+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there a space for my rogue?

Telaran

Default Is there a space for my rogue?

I really love playing my character. It's part of why I picked up the game again.
    The problem is, I apparently suck at it ... either that, or the way I play my character just isn't useful for any expert or higher content.

I play as a bard. I've maxed out bard points and put a few into Nightblade (for the mez) and Marksman. I can't heal anyone else reliably, not least because it requires switching between my dps target and the heal target (although maybe there's some kind of target forwarding that could help with that? e.g., heal my target's target?). I do a great job keeping debuffs up on my target and buffs up on my group, but my dps is too low (I use cadenza twice and throw off coda of wrath when I get to 5 points, along with the verse of agony... but I keep getting told to switch to dps).

So, question: do I have to get a dps build as well? I haven't enjoyed any of the ones I've tried thus far. Or is there a space for a buffing bard?

Currently I'm 61 bard, but I'm considering switching to these two (difficulty: I don't have access to Tact):

AoE build: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMwchV0VvlrzVRoqktudqRvlM
    ST build: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMwchl0V0zvErzVRo0kthdqRvlm

Bard is absolutely essential in raids, where there's lots of people to benefit from the buffs it brings.

It's almost useless in dungeons, where there aren't. Your job as a bard is not to heal, it's to increase DPS. In 5-mans, you'll do that better by playing a DPS spec.

If you queue for a dungeon as support, that means that you go DPS unless the healer specifically requests otherwise. (This is very rare, and generally only happens on specific encounters when you have a poorly geared/bad healer.)
    Last edited by Muspel; 12-27-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Telaran

Well... crud. Is there a dps spec that would play near-enough to bard - e.g., range and self heals? I tried a Marksman build and an Assassin build and felt utterly vulnerable in solo content (I need to play my char solo to get used to playing it for dungeons)

Ascendant

Not really, no, especially if you don't have the SL souls. The best ranged solo soul is Tactician (AoE damage and some healing). Though all right on trash packs it's not something you'd be using on a boss anyway.

Really you just have to get used to using completely different specs for solo stuff and grouping in dungeons. Marksman's a decent enough DPS spec for 5 mans. Damage that's juat about good enough to get the job done, easy to learn and covers any purging and interrupting needs. A little bit of AoE too.
    Last edited by Kedon; 12-27-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Telaran

Wow. No offense to you, but that's a really bad idea for a game. I can't possibly do dungeons often enough to get good with my oh #!@% skills... maybe if I was a tank or healer, but as dps I can't find a dungeon more often than once every 2 hours.

sigh...

Ok, got that out of my system. Are there any rogue skills that let you move about the room quickly? e.g., I'd like to be able to jump backward 40 yards or so when the boss invariably places a red pool at his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by reillan View Post
    Wow. No offense to you, but that's a really bad idea for a game. I can't possibly do dungeons often enough to get good with my oh #!@% skills... maybe if I was a tank or healer, but as dps I can't find a dungeon more often than once every 2 hours.
    I disagree. If every soul were designed to do the same thing, then even the most minor imbalances would become greatly magnified and any soul that was even slightly underpowered would be rarely played.

Instead, we have souls that are specialized for different situations. For instance, Marksman has tons of utility but deals lower DPS than other souls, while Ranger is less versatile but can beat MM on a straight burn. Meanwhile, Assassin has the highest single-target DPS of any rogue soul, but has no AoE. Et cetera. Each soul is a tool that you use for different fights.

sigh...

Ok, got that out of my system. Are there any rogue skills that let you move about the room quickly? e.g., I'd like to be able to jump backward 40 yards or so when the boss invariably places a red pool at his feet.
    Marksman has Retreat and On the Double. On top of that, your rotation gives you constant speed buffs. It's a good spec for dungeons due to its versatility and mobility. As I noted above, though, Marksman deals lower DPS than other souls, so if you want to optimize there are a number of fights where you should use other specs. I'd steer clear of using Marksman on most raid encounters, though.

Telaran

How many different specs do you have?

I'm probably not the best person to ask, because I'm a role junkie-- I have sixteen (many of which I haven't used in months because of how absurdly overspecialized they are).

You only really need four or five for the overwhelming majority of encounters that you'll run across. 61 Marksman, 61 Ranger, 61 Bladedancer, and 61 Assassin will cover pretty much all of your needs. If you want more than that, I'd look at adding 61 Nightblade and an AoE spec (either Tact/MM or Saboteur).
    Last edited by Muspel; 12-27-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Its personal preference. I dont know anyone with less than two though.. most have 3 or 4 at least that they use regularly, a melee dps, a ranged dps, maybe an AOE dps, and a support/tank/heal depending on their class. On the opposite end, my cleric has 13 specs, and i use most of them regularly.. except the cabalist.. rarely use that one.
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

13 roles atm and wanting more. All rogue souls have strong points a weaknesses so the more role slots you have the better you can fill you group/raids needs. Also the more role you can do the more invaluable you become to a guild.

+ Reply to Thread