+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: A fun way to improve riftstalker's weakness

Soulwalker

Default A fun way to improve riftstalker's weakness

First off, i love riftstalker. Its the most fun tank spec ive played in any mmo, i love teleporting all over the place, and having enough cooldowns to survive most anything. But the obvious weakness to the spec is our inability to grab adds at a range. Quick shot(ranger subsoul) does terrible threat, and while we can blink to the add and memory capture back, on any boss with a cleave it will likely result in ppl getting gibbed. The simple fix would be to increase the threat caused by quickshot or give us some type of room wide aoe threat (cough, op clerics) but i had another idea.
    A new ability, im calling "sever shadow"

1 min cooldown
    Summons a Shadow minion with the rogue's stats (hp, relevant mitigation stats), upon casting all threat the rogue currently has is transferred to the shadow. the shadow pulses "planar vortex" possibly with increased dmg or threat so it can hold aggro, but any damage, or debuffs placed on the shadow are immediately transferred to the rogue. after 10 seconds (maybe 15), the shadow despawns and any threat it has is transferred back to the rogue.

This would allow us to run off and pick up an incoming add without having to move whatever we are tanking currently, and kinda fits with the whole theme of riftstalker.
    Idk its a work in progress, any thoughts, comments, constructive criticism are appreciated

Well if you are talking a close in group...while more complicated...one could say memory capture....blink towards adds...flashback. Yes when cleaves exist there may be an issue but typically you only have this issue in a raid and there you should have a tank with the ability you note. There needs to be a LITTLE differentiation between the various tanks souls.
    Last edited by Galibier; 12-09-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Ascendant

I do like that ability idea. As it stand, even in raids, Rogues do posses all the tools they need (memory capture and flash) but it is simply more difficult.
    \

Far too fancy =p

Personally I don't think there's even an issue. There isn't a pull in this game that you can't manage with what we have currently.

Giving us ranged threat options kind of defeats the point of having the teleports. It only feels weird if you're trying to play it like a warrior / cleric tank.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

xxs
    Plane Touched

Contrary on the OP's opinion, riftstalker play style is rather bland. Yes, it does have blinks that can bypass stuff like lasers but the rotation on most fights is totally boring 2buttons+blink. The spec lacks any dps viable paths either. (even the dps buff fades while offtanking and being super brave to turn constant deviation/stalker phase). Ok, it does have survival cooldowns and "scatter the shadows" allows to bypass mechanics in the expert dungeons.

For instance: tanks in Lineage2 past C4/interlude were tons more fun and actually could pvp, aside blinking in the church of port scion (mostly pve, rift prison on any active player and use the shield to prevent interrupts from mobs) riftstalker aint anywhere hot pvp-wise.

AE threat is the niche of the cleric tank. Giving it to rogues would effectively relegate the cleric tank to an also-ran since outside of AE threat issues, rogue tanks are vastly better especially on progression.

Soulwalker

I think people are misinterpreting what i'm saying. to give us roomwide threat like a cleric would be a mistake. thats why i was thinking this would be a more interesting way to allow us to grab incoming adds. basically the whole effect of this ability is to hold whatever were tanking in place for a few seconds so we can run off and grab threat like we currently do. it could also be achieved by giving us a root that would work on bosses, however you could exploit many mechanics with that.
    its not a necessary change. my guild currently runs 2 rogue tanks most nights, and we don't really have any problems, its more of a quality of life improvement.

It would be a solution in search of a problem; I've tanked everything there is to tank in this game since GSB was a thing... and there is exactly one fight that absolutely requires a non-rogue tank: The add tank for Laethys P1.

There are some encounters that would be easier with a cleric tank, but its still perfectly doable with other tanks. I've done salv & ultaine with two rogue tanks.

I wouldn't even call giving riftstalkers a ranged threat build a QoL change... I'd consider that another step in homogenizing everything. iunno about you, but I've no interest in playing a game where everyone in a role is the same with different ability names and sparkles.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post

I wouldn't even call giving riftstalkers a ranged threat build a QoL change... I'd consider that another step in homogenizing everything. iunno about you, but I've no interest in playing a game where everyone in a role is the same with different ability names and sparkles.
    its not a ranged threat build tho. it sits in one place and holds what you were tanking, so u can blink to an add and grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidd View Post
    its not a ranged threat build tho. it sits in one place and holds what you were tanking, so u can blink to an add and grab it.
    I'd like an example of an encounter where this would be a useful thing to have

Soulwalker

The idea came to me while doing the 1st boss of EE the other night. We use the circle method with 2 rogue tanks, so i am tanking the pack of bosses around the inner circle while the other tank has the solo mob with the group on the outer circle. when the 3rd add dies and proginator came active he was in the group and 1 shot my tank healer b4 i could get in range to taunt. Its not a perfect example since none of the mobs cleave but, i didnt want to run around while the other tank was trying to grab the other mob off me. You are right and there is not a situation i can think of that an ability like this would be necessary, it just seams like it would be fun.
    I agree 100% that they should not give rogues a ranged threat builder or roomwide threat, i like the class the way it is. I was thinking of this as a way to accomplish the same goal while keeping riftstalker unique.

Because Riftstalker really needs more mobility.
    I used to be good at this game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidd View Post
    The idea came to me while doing the 1st boss of EE the other night. We use the circle method with 2 rogue tanks, so i am tanking the pack of bosses around the inner circle while the other tank has the solo mob with the group on the outer circle. when the 3rd add dies and proginator came active he was in the group and 1 shot my tank healer b4 i could get in range to taunt. Its not a perfect example since none of the mobs cleave but, i didnt want to run around while the other tank was trying to grab the other mob off me. You are right and there is not a situation i can think of that an ability like this would be necessary, it just seams like it would be fun.
    I agree 100% that they should not give rogues a ranged threat builder or roomwide threat, i like the class the way it is. I was thinking of this as a way to accomplish the same goal while keeping riftstalker unique.
    Nobody should be by progenitor, especially right before he becomes active.

And really its the single-mob tank's job to pick up prog when he activates, not yours. He can park himself right next to prog before the mini dies and he'll be right there when prog activates.

Ascendant

It's worth testing, but I don't think it will change anything. You are just one of the very few players who like RiftStalker in his current state, because majority hates playing him and current tanks in general.

He's extremely boring and unenjoyable for my taste.
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHealNeverDie View Post
    It's worth testing, but I don't think it will change anything. You are just one of the very few players who like RiftStalker in his current state, because majority hates playing him and current tanks in general.

He's extremely boring and unenjoyable for my taste.
    Actually as I read between the lines it seems you find Riftstalker too difficult. You want to further dilute any required skill with another easy button.

I'm all for QoL improvements but this suggestion is not required by any means.
    Last edited by Zazen; 12-10-2013 at 01:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast