+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Rogue: Need help picking an early leveling build. Super noobish on soul system.

Rift Disciple

Default New Rogue: Need help picking an early leveling build. Super noobish on soul system.

Hey folks,

The soul system looks extremely interesting but it is also a bit overwhelming. I hope you'll take it easy on me and help me pick something out for leveling so I can really jump into Rift with both feet!

I'm looking for a primarily ranged/archer type character that can solo really well, duo, and do dungeons in PvE/leveling up. Having some decent melee is cool also if possible.

Also, a few general soul questions:

1) Do you simply put points in a soul, and it picks the specific abilities within that soul? Or is it like a skill tree where you pick exactly where the points go?

2) Character creation has me pick a "class" (warrior/rogue/cleric/mage) and then a purpose. Does picking that purpose mess me up for picking a better soul combination? Should I just use one of those purposes as a n00b to the game or no? How easy/expensive is it to respec?

3) It sounds like I can have multiple rogue builds on my character that massively transform what I can do. How does that work?

Feel free to point me to detailed guides. I am more than willing to read to learn.

I really appreciate your help! Thanks so much!

1) yes you normally pick a main soul thats suits your playstyle maybe ranger and pick some off-souls that passively synergy with it e.g. ranger as a mainsoul and mm as a subsoul and a third for 0 point abilities..maybe bladedancer

2)the game suggests you a random soul constellation but in general they suck so ignore them and choose the souls for yourself

3)you can have multiple "roles" that can be purchased at your trainer in the capital city
    the clue in roles is that you can easily switch souls and point distribution in no-time and so you are able to switch from dd to sup, or from melee to range in 1 second to fit your role in a group as needed
    Quite@Typhiria
    -GreatWhiteNinja- he was right after all -
    61 Dominator Guide
    Nightmare rifts - An indepth guide to reach stage 300

Quote Originally Posted by Cambios View Post
    1) Do you simply put points in a soul, and it picks the specific abilities within that soul? Or is it like a skill tree where you pick exactly where the points go?
    You can pick exactly where the points go. Each soul has the "tree" and the "roots"-- the tree is the part above the soul name, the roots are the part that's below. You put points into the tree to unlock various abilities, but you also unlock abilities in the roots based on how many points you've spent in that tree.

For instance, the 28-point root in Riftstalker is Planar Disruption. This means that if you spend twenty-eight points ANYWHERE in Riftstalker, you unlock that ability, regardless of which specific talents you picked in the tree.

2) Character creation has me pick a "class" (warrior/rogue/cleric/mage) and then a purpose. Does picking that purpose mess me up for picking a better soul combination? Should I just use one of those purposes as a n00b to the game or no? How easy/expensive is it to respec?
    The purposes are just prebuilt soul/talent combinations. That choice really shouldn't be part of character creation, in my opinion-- you can respec at your class trainer and either pick a different purpose or make your own spec (you should make your own, the purposes are all godawful).

Respeccing is incredibly cheap.

3) It sounds like I can have multiple rogue builds on my character that massively transform what I can do. How does that work?
    When you visit your class trainer, there's an option to buy another role. You can have up to twenty roles, and the price goes up with one that you buy. The first 4-6 are relatively inexpensive.

Each role is basically a new spec that you can set up as you want, with different soul combinations and talent choices. They also have separate actionbars. You can switch between any of your roles any time that you're out of combat.

RIFT Guide Writer

Hey folks,

The soul system looks extremely interesting but it is also a bit overwhelming. I hope you'll take it easy on me and help me pick something out for leveling so I can really jump into Rift with both feet!

I'm looking for a primarily ranged/archer type character that can solo really well, duo, and do dungeons in PvE/leveling up. Having some decent melee is cool also if possible.

Also, a few general soul questions:

Feel free to point me to detailed guides. I am more than willing to read to learn.

I really appreciate your help! Thanks so much!
    Only permanent choice is your class. Purpose is just a premade build and they are not very optimal last time I checked. You can choose anything you want in the tree as long as the requirements for training it are met (each tier unlocks with 5 points spent in the tree and some points require spending points elsewhere first for example Slip Away is only available if you train Improved Stealth first). You can have up to 20 roles and each one has one build in it. You can freely switch between roles as long as you are not in combat. If you wish to respec a role then you need to visit a trainer and respeccing is cheap.

My advice, choose anything but the rogue calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Rift Disciple

Wow! Awesome feedback. Thank you all so much.

So a few followup questions:

1) How do I "break out" of the purpose thing I seem to get stuck in during creation?

2) Is there a pretty solid, easy to follow basic archer/ranger type build (maybe with some melee) that's good for soloing, leveling, maybe some dungeons?

Thanks,

Rift Disciple

Also, since you folks are so helpful:

Is there anything I should go ahead and buy cash shop wise right off the bat to make my time more fun/easier. I always like to support F2P games I am playing, and if they are fun (which this game seems to indeed be) I like supporting it right off the bat if there are smart things to get that make newbie life better.

Wow! Awesome feedback. Thank you all so much.

So a few followup questions:

1) How do I "break out" of the purpose thing I seem to get stuck in during creation?

2) Is there a pretty solid, easy to follow basic archer/ranger type build (maybe with some melee) that's good for soloing, leveling, maybe some dungeons?

Thanks,
    1) Do something that the purpose doesn't recommend (IE spend your points elsewhere, or swap out a soul). If you've already spent points, then you'll need to respec at a rogue trainer. After respeccing or buying a new role, it'll bring up a menu where you can pick a purpose-- if you press the "close" button on this menu, you can just allocate your points as you wish, instead of needing to pick a purpose then invalidate it.

2) You'll want to use different builds for soloing and for dungeons. For ranged DPS in dungeons, I would go with Marksman. For soloing, put 8 points in Rifstalker for Boosted Recovery, 4 points in Tactician for Curative Engine, and then the rest of your points into the DPS soul of your choice (ideally Bladedancer or Nightblade).

Is there anything I should go ahead and buy cash shop wise right off the bat to make my time more fun/easier. I always like to support F2P games I am playing, and if they are fun (which this game seems to indeed be) I like supporting it right off the bat if there are smart things to get that make newbie life better.
    I would recommend buying the Storm Legion soul pack, which will give you the Tactician soul. (It also unlocks the Storm Legion soul for the other classes, if you decide to make another character.)

Better yet, if you can find a box copy of Storm Legion (with an unused key), you get the Storm Legion souls, 2 more bag slots on every character you ever create, and extra character slots. That being said, they don't make box copies of Storm Legion anymore, so you may have trouble tracking one down. A copy of the base game without the expansion will be easier to find (and probably much cheaper), but will only grant you the character slots and bag slots, not the souls.
    Last edited by Muspel; 11-10-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Rift Disciple

1) Do something that the purpose doesn't recommend (IE spend your points elsewhere, or swap out a soul).
    Ok I did that by swapping a soul. Now I am Bladedancer, Ranger, Assassin. I am 0/2/0 for pts right now with 2 pts remaining.

2) You'll want to use different builds for soloing and for dungeons. For ranged DPS in dungeons, I would go with Marksman. For soloing, put 8 points in Rifstalker for Boosted Recovery, 4 points in Tactician for Curative Engine, and then the rest of your points into the DPS soul of your choice (ideally Bladedancer or Nightblade).
    So for soloing and leveling I'm already in need of a respec?

I would recommend buying the Storm Legion soul pack, which will give you the Tactician soul. (It also unlocks the Storm Legion soul for the other classes, if you decide to make another character.)
    So the Storm Legions souls are really good for most characters? If so I'll grab that.

If you have any specific tips oh how I should spend points while leveling up that would be hugely appreciated.

I know that eventually I will want to experiment with tons of stuff, but for learning the game something effective that I can just follow would make things easier.

Rift Disciple

I should note that I'm primarily going for ranged DPS leveling up - assuming that's viable/effective.

RIFT Guide Writer

Like Muspel already said the Storm Legion souls are a very good investment. In addition to that you will enjoy life a lot more if you buy more bag slots.

So for soloing and leveling I'm already in need of a respec?
    Yeah. Or you can buy another role, and use one for dungeons and one for leveling.

I should note that I'm primarily going for ranged DPS leveling up - assuming that's viable/effective.
    The ranged souls aren't that great for soloing. Tactician is the least bad of the bunch, but it's still going to be weaker than the melee souls, particularly at low levels. It's plenty viable, but it will be slower, so it's up to you if that tradeoff is worth it.
    Last edited by Muspel; 11-10-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Rift Disciple

The ranged souls aren't that great for soloing. Tactician is the least bad of the bunch, but it's still going to be weaker than the melee souls, particularly at low levels. It's plenty viable, but it will be slower, so it's up to you if that tradeoff is worth it.
    Ugh. That's a serious bummer. So there's no good hunter/ranger/archer type leveling build/spec?

I guess I could put together the best possible ranged PvE build as a role, then put together a really good melee soloing/pve/leveling build as another role, and swap between them while leveling to keep things fresh? Am I understanding that right?

Assuming that's the case, how should I configure those two roles (souls, where to focus points as I level up), etc?

Thanks!

Rift Disciple

Once again Muspel and Gery: Thanks so much for your tips.

I'm grabbing that Storm Legion pack.

Muspel: I read through the guides in your sig and they all seem to be end-game builds. Do you have any leveling build guides anywhere?

RIFT Guide Writer

Once again Muspel and Gery: Thanks so much for your tips.

I'm grabbing that Storm Legion pack.

Muspel: I read through the guides in your sig and they all seem to be end-game builds. Do you have any leveling build guides anywhere?
    Leveling with rogue is mostly about having enough self healing to keep you alive and enough dps to kill something without too much wasted time. The usual way to handle self healing is to put 8 points into riftstalker and 4 into tactician, this gives you boosted recovery and curative engine. Then the third soul is whatever you feel like using for dps. If you really want to you can use even MM for it but the melee souls should give you higher dps. It's a good opportunity to experiment and try out the souls, it makes the level grind more fun too when you try different souls.

At low levels you can also use ranger even with 0 points in the soul and get a boar pet that scales with you up to level 30. This can be a good alternative for boosted recovery at low levels when you have low AP and you are mostly killing 1-2 mobs at a time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast