc.] damage per combo point".

    What exactly does that mean? If there's a non-physical component stated, is all the damage non-physical, or is there a split. As well, what's the base damage that's done? Weapon damage?

  7. #7
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reillan View Post
    Oh, I doubt it, too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to avoid trying. You need 31 points in Bard - 45 points still available for whatever else you want. I'm tempted to add 10 more points to bard to get the extra self-buffs, which I think should be useful on the 2nd soul (+40% Attack Power, +25% Damage, +30% Damage to Bard Attacks), but having not experimented with it I have no idea if those would help or not. (To be a true support, those 10 extra are necessary, going 41 Brd/35 Whatever).

    Currently looking into using Nightblade, focusing on NB's non-physical attacks.
    Once you're deep enough in Bard to get all of the buffs, you'd actually lose DPS by NOT going 61 points in, given how powerful Orchestra is.

  8. #8
    Champion Fudily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Looks like you're trying to make a Blard.
    Kukri @Deepwood
    <-VIRUS->

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    I wish there was a way to record combat logs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Why can't sab have GTAE for its traps? This cast time is really lame, its 2014, make it so.

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    51

    Default

    To add on to what Muspel said:

    A Bard's purpose is to buff the raid. There is literally no way you can distribute 45 soul points to increase your personal DPS past what your raid will lose from giving up Orchestra. Bard does not currently have the same level of hybridization available that Archon does.

    Basically, feel free to play around with different specs to see what happens, but it is a flat guarantee that anything other than 61 Bard will be a loss for the raid's total DPS. Period.
    ~~~Whisperfoot of the Storm - Ranged Rogue~~~
    ~~~May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce~~~

  10. #10
    xxs
    xxs is offline
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    292

    Default

    The only alternative of 61 bard is something like: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMwcMMvErhVRoqkthdqRvl0V00x

    54/20sin/2mm - useful on fights like kyzan if you don't have an assassin and stacking for orchestra is harder. It misses huge chunks of AP due to lack of nb/rs and 10mm but it has lethal poison (and skips all useless power cord)

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xxs View Post
    stacking for orchestra is harder.
    Doesn't need to be stacked for. The buff effect has a 30m radius. It's ginormous (which Chrome knows as a word, score!).
    Last edited by Inshalla; 01-13-2014 at 08:34 AM.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Zazen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inshalla View Post
    Doesn't need to be stacked for. The buff effect has a 30m radius. It's ginormous (which Chrome knows as a word, score!).
    Correct. The Damage component has a very small radius but that's insignificant whereas the reach of the buff is 30m and in most circumstances requires no adjustment from the bard to ensure it hits all dps.

  13. #13
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinkTheValiant View Post
    To add on to what Muspel said:

    A Bard's purpose is to buff the raid. There is literally no way you can distribute 45 soul points to increase your personal DPS past what your raid will lose from giving up Orchestra. Bard does not currently have the same level of hybridization available that Archon does.

    Basically, feel free to play around with different specs to see what happens, but it is a flat guarantee that anything other than 61 Bard will be a loss for the raid's total DPS. Period.
    My purpose is not raiding. While I have been a hardcore raider in other games in the past, I have to give that up for now.

    My purpose instead is to make a viable expert dungeon spec. I hate playing specs that are simply macro spamming. I like a Bard's functionality.

    My current thought is something like this:
    http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMwchvl0...VovlzhoGuMI0oM

    The focus for Nightblade would be maintaining DPS from Fiery Spike, using that skill to build combo points and usually launching Nightblade finishers; however, every 20s launch a bard finisher (Coda of Wrath, Coda of Fury, or the debuffs)

  14. #14
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reillan View Post
    My purpose instead is to make a viable expert dungeon spec.
    Then you shouldn't be using Bard. It's pointless in experts unless the healer is bad and/or badly undergeared.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-13-2014 at 12:55 PM.

  15. #15
    Champion Fudily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    538

    Default

    You can play a Battle Bard and still have some decent output/support, but I don't think you'll get it to work in the way you'd like and you'll contribute more to your group with a proper DPS build, assuming your healer doesn't suck.

    What I would suggest you try is a 48 Bard/24 NB variant using only Bard attacks. Like so.
    There's a couple other things you could try as well, for VoJ.
    You could try out Multiple Oscillations too. I'm not sure you'd ever use Power Chord but w/e.

    I just don't think it's possible for you to get more damage out of using NB attacks over Bard.
    Kukri @Deepwood
    <-VIRUS->

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    I wish there was a way to record combat logs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Why can't sab have GTAE for its traps? This cast time is really lame, its 2014, make it so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts