+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Rogue Presets

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default Rogue Presets

Kervik posted this on the Mage and Cleric forums so I'm posting the same here.

As many of you know, we’re adding some new talent presets to the game. We have several of them that were determined by the contest we ran, and those will be showing up in the game in the near future. However, as several people have pointed out, the new presets don’t quite cover all of the bases. In most cases missing builds are fairly common ones, but there may be some others that just weren’t entered into the contest.

Here’s a quick list of the winning presets from the contest for Rogues:
    1. Support: The Bard - TheGrinnz
    2. Tank: Phasewalker - Muspel
    3. DPS: Bladedancer - Muspel
    4. DPS: Bladedancer Solo - Muspel
    5. DPS: The Skirmisher - Fiskerton

You can also take a look at the other entries to the contest here.

What I’m looking for at this point are the important Rogue builds that are not currently part of the preset list (including the contest winners). Suggestions can include builds that were part of the contest, but did not win. It can also include updates to existing presets that may be close, but not quite there. You can also suggest builds that aren’t in any of these categories that you feel would be a beneficial preset for people to have access to. As a side note, you can also point out any of the existing presets that just shouldn’t be there and we will look at removing them if they’re not used or an ineffectual build.

The end result of all of this will be a few additional presets being created to fill in the gaps so the presets provide good and up-to-date builds for people to use. These suggestions don’t need to follow the contest format and can just link to a build or one of the guides in the forums if a guide exists. We’ll give credit out if an existing guide is used to create the preset.
    Last edited by Vladd; 04-23-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Lead Designer - RIFT

Ascendant

I almost submitted the NB/RS (aka Granpa spec) solo build (one of the two most common and arguably effective solo specs) but the contest rules stated that you can't submit builds that belong to others and as it's not technically mine (someone else wrote the guide) I wasn't sure if it was allowed.

Could I get a little clarification on the rules on this subject?

RIFT Guide Writer

The three dps guides I have seem to be quite popular:
    NB http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...dps-guide.html
    NB/Sin http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...dps-guide.html
    Ranger http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...dps-guide.html

And the current presets are all bad.

Rogue's were really lacking in best dps presets department.
    As their was no Nightblade, Assassin, Saboteur, Tactman, Ranger preset posted during the contest.

I do consider Tactman to still be vaild.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 01-08-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Ascendant

Woops. Forgot to actually link the guide mentioned: Granpa's NB/RS Rogue soloing/levelling build http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ling-spec.html
    Last edited by Kedon; 01-08-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Plane Walker

Don't you have people who work at Trion who play rogue?! (I suppose this would explain a lot...)

Anyway, any really good rogue player can sit down and give you the specs for what the rogue class needs for presets. In my opinion, you shouldn't need to include the "specialty" builds that are needed for particular raids and particular pvp setups.

Personally, I think there should only be 3-4 presets in the game. Anything more would just confuse new players. Once they hit 60, then they should start doing their own research to find better builds ...either online or through expirmentation.

My suggestion would be to include the following 4 presets:
    - Ranged DPS - 61 Marksman
    - Melee DPS - 61 Assassin
    - Support - 61 Bard
    - Tank: 61 Riftstalker

And, yes, I know there are other good builds that people need to know, like saboteur and tactician. I also know that 61 ranger is probably the best ranged dps build right now (I use it even for pvp!) Finally, I'm sure there's much better melee dps out there too ..but 61 assassin is still very effective, especially for 50-60 leveling...and it's an easy build.

BUT, the goal is to give *new* players with builds that they can learn quickly/easily (these are all fairly easy builds) and be functional in entry-level content at whatever level they're at. Providing anything else above this would just be confusing.

Keep the presets simple/short and put something in there about finding more resources online. That's my suggestion.

-----
    EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to say that I personally thought that a lot of the stuff submitted for the contest was just really goofy/bad (especially when I looked at the mage stuff.) It was like people were trying to be creative for the sake of creativity....not practical for the sake of functionality.
    Last edited by Aelorean; 01-08-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladd View Post
    You can also take a look at the other entries to the contest here
    Vladd, that link seems to be broken. Can you repost?

Quote Originally Posted by R0NlN View Post
    Just take the quotation mark off of the end of the URL.

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by R0NlN View Post
    Fixed. Try the original now.
    Lead Designer - RIFT

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aelorean View Post
    Personally, I think there should only be 3-4 presets in the game. Anything more would just confuse new players. Once they hit 60, then they should start doing their own research to find better builds ...either online or through expirmentation.

My suggestion would be to include the following 4 presets:
    - Ranged DPS - 61 Marksman
    - Melee DPS - 61 Assassin
    - Support - 61 Bard
    - Tank: 61 Riftstalker
    -Healing
    -Solo play -sin or bd with several points in RS
    -melee dps with disconnects - nb/sin
    -pure ranged dps - ranger
    -AOE dps - sab

am i the only one who carries around 7 roles (i'd buy atleast 3 more if i had the credits)?

+ Reply to Thread