Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By alltoreup21
  • 2 Post By Scyd
  • 1 Post By takadox
  • 1 Post By Scyd

Thread: Returning player requesting assistance with Rogue Roles

Default Returning player requesting assistance with Rogue Roles

Hey all;

Recently returned back to Rift and have been reading a lot of forums for rogues and the various role combo's out there. So much so that I probably have done myself more harm then good. My question is which roles would be more beneficial if one is going towards Dungeon/ raiding. I currently am utilizing the 41NB 21RS 14Tact. Been a very good build overall for running zone events and soloing. Though, it is by no means a healthy ranged build.

If people could share the ideal rogue roles for Ranged, Melee and support with the macro setup, it would save me some time for when I get into a guild. I know there is a multitude of roles out there and am just looking for the general top 3 as I have tried default roles and some from the forums and they just cannot compare to the above setup.

thanks in advance.

Melee: Assassin - Gery

Ranged: Marksman - Muspel

Support: Bard - TheGrinnz

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by alltoreup21 View Post

Support: Bard - TheGrinnz
    Not sure why you credited Gery with the assassin guide.

Top ST melee DPS: Assassin
    Good disconnect handling, bad target switch, AoE: Nightblade
    Bad disconnect handling, good target switch, burst AoE: Bladedancer

Top ST ranged DPS: Ranger
    Lower ST damage, higher utility: Marksman
    Top AoE build: Saboteur
    Large range AoE build: Tactman

Damage support: Bard
    Tank: Riftstalker

I can't really say which 3 are the best, but going with the top damage builds can't be wrong. Bard is also a must-have spec in any raid.

That's Orangu's guide, not Gery's...

Please for the love of all that is holy don't use Marksman as your primary ranged soul. Marksman is great for the utility that it brings or for fights that have excessively large amounts of target swapping, but the majority of fights in dungeons/raids are much better served by not using Marksman.

If you want a good ranged soul then use (like Scyd said) Ranger by Gery.
    Last edited by takadox; 11-04-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Soulwalker

I'd love for you to elaborate a little on that, Takadox. I'm also a returning player and have been enjoying MM, was sad to see you "beg" players not to play it. I also dread playing with a pet I have to manage--not that I'm lazy, but because I have played pet classes before and the pets always seemed...slow-minded.

A little advice is always appreciated, though. Thanks in advance!

Learn to play Assassin in pve, it's your highest single target build, get a good handle on blade dancer, it's good in later T2. MM & Ranger are both stupid easy to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

The reason Marksman should not be used in raids unless its utilities are needed is because of its DPS. Right now the top Rogue ST DPS specs are roughly as follows:
    1. Assassin
    2. Bladedancer (if no melee disconnects)
    3. Nightblade = Ranger
    4. Marksman
    So you see by using MM you are in fact using our fifth best DPS spec (you can also call it our worst DPS spec). It's not that MM is a bad spec, it's just that it was not intended to be a full on DPS spec. MM sacrifices DPS in order to have utilities (namely purges and interrupts), so if you are using it on a fight that does not require you to be purging or interrupting then you are just going to be doing sub-par DPS and hurting your raid. In Experts of course the DPS requirements are much lower and so you can be much more flexible, but for raids MM is a no-no for most fights.

You generally do not need to be worried about your pet and rarely do you need to micromanage it. For most fights in the game pets will have no problems staying alive all by themselves and there are only a few fights (like Kyzan) where having a pet out can make the mechanics harder/impossible.
    Last edited by takadox; 11-05-2013 at 05:21 AM.

Plane Walker

These are good guides,

But my questions are, aren't they all pretty old? If I wanted to try out a couple, would I have to go thru the entire threads to see updates from later in the year? There had to be "some" changes to abilites since a couple of these were written right? One was from Feb. of this year, its now November lol.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyloch View Post
    These are good guides,

But my questions are, aren't they all pretty old? If I wanted to try out a couple, would I have to go thru the entire threads to see updates from later in the year? There had to be "some" changes to abilites since a couple of these were written right? One was from Feb. of this year, its now November lol.
    Most of the guides are written by people who have guide writer status who can and do update their guides. The assassin guide is getting a bit old but the changes to assassin are mostly things that do not affect rotation. The main problem with it is the 9 MM, 6 ranger sub soul spec that it supports which has never actually been optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Most of the guides are written by people who have guide writer status who can and do update their guides. The assassin guide is getting a bit old but the changes to assassin are mostly things that do not affect rotation. The main problem with it is the 9 MM, 6 ranger sub soul spec that it supports which has never actually been optimal.
    So what are the recommended updated sub souls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post

Well poop, that was one I wanted to kinda check out along with the ranger spec. I'm not raiding atm, but I'm thinking about getting back into it with some PuG's, So I need a better DPS ranged spec than MM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    So what are the recommended updated sub souls?
    Quite sure it's the alternative provided in the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangu View Post
    with the new tier of weapons and their insane weapon damage, the 10 marksman 5 nightblade is coming out on top accross the board. crit power is still good, but the reason you go for that spec is to modify the weapon damage moreso.
    There aren't really a lot of sub soul choices anyway, the only viable 4 are Marksman, Nightblade (or Riftstalker), Ranger and Assassin itself, and Ranger is pretty rare.

Soulwalker

Awesome, thanks so much for the clear response to the question regarding MM, Takadox! Also, I'd have to agree with Gunzip...MM is stupid easy to play for me. I'm not raiding yet (still need tons of rep for the runes/gear/essences) and I usually do very well in experts. It's good to know it isn't viable once in raids. I'll have to try out the other specs though and see if I do better.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread