+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Decoy is pathetic

Soulwalker

Default Decoy is pathetic

I've recently started playing rift and im a marksmann/bladedancer hybrid. One of my most important skills is the decoy skill but it doest work out at all.
    I expected it to work like a normal pet but instead its a weak and incomplete ai who attacs everything around you, doesnt look like you at all and doest really make much difference in a fight.
    Dear trion please change this.
    For example:
    increase cooldown to 3 minutes
    increase duration to 1 minute
    make him resemble the caster
    the decoy only attacks the casters target
    the decoy uses the same weapons and spells as the caster is using.
    the decoy deals 35% of the casters damange

please respond if you also think that the decoy skill is a huge dissapointment and needs to be fixed. also feel free to suggest other changes.

Greetings, Joe

Marksman is not a very important build for most pve encounters, and I never play it in pvp, its quite boring. Your best dps builds are not MM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by joexdtry View Post
    I've recently started playing rift and im a marksmann/bladedancer hybrid. One of my most important skills is the decoy skill but it doest work out at all.
    I expected it to work like a normal pet but instead its a weak and incomplete ai who attacs everything around you, doesnt look like you at all and doest really make much difference in a fight.
    Dear trion please change this.
    For example:
    increase cooldown to 3 minutes
    increase duration to 1 minute
    make him resemble the caster
    the decoy only attacks the casters target
    the decoy uses the same weapons and spells as the caster is using.
    the decoy deals 35% of the casters damange

please respond if you also think that the decoy skill is a huge dissapointment and needs to be fixed. also feel free to suggest other changes.

Greetings, Joe
    Decoy isn't really a pet, it's a dot. Unfortunately, it has some weaknesses that traditional dots don't have namely, that it can be prematurely removed and it's not predictable who it will affect if you don't have an active target.

I like the concept of Decoy but the implementation has some problems that require addressing.

A reasonable first change would be to make it indestructible and only affect the marksman's current target.

"Dumb" pets are garbage in MMO's, period.

Eq2 was popular for using this garbage type of 'ability'/mechanic. They only started to be even half good when they made them share stats with your toon. Meh, they suck for reasons listed here. Kind of makes me sad in 2013, with all the history of MMO's, that people think dumbfire pets are good ideas or that pets are reasonable if you don't share the stats with the toon or somehow scale them.

Just surprises me MMO's fall to the same negatives pets in general bring. They've sucked in the past and fixes have been demonstrated before. Same reason many things in this game boggle me. It contains flaws that you can, almost by text-book, look to see how they were acutely fixed and addressed. Devs of all people should know this crap.

Say no to 'dumb' pets and non-shared stats.
    Last edited by Violacea; 12-05-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Decoy should be scrapped and the dps should be routed into the munitions (either buff current or allow a third). I think the problem with it isn't that it's just a dot or whatever, it's that it's a dot that just up and dies on you
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 12-05-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    Decoy should be scrapped and the dps should be routed into the munitions (either buff current or allow a third). I think the problem with it isn't that it's just a dot or whatever, it's that it's a dot that just up and dies on you
    Thats fine, so long as the dps remains the same in pvp content, we know there's no need to change it there.
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

i actually like the idea of it being a copy of the caster doing almost the same dps but just lasting for the usual time...it has to have the same appearance and hitpoints and name

vladd can you hear me?^^
    Quite@Typhiria
    -GreatWhiteNinja- he was right after all -
    61 Dominator Guide
    Nightmare rifts - An indepth guide to reach stage 300

What are you talking about??!?!?!

Decoy is the most OP rogue in the game!

Every warfront I do, he is in, I swear sometimes I see 2 of him at the same time and on different servers!

Its madness, he isn't weak!
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

Decoy is absolutely useless. More often than not he just goes off attacking other things, and when he does attempt to attack what I am, if I use Static Shot on my target (which I tend to do quite often), Decoy will NOT attack them until the root has been broken or until the five seconds are up. His shift only lasts fifteen seconds, he wastes about three derping around when I summon him, then another five when I root my enemy... what's the point in summoning him at all? Do other pets stop attacking if you root your enemy? It's like Decoy isn't programmed to know that I've put points into Improved Static Shot so that it no longer breaks on damage and he's trying to do me a favour. Decoy definitely needs a huge overhaul or to be removed and replaced with something more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rgizil View Post
    What are you talking about??!?!?!

Decoy is the most OP rogue in the game!

Every warfront I do, he is in, I swear sometimes I see 2 of him at the same time and on different servers!

Its madness, he isn't weak!
    but he keeps dying to phase rip

Quote Originally Posted by Laputa View Post
    Decoy is absolutely useless.
    Yes, an off-GCD ability that does 15-20k damage is totally useless.

Wait, no.

You can argue that it's poorly designed-- and to some extent, it is, because it can die to AoE, but it's still a very strong ability, and is far from useless.
    Last edited by Muspel; 12-05-2013 at 03:56 PM.

If used properly, Decoy will be near or even above 1k DPS - somewhere around 5% of Marksman's total (or at least potential) DPS. While it can be wrangled into staying alive even on a fight like Kyzan, its managements is one of the most stilted or even perverse activities I've seen in a game. I'm reminded of dealing with something like a Sim pissing itself and running into a bathroom that's on fire as perhaps the closest analog.

And I don't think I've ever had a DoT spawn an extra Delayed Annihilation bubble next to me, nor had one count as one of the persons affected by a Lava Field.

Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    And I don't think I've ever had a DoT spawn an extra Delayed Annihilation bubble next to me, nor had one count as one of the persons affected by a Lava Field.
    I've never seen the Decoy do that but unless it's been fixed full pets can still be the target of Necrotic Expansion. All the standard pets steal heals and buffs (don't know if Decoy does), it's really just Lava Field that sucks and only affects 10 characters. Either way Kyzan needs to be fixed and Decoy needs to be fixed.

Yes, an off-GCD ability that does 15-20k damage is totally useless.

Wait, no.

You can argue that it's poorly designed-- and to some extent, it is, because it can die to AoE, but it's still a very strong ability, and is far from useless.
    Let me rephrase absolutely to pretty much. If it focused on my target and didn't have a break when I rooted the enemy it would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Laputa View Post
    Let me rephrase absolutely to pretty much. If it focused on my target and didn't have a break when I rooted the enemy it would be good.
    Decoy attacks the enemy that you're targeting when you use it. It will only switch if that enemy becomes an invalid target for some reason (IE if it dies).

The fact that it ignores rooted enemies only matters in PvP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast