+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Veloh

Thread: New Rogue Questions

Soulwalker

Default New Rogue Questions

I've tried both Cleric and Mage(both to about 30ish), but something felt a bit lacking to me I guess the classes didn't click with me. So I went ahead and made a Rogue and so far its been clicking it just feels more fun to me. Now to the questions:

1. I'm using the standard melee soloing spec, with my damage tree being Nightblade. I also realize its not such a dungeon friendly build though. I've yet to run into any issues but is Assassin better earlier or are they both about the same?

2. For a more dungeon friendly build(I have a tanking one) I went marksman and eventually I'd like to set up a bard for support if anyone has some early level bard builds or suggestions I'd love to see them. Is ranger better early on or is marksman just fine?

3. I've heard of Dunsparrow's builds and site, but its been down(anyone know if he is going to bring it back) and I'm not sure if anyone has them saved or recalls them, poking around the forums got me interested in them.

1. Assassin is better later, but you should really only use Assassin for bosses that don't require any AoE and have easy positioning and you have a chloro healer. This is because Assassin has literally 0 AoE built-in, you must be on the back of the mob to do your best damage, and it is really energy starved. If you insist on using a melee spec in a dungeon, NB or BD are probably your best bet. BD has 0 energy issues and the best burst AoE in game. Sustained it is pretty bad but for most dungeons burst will be fine.

2. Marksman is really just fine for any and all dungeon and when learning about a place is probably the best way to go because you can stand at ranged, can purge if needed, and can interrupt. Unfortunately, Ranger suffers the same problem that Assassin does and that is energy starvation. With a Chloro though, energy starvation should go away. Bard wise get to 61 points as quick as you can, as a 61 Bard is the optimal bard spec for 99% of fights that require Bard in the game, with being only slightly suboptimal for that 1%. Most 5 mans you will never need to go bard, BUT if you get queued into the support role, always ask your healer if they need a bard to help.

3. I would just follow the guides on the forums in the Guides section. Dunsparrow's builds weren't horrific but the vast majority were far from optimal. I doubt that they will ever be brought back. I don't believe he plays the game anymore.
    Erct - <Undaunted> - Wolfsbane.
    4/4 RoF, 5/5 MS, 2/3 TF, HK 10/11, 4/4 iGP HM, your MoM 4/9.

Rift Disciple

Default Marksman

I just wanted to add one point -- do not exclude experimenting with other specs (ranger, NB, Sin and Bard). Too often, we find rogues only playing MM in raids. Keep in mind that, currently, MM is the lowest DPS spec, and many consider an unclassified "utility" spec rather than a DPS spec.

Also, if you plan on raiding, Barding is one way to keep yourself alive in some fights because you will have more HP than in MM.

Good luck and have fun.

Soulwalker

Default Thanks for the advice

I was going to leave this thread alone, but I did want to thank people for the advice. I been taking it slow and just hit 32 last night. I have a few roles at the moment. One for a leveling spec/solo, one for rdps(ranger), a tank, and one reserved for bard. Eventually I may grab another one for a more pvp spec(if I decide to do any of that), and maybe another for melee dps, as I don't believe the ones more oriented for soloing work well end game and in 5 mans in general once you start to fill in more Rifstalker.

I do have a question for bladedancers out there though, now I know of the addon to track buffs, but my ability to hit tons of keybinds is a bit lacking which I guess sort of applied to bard but the talent the makes the 20 second buffs refresh makes it a ton easier. My question is Bladedancer as intimidating as it sounds keybind wise or are some of the core ones on semi-long cooldowns (a minute or more)?

Quote Originally Posted by Epros View Post
    I do have a question for bladedancers out there though, now I know of the addon to track buffs, but my ability to hit tons of keybinds is a bit lacking which I guess sort of applied to bard but the talent the makes the 20 second buffs refresh makes it a ton easier. My question is Bladedancer as intimidating as it sounds keybind wise or are some of the core ones on semi-long cooldowns (a minute or more)?
    Bladedancer's core single-target DPS comes from four abilities: Precision Strike, Quick Strike, Double Strike (Deadly Strike/Dauntless Strike at low levels), and Binary Strike (Keen Strike at low levels).

Mixed in with that, you have a set of five DPS cooldowns that people generally just call "dances". Each one has a 90 second cooldown and a 24-second durations. You cycle through them so that one is active at all times (they overwrite each other, so you can't have more than one at a time).

I wouldn't necessarily say that it's a particularly difficult spec, but it is very different than anything else. It can take some getting used to, and you have to plan ahead to optimize it-- every DPS cooldown has a different effect, so ideally you want to match them to when they'll be most effective.

Overall, Bladedancer is unique among the rogue specs in that you never press the same button twice in a row (aside from Twin Strike).
    Last edited by Muspel; 10-26-2013 at 07:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread