+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Valnak

Thread: Having trouble as Assassin in PVP

Soulwalker

Default Having trouble as Assassin in PVP

Hi all,

I've been playing Rift for about 3 weeks now and I'm currently a level 40 sin, going for the 61sin, 15 NB, 0 MM.
    I have been doing quite some warfronts to level and I noticed some things.

It seems to be near impossible to kill tanks (which is obviously fine), but also I can't seem to kill healers or some mages at all. For example, I fought a Chloro mage 1v1, my rotation was the standard stealth>expose weakness>jagged strike>puncture>impale>builder>finishing blow. This guy was healing everything right back, even shielding himself and at the same time somehow killing me.

Am I doing something wrong or am I missing some things?

Assassin is a poor PvP spec until level 60, as the spec relies heavily on Master of Poisons for its damage output. (And even at 60, I'd argue that 61 Assassin is somewhat overspecialized, I tend to recommend more versatile specs such as Marksman for warfronts.)

Press 1 a few times then hit 2.

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaObito View Post
    Am I doing something wrong or am I missing some things?
    a third poison, lots of dps

hit 60 and you'll do a lot better
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Go 16 bd until 60. The +30% damage is pretty awesome. Pop it and poison malice together for huge burst.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    Go 16 bd until 60. The +30% damage is pretty awesome. Pop it and poison malice together for huge burst.
    Can you post a soul with those for around lvl 40?

Ascendant

You can get lvl60 very fast if you know what to do. Play Instant Adventures and do all get other XP buff stuff like dungeons etc. Once you hit lvl48 go to storm legion areas and do the story quests there. You'll also get some noterity XP from story quests which is need to unlock some runes for your gear.
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Assassin is a poor PvP spec until level 60, as the spec relies heavily on Master of Poisons for its damage output. (And even at 60, I'd argue that 61 Assassin is somewhat overspecialized, I tend to recommend more versatile specs such as Marksman for warfronts.)
    I don't think you pvp at all lol.

Pre 60 sin is fine, so many bad 60 rogues in this game (cough old cluster 2 bads)

And a well played 61 sin will do far better then a easy mode mm with a heal bot in warfronts. 61 sin is the best anti healer in the game. You really think a 3rd psn is why sin is good ROFL. my gosh no wonder every rogue in pvp in this game is so bad.
    Last edited by Emofanboy; 01-10-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emofanboy View Post
    I don't think you pvp at all lol.

Pre 60 sin is fine, so many bad 60 rogues in this game (cough old cluster 2 bads)

And a well played 61 sin will do far better then a easy mode mm with a heal bot in warfronts. 61 sin is the best anti healer in the game. You really think a 3rd psn is why sin is good ROFL. my gosh no wonder every rogue in pvp in this game is so bad.
    Poisons make up approximately 50% of your DPS output. That ratio increases on disconnects (which are fairly common in PvP) and during Poison Malice (which is when you do your highest burst).

With only two poisons, your DPS drops significantly. Also, at low levels you won't have vital Assassin abilities such as Leaping Plunge.

At level 60, Assassin is largely a one-trick pony. Any untargeted AoE can uncover you in stealth (or at least start Hidden Veil's countdown), and this is particularly easy with large conal AoEs such as Crossfire. The CCs are nice, but they all break on damage and a LOT of people will AoE and break them almost instantly, meaning that Foul Play is the only one that's consistently useful. Assassin is also extremely vulnerable to purges, as they remove your poisons-- sure, you can rebuff, but at that point the element of surprise is gone and your window of opportunity may be gone.

Most importantly, 61 Assassin lacks utility. About the only thing you can do in a teamfight is provide damage. That's far from useless, but it leaves you without vital tools such as interrupts, purges, knockbacks, etc. Worst of all, you're forced into melee range in a very squishy spec where your only escape tool (Slip Away) is also an important part of your offense.

Assassin is not a bad PvP spec, but it's not a good one, either. You can do well with it in random warfronts, but that's simply because the overwhelming majority of players are really bad at PvP, not because of Assassin's inherent strengths.

Telaran

Poisons make up approximately 50% of your DPS output. That ratio increases on disconnects (which are fairly common in PvP) and during Poison Malice (which is when you do your highest burst).

With only two poisons, your DPS drops significantly. Also, at low levels you won't have vital Assassin abilities such as Leaping Plunge.

At level 60, Assassin is largely a one-trick pony. Any untargeted AoE can uncover you in stealth (or at least start Hidden Veil's countdown), and this is particularly easy with large conal AoEs such as Crossfire. The CCs are nice, but they all break on damage and a LOT of people will AoE and break them almost instantly, meaning that Foul Play is the only one that's consistently useful. Assassin is also extremely vulnerable to purges, as they remove your poisons-- sure, you can rebuff, but at that point the element of surprise is gone and your window of opportunity may be gone.

Most importantly, 61 Assassin lacks utility. About the only thing you can do in a teamfight is provide damage. That's far from useless, but it leaves you without vital tools such as interrupts, purges, knockbacks, etc. Worst of all, you're forced into melee range in a very squishy spec where your only escape tool (Slip Away) is also an important part of your offense.

Assassin is not a bad PvP spec, but it's not a good one, either. You can do well with it in random warfronts, but that's simply because the overwhelming majority of players are really bad at PvP, not because of Assassin's inherent strengths.
    pvp is not pve your silly psn dps means nothing.

if you actually knew the Pvp sin builds, you would understand sin has almost all the tools as a MM with better dmg pvp is not pve repeat after mean, pvp is not pve thanks.

61 sin is not a one trick pony.....do you even rift? Please comment only on pve, Because you certainly have no clue about pvp.

I don't know any good pvp sin that uses the silly raid dps spec for pvp ROFL, Sin spec correctly for pvp has tons of utility, best anti healer in the game.
    Last edited by Emofanboy; 01-10-2014 at 12:26 PM.

pvp is not pve your silly psn dps means nothing.
    I don't think you have any clue how much of your damage comes from poisons in PvP. It's an even higher portion than it is in PvE.

if you actually knew the Pvp sin builds, you would understand sin has almost all the tools as a MM with better dmg pvp is not pve repeat after mean, pvp is not pve thanks.
    61 Assassin has almost zero utility aside from the CCs that break on damage (and, as I noted above, those usually break much too rapidly to be of much use in a fight).

Assassin has NONE of Marksman's tools. It has no purge, no interrupt, no knockbacks, and only a 2-second root. It does not have Crossfire, which can be used to find stealthed characters. It does not have Marksman's high survivability. It cannot escape from sticky situations without Slip Away, which is on a 2-minute cooldown.

And non-61 Assassin builds are even worse, because they give up all of that utility and have awful DPS. The only thing that they're good for is 1v1, and nobody gives a crap about 1v1.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
    Can you post a soul with those for around lvl 40?
    Something like this: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#yk2lRa8ab0/xkf8g/A

I'm not actually sure if I picked all the min/max talents correctly, but essentially you want to end up with this at 51:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#ykiBla8lay/xkf8g/A

At 59 you'd end up with this:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#yk-kGFlgGl4/xkf8m0/A
    or if you feel like you have enough gap closers:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#ykiBlaG5iEw/xkf8k/A

At 60 you want to use a 61 sin.

Again, someone like Muspel would know a lot more about min/maxing the assassin soul skill tree for maximum damage.

Sample macro:

Builder:

#show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Swift Shot

This is your standard spam.

Burst Builder:
    #show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Poison Malice
    cast Blade Tempo
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Serpent Strike

This uses your cooldowns first, then hits backstab/savage and then ogcd hits the serpent for maximum burst. This doesn't have swift shot in it because when you're blowing cooldowns you don't want to waste a gcd on swift shot. You want the target dead.

Standard finisher rotations is Impale -> Final Blow. Keep Impale up and final blow when it's up. Rotation being Builderx5 -> Impale -> Burst Builder x5 combo points -> Final Blow -> Burst Builder x5 combo points -> Final Blow, etc.

Make sure that you're using your cooldowns before jagged strike. For maximum burst you'd want to open with a cooldown'd jagged.

Telaran

Maybe im old school, i just came back to the game a few weeks ago from when the level cap was 50, but i favor Sin/RS much more then Sin/BD. Im just getting to 55 now, 58 pvp level. I pvp open world and WFs more then i do anything else, if possible ill hit 60 on pvp xp I only run 16 points in RS, the ports, more HPs and an extra bit of healing per kill is nice.

To each their own for sure but im often hitting the top of the KBs/Damage done in WFs and can often hold a flag/ point solo with the build.

Alot of Sin is about what works for you, but slip away it key in making Sin useful. stealth > pressure healers, stealth > kill anyone in temple, stealth > kill those attempting to take your flag and slip away.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarlis View Post
    Maybe im old school, i just came back to the game a few weeks ago from when the level cap was 50, but i favor Sin/RS much more then Sin/BD. Im just getting to 55 now, 58 pvp level. I pvp open world and WFs more then i do anything else, if possible ill hit 60 on pvp xp I only run 16 points in RS, the ports, more HPs and an extra bit of healing per kill is nice.

To each their own for sure but im often hitting the top of the KBs/Damage done in WFs and can often hold a flag/ point solo with the build.

Alot of Sin is about what works for you, but slip away it key in making Sin useful. stealth > pressure healers, stealth > kill anyone in temple, stealth > kill those attempting to take your flag and slip away.
    There's a ton of different specs and subspecs for assassin. Different ones are better at different things. Basically every other soul can work with assassin except more than 4 tact.

61 Assassin has almost zero utility aside from the CCs that break on damage (and, as I noted above, those usually break much too rapidly to be of much use in a fight).

Assassin has NONE of Marksman's tools. It has no purge, no interrupt, no knockbacks, and only a 2-second root. It does not have Crossfire, which can be used to find stealthed characters. It does not have Marksman's high survivability. It cannot escape from sticky situations without Slip Away, which is on a 2-minute cooldown.

And non-61 Assassin builds are even worse, because they give up all of that utility and have awful DPS. The only thing that they're good for is 1v1, and nobody gives a crap about 1v1.
    Assassin is good for one thing: Guaranteed healer pressure, and removal, and in actuality, sin and NB are both specs you should be running in an "optimal" pvp environment, because MM is next to useless, and by far the worst raw ranged dps spec in pvp currently.

Given, there's about 9001 variables that affect sin and NB, and about 50 that affect MM.

MM is more reliable if you're solo quing, and often much more useful in general wfs, however the less and less you need to rely on outside influences (Ala the more people you que with) the less powerful MM is, because everything MM does, is done much better by another class (BM/VK has MM utility on steroids, and pyro/tempest has MM damage, on steroids) thus you end up going towards the thing that rogues have that no other class has in abundance: mana drains.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by WhozDat; 01-11-2014 at 01:47 AM.
    The only rogue troll who does better with his warrior and plays his warrior more then his rogue.

Kaesola@Deepwood (Formerly Kaesoia/Kaesola@Wolfsbane); Miafereen@Wolfsbane (Formerly Malesh@Laethys)

+ Reply to Thread