+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Ranged Solo Leveling?

  1. #1
    Rift Chaser Julesx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    306

    Default Ranged Solo Leveling?

    Hey all! I'm rolling a new Rogue after leveling up my main as a melee Harbinger/Chloro Mage, and I'm really enjoying playing a completely ranged character again.

    Everything was smooth sailing until Lvl 22 or so, following the 61 MM build (taking my best guess as to where to spec the soul points early on), but now I'm running into major survivability issues. I got so used to having excellent buffs and self heals with Chloro, that I'm frequently reflexively hitting my old Mage heal keybind on my Rogue - of course, to no avail - or downing potions and cursing their long cooldown time.

    My question is: when leveling in PvE, especially a class you've never played before, is it always better to eschew the popular guides and choose at least one soul that has self-healing and/or high endurance buffs?

    I'm not really clear on how Support works in dungeons, and I'm inclined to only ever queue DPS as I avoided most grouped content on my Mage and still need to learn the dungeon encounters and mechanics, so being able to parse good DPS is ideal. But when you don't have a healer watching your back during open world questing and IAs, what are some good sub-souls that will help with survivability while still making ranged combat and DPS viable?

    Edited to Add: For gear, I'm using either level-appropriate crafted+augmented items (both equipment and weaponry), or the best planar gear I can afford. Where stats are concerned, I've been sticking with Dex as the main stat and End as the 2nd most important. Is that correct?
    Last edited by Julesx; 11-07-2013 at 02:02 PM.

  2. #2
    Prophet of Telara Fiskerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Everything was smooth sailing until Lvl 22 or so, following the 61 MM build (taking my best guess as to where to spec the soul points early on), but now I'm running into major survivability issues. I got so used to having excellent buffs and self heals with Chloro, that I'm frequently reflexively hitting my old Mage heal keybind on my Rogue - of course, to no avail - or downing potions and cursing their long cooldown time.

    My question is: when leveling in PvE, especially a class you've never played before, is it always better to eschew the popular guides and choose at least one soul that has self-healing and/or high endurance buffs?
    61 mm was never meant to survive taking hits. its whole purpose, sort of, is to stand at 35m range and pelt people with debuffs and arrows. that being said, a melee soul / 8+ riftstalker / 4 tactician is really the best way to solo things at pre-60. If you insist on having a ranged spec, then high tactician or ranger is the best way to go

    I would suggest go with a melee leveling guide if you're concerned. But ranged specs will be able to solo about as well albeit more slowly.

    I'm not really clear on how Support works in dungeons, and I'm inclined to only ever queue DPS as I avoided most grouped content on my Mage and still need to learn the dungeon encounters and mechanics, so being able to parse good DPS is ideal. But when you don't have a healer watching your back during open world questing and IAs, what are some good sub-souls that will help with survivability while still making ranged combat and DPS viable?
    support is basically there to let everyone hit harder, but the effectiveness of support increases the more people there are in the raid. in 5-mans, no one usually supports and instead the person queued as support goes dps anyway. just make a bard spec so you can queue as support, and help the healer if necessary

    taking 4 tactician for curative engine and 8 riftstalker for boosted recovery is best. some melee souls also have self-healing cooldowns (especially bladedancer and riftstalker), but they're too high for a purely ranged spec

    Edited to Add: For gear, I'm using either level-appropriate crafted+augmented items (both equipment and weaponry), or the best planar gear I can afford. Where stats are concerned, I've been sticking with Dex as the main stat and End as the 2nd most important. Is that correct?
    that's good, pretty much, although by getting appropriate dex gear you will get enough endurance as well. the quest-line gears are also good if you just follow the story quest through
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 11-07-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

    I'm a homeless stray of a raider

  3. #3
    Rift Chaser Julesx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Thanks for taking the time to respond, Fisker!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    61 mm was never meant to survive taking hits. its whole purpose, sort of, is to stand at 35m range and pelt people with debuffs and arrows. that being said, a melee soul / 8+ riftstalker / 4 tactician is really the best way to solo things at pre-60. If you insist on having a ranged spec, then high tactician or ranger is the best way to go
    I have a secondary melee soul that I bought specifically to use with Granpa's guide, but having spent nearly two months playing melee, I really wanted to roll a true and dedicated ranged character. Would Cleric have been better in that respect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    just make a bard spec so you can queue as support, and help the healer if necessary
    That's good advice, thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    taking 4 tactician for curative engine and 8 riftstalker for boosted recovery is best.
    So those are the best sub-souls for buffs and healing when solo leveling? I believe they're the same two that Granpa recommends, so maybe I'll try modifying that spec to use MM or Ranger as the main combat soul.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    by getting appropriate dex gear you will get enough endurance as well. the quest-line gears are also good if you just follow the story quest through
    I've been picking up Story quests but I'm trying a new tack this time around with IAs and dungeons, which seem to grant so much XP (especially with the Patron vials) that I tend to out-level the story quest rewards before I can complete them. Actually looking forward to when leveling slows down a bit around 30 so I can learn more about playing this class effectively!

  4. #4
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julesx View Post
    My question is: when leveling in PvE, especially a class you've never played before, is it always better to eschew the popular guides and choose at least one soul that has self-healing and/or high endurance buffs?
    Well, in this case, you should read what the guide says. From the second paragraph of my Marksman guide:

    And, just so we're clear, this is NOT a soloing build-- while you can technically solo with it, it's really bad at it.
    Last edited by Muspel; 11-07-2013 at 06:09 PM.

  5. #5
    Prophet of Telara Fiskerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julesx View Post
    Would Cleric have been better in that respect?
    Not really. The best leveling specs for cleric are druid, which is melee, and defiler, which plays in melee anyway because of how Pain Transmission works. Melee just gets more survivability tools in general, which is why they're good for soloing.

    Your best bet for ranged solo play is a pet class
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 11-07-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

    I'm a homeless stray of a raider

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser Julesx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Well, in this case, you should read what the guide says.
    Mmmm, fair enough. Would love to see more up-to-date, solo leveling guides on the forums, unless I'm missing them via search. Val's "Leveling as a Harbinger" guide was really helpful as someone both new to the Mage class and the game in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    Melee just gets more survivability tools in general, which is why they're good for soloing.

    Your best bet for ranged solo play is a pet class
    Cheers, Fiskerton! I'll give Ranger a try in place of Marksman then.

  7. #7
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Ranger is actually quite terrible at soloing, due to the pet's inability to hold more than one mob at a time.

    Try Tactician instead.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Ranger is actually quite terrible at soloing, due to the pet's inability to hold more than one mob at a time.

    Try Tactician instead.
    O.o come on Muspel .. "actually quite terrible"? cause the places you can aoe in this game are soooo many? not to mention the OP is talking about below 50?

    Op if you find yourself constantly taking on 3+ mobs at a time yes Tactician would be a good bet.
    If you mostly single target stuff down then Ranger is the answer to your particular question. And unlike Muspel is making it sound, Ranger does have the tools to take 3+ mobs on in those rare cases it happens.

  9. #9
    Plane Touched markww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    253

    Default

    The best base for survivability as a rogue is to use 4 points in tactician for Curative Engine and 8 points in riftstalker for Boosted Recovery.

    I've levelled my marksman with these as the base up to around 47 with no survivability problems.As you have to go slightly deeper into the tree anyway, then Planar Boost is a nice bonus from Riftstalker.
    Marleigh - Rogue - 36/20/20 Assassin/Riftstalker/Bladedancer
    Cyna - Mage - Necro/Elementalist
    Butch - Warrior - Warlord/Champion 'Perfect Solo'
    Harleigh - Cleric - Full Druid with a hint of Shaman
    Light Knights Multi Gaming Community

  10. #10
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmique View Post
    O.o come on Muspel .. "actually quite terrible"? cause the places you can aoe in this game are soooo many? not to mention the OP is talking about below 50?

    Op if you find yourself constantly taking on 3+ mobs at a time yes Tactician would be a good bet.
    If you mostly single target stuff down then Ranger is the answer to your particular question. And unlike Muspel is making it sound, Ranger does have the tools to take 3+ mobs on in those rare cases it happens.
    You can AoE pretty much nonstop while leveling. There are very, very few areas where you're unable to gather up at least two or three mobs.

  11. #11
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Well, in this case, you should read what the guide says. From the second paragraph of my Marksman guide:

    And, just so we're clear, this is NOT a soloing build-- while you can technically solo with it, it's really bad at it.
    Marksman is not a leveling build. In that Muspel and I agree.

    That said, once you have enough AA to buy Vampiric Essence MM is a great soloing build in outdoor environments. I blow trough dailys as MM. MM hits extremely hard and will down many mobs with one iteration through a standard rotation. With Vampiric Essence up I never need to stop pulling, never need to drink, and i'm free to pull from range with relative impunity. Using Vampiric Essence and MM I have soloed all of the level 60 strongholds, soloed great hunt rifts, and soloed epic rifts.

    Played well MM, in outdoor environments, is a strong, effective soloing build.
    Imriel - Rogue of Ten Inches Unbuffed

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser Julesx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmique View Post
    If you mostly single target stuff down then Ranger is the answer to your particular question. And unlike Muspel is making it sound, Ranger does have the tools to take 3+ mobs on in those rare cases it happens.
    Cheers, Napalmique! I made the switch to Ranger as the main combat soul yesterday, and though I was never able to get into the Mage pet classes, I'm already enjoying having a hardy pet tanking for my Rogue.

    Quote Originally Posted by markww View Post
    The best base for survivability as a rogue is to use 4 points in tactician for Curative Engine and 8 points in riftstalker for Boosted Recovery.
    That's the point distribution I used on the sub-souls and it's made a tremendous difference. So nice having some self-healing again!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mediik View Post
    Marksman is not a leveling build. In that Muspel and I agree.

    That said, once you have enough AA to buy Vampiric Essence MM is a great soloing build in outdoor environments.
    Think my error was in equating "solo build" with "leveling build". Feels like I learn something new every day in this game!

    I'll look for Vampire Essence when it comes time to start spending PA. It's in Tier 2 of the Death tree, no?
    Last edited by Julesx; 11-08-2013 at 02:29 PM.

  13. #13
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    I've made lvl60 under one week, it's very easy compared to other MMO which I played in the past (Lineage 2)

    I would suggest you focusing on maxing ranger soul. If you are lvl20+ already, you should focus on dungeons / instant adventures and ofc warfronts. I dont know how much do you play per day, but doing those 3 will allow you to lvl up very fast without any problems. Once you are lvl 50 start doing quests in storm legion location in between dungeons, instant adventures and chronicles.


    From my experience warfronts are decent until you hit lvl60 and ~50+ rank. Ranger is great for soloing, you can even do all the 50+ lvl chronicles solo despite the info saying that it's recommened for 2 players.

    PvP after lvl60 seems to be very unbalanced, so unless you got credits or tons of plat to get top equip dont expect much from ranged rogue. Being ranged means nothing when there's so many gap closers or strong CC (rofl "AssAss Ins" with their 4sec stuns and tanks pulling you across battlefield with some crazy abilities)
    Last edited by AlwaysHealNeverDie; 11-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.

  14. #14
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julesx View Post
    Think my error was in equating "solo build" with "leveling build". Feels like I learn something new every day in this game!

    I'll look for Vampire Essence when it comes time to start spending PA. It's in Tier 2 of the Death tree, no?
    If I remember correctly that is exactly where you find the talent in the PA tree.

    I would say leveling builds are a subset of soloing builds. When soloing as rogue the trick is balancing defense and offense in such a way that you can stay alive while still doing enough damage to kill quickly and efficiently. The problem with MM is that there is not enough defense at lower levels and if a pull goes sour you can die quickly. I tend toward defense over offence in my soloing builds because I don't want to lose time while recovering from deaths.

    Also remember that some builds are easier to learn how to play. Soloing as MM means you have to master kiting. MM's advantage is speed and learning how to leverage that speed while kiting is the trick to effective MM soloing. MM has access to lots of speed at low levels the problem is you have no way, other than potions and a few planar items, to regain health. Shooting, firing finishers, popping potions, CCing, etc. all while running and avoiding obstacles and adds isn't an easy skill to master.

    IMO Riftstalker is the easiest soloing build to master. Mix it with whichever melee tree you prefer and just stand still and beat on crap. Once again balance your skill point expenditures so that you have enough offence to kill things efficiently. Every mob that dies heals you. The only trick is learning how to LoS ranged mobs to make them come to you. You will quickly learn how many mobs you can pull and still survive. I use a Riftstalker Hybrid when I farm leather and cloth and I can make pulls as large as 15 mobs. My health will drop down as low as 10 percent but once things begin to die all that health is regained and I end the pull with 80% or more health and transition into the next pull with no down time.
    Imriel - Rogue of Ten Inches Unbuffed

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser Julesx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mediik View Post
    IMO Riftstalker is the easiest soloing build to master. Mix it with whichever melee tree you prefer and just stand still and beat on crap. Once again balance your skill point expenditures so that you have enough offence to kill things efficiently. Every mob that dies heals you. The only trick is learning how to LoS ranged mobs to make them come to you. You will quickly learn how many mobs you can pull and still survive. I use a Riftstalker Hybrid when I farm leather and cloth and I can make pulls as large as 15 mobs. My health will drop down as low as 10 percent but once things begin to die all that health is regained and I end the pull with 80% or more health and transition into the next pull with no down time.
    Really appreciate your thoughts, Mediik! I reserved a role for Granpa's melee 50+ leveling build, but I melee so much on my Harbinger Mage that I'm happy sticking with a slower ranged grind on my Rogue. That said, I like the idea of soloing as a Riftstalker for a while, as I'd eventually like to try tanking for faster dungeon queues.

    I love making huge pulls when I'm farming leather and cloth too. Nothing better than mowing down mega groups of Storm Legion mobs with great efficiency!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts