+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newcomer - How to set up a Bard?

Soulwalker

Default Newcomer - How to set up a Bard?

Hey everyone
    First of all, if this post does not belong her, please move it so the sections desired.

So, the thing is:
    I'm a new guy and I wanted to started RIFT because there is the possibility to play a Bard. Easy as that. (However, it still needs 37 hours of patching, so I couldn't play much yet (yay, vodafone)).
    I will probably play together with 2 friends - One of them Warrior (Something Damage/Tank, I don't know) and a Mage (Something Damage/Healing) and me, wanting to play a Bard.
    In fact, no one of us is going to play >that< told character, unless the other two are online aswell. We agreed on that. To make this clear: I will never be alone and always be in a (small) group of at least 2 other partymembers. (Maybe a fourth one of us will join aswell.)
    That being said, I have, like, no idea how to set up my Bard.
    I'd like to be a Bard, which is usefull in a Group, but still not feeling bored, just standing around using some buffs and do nothing else. I'd like to heal something and I'd also like to deal some damage.
    How is that possible? Please keep in mind, that I was not able to play any longer than lvl 5 so far, and so i have absolutly no experience in that game. Besided, probably we will stop playing this game at some point, because we always stop games at a given time. That said, I do not look for options on lvl 30+, because that is probably way to much lvling for me.
    I'd rather have some tips till lvl 20 or such, being a Damage dealing supporter not standing bored in the world chilling my own life.
    Thanks for everyone reading this and thanks even more for your answers!

if you desire to do dmg go with cadenza and coda of wrath/coda of fury

if you want to heal go with cadence and coda of restoration (spec points into invigorated soul)

either way you should keep your motifs up, buff the group and debuff the enemy
    Quite@Typhiria
    -GreatWhiteNinja- he was right after all -
    61 Dominator Guide
    Nightmare rifts - An indepth guide to reach stage 300

The guide in my sig may be helpful. It's geared toward level 60, but you can easily leave out abilities you haven't gotten yet while leveling, Bard is a great spec for any level.

Plane Walker

Just to let you know OP,

Bard is not known for big damage or heals. They can do a little bit, but don't expect to see huge numbers. Other than that, you'll be supporting your friends characters. Bards are often not seen for the amount of help they bring to a party. But trust me, they do~!

Good luck and Enjoy the game!

While bard doesnt truly shine in small parties, once you spec into cadence healing its not to bad. Buff your party do some trickle healing or do ok dps. On the other hand it its hard to kill even at low levels and you will make the rest of your party a lot stronger.

Rift Master

Here's what my point spread would look like at 20 if I was building a pure bard for small groups. The key here is that you can skill skills to buff your self heals/endurance. Your off-spec points are spent buffing your AP, although you can replace Riftstalker with Marksman for increased range (sacrificing some AP).

Soulwalker

Thans to all these replies!
    That helped me understand how to set up a bard and what it's role is.
    Thanks also for the guide and for that soul tree!
    I hope i'll someday be able to fully play the game, without those laggs because of permanent downloading thanks to vodafone.
    Thank you all again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyloch View Post
    Bard is not known for big damage or heals. They can do a little bit, but don't expect to see huge numbers. Other than that, you'll be supporting your friends characters. Bards are often not seen for the amount of help they bring to a party. But trust me, they do~!
    ^ this
    Bards are like cross-training shoes. You can do many activities in the shoe but it doesn't do anything better than a specific type of shoe. For example, you can workout in a cross training shoe, run, walk, play basketball, tennis, etc. But, if you were to get a basketball shoe, you'd get more ankle support, better mid-sole cushioning, an outsole designed for pivoting. If you were to get a running shoe, you'd get something lighter, more breathable, more flexible in the areas where you land in the heel and push off on the forefoot, etc.

Bards are good at trickle heals but are limited at burst heals. At higher levels, you can hit Virtuoso and spam Coda of Restoration for a little extra healing for 15s, or spam Coda of Wrath for a little extra burst dps. The main thing to remember is that you're supporting and buffing the group/raid members with your motifs (and resonance), stat buffs, along with providing some utility with Verse of Joy and Orchestra of the Planes. Don't expect to top the DPS or healing charts.

+ Reply to Thread