+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGrinnz

Thread: New player looking for additional info

Default New player looking for additional info

I played a little in beta, but for all practical purposes started playing for real about a week ago. I've read a lot of the guides posted in the guides section but don't recall seeing anything that dealt with weapon selection and if it matters and if so how it affects things.

Like for poisons and weapon enchant skills they all pretty much say 30%. Is that 30% regardless of attack speed? If that's the case wouldn't that make dagger's the clear choice as they're the fastest weapon? More hits = more procs = more dmg?

I know in some games proc rates are normalized vs weapon speed, but couldn't really find any info on that for Rift.

Also, when dual wielding is the offhand just a stat stick? I'm level 42 now and have never seen my offhand weapon do really anything other than just look spiffy. Just seems ... odd to fight with two weapons and have one of them just sit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreschau View Post
    Also, when dual wielding is the offhand just a stat stick? I'm level 42 now and have never seen my offhand weapon do really anything other than just look spiffy. Just seems ... odd to fight with two weapons and have one of them just sit there.
    The only spec that uses the offhand as anything other than a stat stick is bladedancer.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Dreschau View Post
    I played a little in beta, but for all practical purposes started playing for real about a week ago. I've read a lot of the guides posted in the guides section but don't recall seeing anything that dealt with weapon selection and if it matters and if so how it affects things.

Like for poisons and weapon enchant skills they all pretty much say 30%. Is that 30% regardless of attack speed? If that's the case wouldn't that make dagger's the clear choice as they're the fastest weapon? More hits = more procs = more dmg?

I know in some games proc rates are normalized vs weapon speed, but couldn't really find any info on that for Rift.
    Autoattacks cannot proc anything, so swing speed does not matter.

There's one minor exception to this: they can proc Scourge of Darkness, which means that if you're using faster weapons, you'll expend the charges slightly faster, increasing your burst. But since you'll use up all of the charges long before it comes off cooldown anyways, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the answers. Exactly what I was looking for.

...really? I can only edit posts if I do it immediately? lol.

anyway, so looking at weapons they have dps, the weapon dmg, then xx-yy dmg every z.z sec.

which number gets used for what?

i've got a mace thats 35 dps, 68-127 dmg, 66-123 dmg/2.7sec, and a sword that's 35 dps, 68-128 dmg, 51-96 dmg/2.1sec, and a dagger that's 37.2 dps, 73-135 dmg, 47-87 dmg / 1.8sec.

Is it using the weapon dmg section for instant attacks and the xx-yy/z.z for auto attacks meaning weapon choice is just mostly aesthetic?
    Last edited by Dreschau; 11-09-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Weapon DPS is the number that's used in ability damage calculations, and is thus the only one you should worry about.

The other two refer to auto-attack damage, which is generally going to be a tiny fraction of your output (and the overall autoattack damage does not vary based on weapon type, anyways, since the faster-swinging weapons deal less damage per auto-attack).
    Last edited by Muspel; 11-09-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks so much for the answers, you've been a great help.

Ok, thought of another. The essences that say proc x off physical attacks. Does that mean all attacks that use weapon dmg as opposed to spells, or does the attack have to actually say does physical dmg?

On my nightblade I don't really see anything but death and fire, on riftstalker I see quite a few skills that just list dmg with no elemental type. If it only procs off purely physical attacks it seems like it would drastically limit the usefulness of them.

"Physical attacks" just means rogue/warrior abilities. It's a bit of a misnomer, yeah.

Thanks again for the answers. I appreciate you taking the time to help me better understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Asaomar View Post
    The only spec that uses the offhand as anything other than a stat stick is bladedancer.
    http://www.rifthead.com/ability/-337...ft-disturbance

technically...

+ Reply to Thread