+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard secondary souls?

Soulwalker

Default Bard secondary souls?

New to Rift and absolutely loving it. I have a 29 bard and started with the basic template. I replaced one of the starter souls with nightblade for stealth. Since I almost never use my bow, I am thinking of dumping Marksman.

My question is should I go with riftstalker, blade dancer or something else?

Thanks much!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Horgan Windsong View Post
    New to Rift and absolutely loving it. I have a 29 bard and started with the basic template. I replaced one of the starter souls with nightblade for stealth. Since I almost never use my bow, I am thinking of dumping Marksman.

My question is should I go with riftstalker, blade dancer or something else?

Thanks much!
    Bard soul does not provide a passive skill that allows you to attack with a ranged weapon(I think it's ranged weapon training?). Hence you kinda need Marksman(or Ranger) as a subsoul. Also the reason Marksman is a good subsoul choice for Bard is because it provides allot of Attack Power boost, which is the thing that Bard scales the most off and has some passives that provide boosts for Bard skills.

Having said that, you should try out other main souls as well(you can buy more souls and switch between them from your trainer). You should also be aware that the Bard soul, while nice and everything is not a dps soul and any other dps souls will kill mobs much faster (thus level faster) but then again to each it's own.

xxs
    Plane Touched

Bard is quite poor for leveling, the damage is just too low and there is close to no burst either.
    I like playing bard but outside big 10+ parties (or some chronicle bosses) has little use.

Assassin/NS(24) + 0MM is one of the easiest solo builds to play, esp w/ the major nerf of the nightblade's aoe. Excellent survivability, decent damage + perma-stealth, just no aoe outside rift disturbance.

I haven't had any difficulties with my Bard, although I'll concede that maybe the Silverwood zone is enough of a starting zone that almost nobody has difficulties there. But a lack of burst, alone, isn't enough to dissuade me from a particular build. A drain/dps-over-time can handle herself with a decent level of damage mitigation, and the Bard does have SOME healing.

All this being said, I won't argue if someone wants to insist that Bards are best suited to running dungeons in a Support capacity. That IS the primary function of the class: Group support.
    WTF = FTW spelled backward

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by xxs View Post
    Bard is quite poor for leveling, the damage is just too low and there is close to no burst either.
    I like playing bard but outside big 10+ parties (or some chronicle bosses) has little use.

Assassin/NS(24) + 0MM is one of the easiest solo builds to play, esp w/ the major nerf of the nightblade's aoe. Excellent survivability, decent damage + perma-stealth, just no aoe outside rift disturbance.
    Early levels, yes... but oh my goodness, later on you're doing stupid amounts of dps and self-healing.

There's close to no burst, true, but you don't need it. And you can solo 3-man bosses without dropping below 90% health.

xxs
    Plane Touched

Bard and "stupid amounts of dps" in a single sentence is just plain wrong when they are actually related.
    You can have similar amounts of hps (self) w/ assassin and unparalleled survival - only lag can realistically kill you. As for 3-man bosses, all quests besides the weekly Dendrome bosses and the boss in hive are soloable w/ rogue (you can solo SH60).

Yet, if you enjoy playing bard, by all means do so. Merely, I can't think of a spec w/ slower leveling.

+ Reply to Thread