+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Bard keyboard layout

Soulwalker

Default Help with Bard keyboard layout

I am a returning player and I've been enjoying a Bard quite a bit and wondered if any experienced Bard players have suggestions for KB layouts. RIght now I am level 31 and am shooting for something like 44 Bard - 16 MM - 16 Tac as an all around

I steer with a mouse and move with WASD, so I really prefer to keep all of my abilities grouped around the left 1/3 of the keyboard. As I have been adding more abilities, this has gotten a littler bit harder to manage.

Here is my layout now:

Help with Bard keyboard layout-keybindings.jpg

So I put my Motifs in F1-F3 because I need to refresh them often enough even with Bardic Inspiration that I want them close. F4 is Necrotic Torrent, which is really superb for popping stealthers.

So I want my main rotation type abilities in 1-4, R, and the middle mouse button. With the 5 key and the ~ as less used abilities because they aren't quite as natural to hit as the others plus F1-F4.

Right now I have a macro on 1 that I use for purely movement and it works ok in PvP and PvE questing. I mostly use On the Double in PvP for situational escapes/chase down.

But I am not super attached to it there, I have mostly just been too lazy to rework iit.

#show Agility
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Break Free
    cast On the Double
    cast Agility

I don't like what I have on 2 at all, I was thinking about as an opener that applies CoJ:

#show Coda of Jeopardy
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Riff
    cast Coda of Jeopardy

3 and 4 are always my bread and butter keys and I have been using them as my primary damaging skills since DAoC.

Right now 3 works pretty well as I mostly want to keep up heals at all times so I can be deliberate if I want to switch to more pure DPS with Cadenza:

#show Cadence
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [alt] Cadenza
    cast Riff
    cast Power Chord
    cast Cadence

4 right now is my 'finisher' key, obviously having a macro here at the moment is arbitrary, but I like to set up each of the 1-4 keys as macros so I can move abilities in and out:

#show Coda of Wrath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Coda of Wrath

I am using the Middle Mouse button for Mez, which is working really well. And I have Coda of Restoration on 'R' since it is easy enough to hit without moving my hands. As I get more healing abilities I will probably add them to a macro here.

Now I have Virtuoso and I am not really sure how to work it in. Ideally this would be used situationally with either CoW or CoR depending on what's happening. But to be honest I am so used to my group of keys that if I don't work it in there somehow I will end up fat fingering or forgetting it half the time.

So how do other Bards set their keybindings up so that they flow sort of naturally? I mean really there are only three things I will be doing in Warfronts: Support (Focus damage, Cadence adn Motif spread heals, and mez), burst DPS with Virtuoso and CoW, or burst healing with Virtuoso and CoR.

What are you doing with your "A" "D" and "S" keys?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

This is my layout, it's has everything I need to raid with.

Help with Bard keyboard layout-bard-layout.png

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by spowers454 View Post
    This is my layout, it's has everything I need to raid with.

Attachment 15201
    Holy cow, using Num Pad is a bloody good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Scyd View Post
    Holy cow, using Num Pad is a bloody good idea
    That's almost certainly a Razer Naga. The side buttons count as the numpad. (It might also be some other gaming mouse, I don't know how they're set up.)

Using the actual num pad is a very bad idea, because it means that you're unable to mouse turn unless you have three hands.
    Last edited by Muspel; 10-26-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    What are you doing with your "A" "D" and "S" keys?
    You know, I had to play around a little to even see if I did, and the only thing I used them for was A and D to strafe along with he mouse. I never used S in PvP (Where I generally move about 95% of the time). So I am basically using A and D like Q and E and not really using S at all. I wonder if I can retrain my fingers to use them.

That's almost certainly a Razer Naga. The side buttons count as the numpad. (It might also be some other gaming mouse, I don't know how they're set up.)

Using the actual num pad is a very bad idea, because it means that you're unable to mouse turn unless you have three hands.
    ^ razor naga 4 lyfe

Plane Walker

It's actually not that bad for some skills which shouldn't be used on the move anyway. It's at least easier for me than ctrl+5. I don't even need to release my mouse.

It's at least easier for me than ctrl+5.
    I'd argue that you shouldn't use any keybind past 4 anyways, especially not with a modifier attached.

Plane Walker

I'd argue that you shouldn't use any keybind past 4 anyways, especially not with a modifier attached.
    I'm not sure if it's just some skills, but modifiers and macros in general is causing my skills to not queue properly. Like:

cast [shift] Bloom
    cast Natural Healing

For some reason, neither of the skills queue so I have to have them separate.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by spowers454 View Post
    ^ razor naga 4 lyfe
    I use a razer naga, but hate it. It randomly DCs. I may, very soon, move to the logitech gaming mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrodon View Post
    I use a razer naga, but hate it. It randomly DCs.
    So don't unplug it?

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Harrodon View Post
    I use a razer naga, but hate it. It randomly DCs. I may, very soon, move to the logitech gaming mouse.
    Probably shouldn't use wireless for gaming. From my experience with Logitech wireless, it is fine if the receiver is in plain sight. But when my receiver was slightly hidden, I frequently cannot connect to it either.

Motifs don't need to be in keybind range. During a 8 minute boss fight you will use the motifs themselves exactly once, before the pull.

What you do need in keybind range:
    Cadence
    Cadenza (can macro Verse of Agony)
    Riff

Coda of Wrath
    Coda of Fury
    Coda of Restoration

Coda of Jeopardy
    Coda of Cowardice
    Coda of Distress

Verse of Vitality
    Harmonic Distortion

Orchestra of the Planes
    Verse of Joy
    Virtuoso
    Verse of Occlusion

Multiple Oscillations (to toggle mid fight)

Rift Disciple

Probably shouldn't use wireless for gaming. From my experience with Logitech wireless, it is fine if the receiver is in plain sight. But when my receiver was slightly hidden, I frequently cannot connect to it either.
    It's not wireless. The Naga is wired, but has something wrong inside. It DCs, and I have to flip the mouse upsidedown to get it to reconnect.

+ Reply to Thread