+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rogue Rifstalker Suggestions

Default Rogue Rifstalker Suggestions

A few things that I've been mulling over for a while, to address some annoyances and remove some inconsistencies between tanking specs.
    1. Add a minor energy regeneration buff to Planar Rejuvenation. Reasoning: This will alleviate Riftstalker's energy starvation issues (particularly the severe starvation when you need to interrupt in experts), and it'll make the 41-point talent slightly less useless.
    2. Make it so that Soul Coalescence has 10 stacks instead of 20, with each stack providing double the effect it does right now. Reasoning: Riftstalker really gets the short end of the stick when it comes to the 30s cooldowns when compared to other tanks, because we have to be in melee almost full-time in order to stack it up fully. Every other tank either just has a cooldown with no stacks to expend (Reaver, Paladin), or can generate the resource from range (Void Knight, Justicar).
    3. Get rid of Planar Reversal's current functionality. Instead, make it so that Planar Reversal causes Shadow Blitz/Shadow Assault/Shadow Stalk to not move you (and change the name to something more fitting, like "Planar Anchor"). Reasoning: Riftstalkers currently have to deal with the headache of being put WAY out in the middle of nowhere on bosses with large hitboxes when they try to maintain Planar Vortex/Ruthless Stalker. This is particularly irritating on bosses like Matriarch of Pestilence. Planar Reversal's current incarnation isn't particularly useful, even in PvP, so removing it shouldn't be a big deal.
    4. Change Power of the Planes so that it only has five stacks instead of 10. Make it so that the finisher buff itself grants you 25% AD/WD. Reasoning: Power of the Planes currently isn't worth using on most raid bosses, because you either tank swap so often that you lose your stacks, or you're dealing with unavoidable attacks that can't proc it to begin with. This makes Riftstalker a bit too simplistic and uninteresting, particularly for unavoidable attacks where you don't even need to maintain Wrath of the Planes. Changing it in this way would still keep Riftstalker at the same 50% ceiling for PotP, but actually give us a reason to use it more on more than one or two bosses.

EDIT: I can't spell Riftstalker, apparently.
    Last edited by Muspel; 10-14-2013 at 07:14 AM.

With the current state of riftstalkers in mind...

1) is kind of a moot point. If you use a min/max rotation treading on energy starvation, you'd get maybe 200 dps more (of our amazing ~4k!) compared to not. If you know you need to interrupt, throttling your GCD use even by 1s gets you more than enough. Yes, I know you hate throttling. But the difference between absolute optimal rotation and not for RS is miniscule. The dps gain is essentially null, and threat isn't ever going to be an issue unless you're literally afking.

2) I'd chalk this one up to us having more personal CDs than the other tanks, barring the still in development mage tank.

3) I agree with this one.

4) They'd need to rework the way RS does dmg if they ever intend on bringing our dps up. PotP may as well not exist for all the good it does to a raid encounter.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    With the current state of riftstalkers in mind...

1) is kind of a moot point. If you use a min/max rotation treading on energy starvation, you'd get maybe 200 dps more (of our amazing ~4k!) compared to not. If you know you need to interrupt, throttling your GCD use even by 1s gets you more than enough. Yes, I know you hate throttling. But the difference between absolute optimal rotation and not for RS is miniscule. The dps gain is essentially null, and threat isn't ever going to be an issue unless you're literally afking.

2) I'd chalk this one up to us having more personal CDs than the other tanks, barring the still in development mage tank.

3) I agree with this one.

4) They'd need to rework the way RS does dmg if they ever intend on bringing our dps up. PotP may as well not exist for all the good it does to a raid encounter.
    1. It's not about DPS. It's about the fact that energy starvation is irritating.

2. I'm not so sure about that, considering that the other tanks all had a 30s cooldown shoehorned in shortly after SL launch to match Riftstalker.

4. Hence my suggestion. The problem isn't that RS does less damage when not being attacked-- Paladin, Void Knight, Arbiter and Justicar all have that too, to varying degrees (maybe Reaver, too, I'm too lazy to check). It's mostly that Riftstalker's rotation becomes extremely dumbed down on some encounters.
    Last edited by Muspel; 10-13-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Plane Walker

I often have to stop attacking in order to save up enough energy for teleports or other skills outside the spam macro. It's pretty annoying.

Telaran

so rogue tanks are missing

1. energy, super annoying, even with living energy you starve

2. have a small CD that can refresh fast

3. use our stupid aggro generation with teleports that we cant use in boss fights cause we cant get to our ideal locations?

4. more dps, we have the lowset dps of all tanks

Ascendant

Definitely like to see Power of the Planes get tweaked a bit as, yeah, half the time it won't proc due to a boss's attacks being unavoidable and the rest you'll lose your stacks due to tank swaps. I still like the idea of a stack being added by using plane shifts.

I guess Planar Reversal has it's uses in PvP so I'd be hesitant to remove it. I love that "Planar Anchor" idea though and it'd sure save a lot of headaches when dealing with bosses with big hit boxes.

As damage goes, well, I don't personally mind one way or the other (I believe we're pretty comparable to Justicars). But as Riftstalkers have a high crit rate due to Ruthless Stalker perhaps some proc damage that triggers from crits.
    Last edited by Kedon; 10-14-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Shadowlander

+1 for Planar Anchor

RIFT Guide Writer

I'd hope for something like this:

Planar Reversal
    10 energy
    Toggled
    When Shadow Assault or Shadow Blitz are used, the rogue summons the target or targets instead of teleporting to them.

The current function is there anyway as a relic from the time when bloodstalker was our top dps spec. The porting behind the target is usually inconvenient and disorienting so the ability is not even useful in its current form.

And yes Power of the Planes definitely needs some work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Planar Reversal
    10 energy
    Toggled
    When Shadow Assault or Shadow Blitz are used, the rogue summons the target or targets instead of teleporting to them.
    I would be extremely wary of copying Void Knight's primary utility onto a spec that already has tons of utility of its own.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I would be extremely wary of copying Void Knight's primary utility onto a spec that already has tons of utility of its own.
    What utility? Physical Wellness and Planar Disruption? RS can't purge, cleanse, heal, debuff, pull from range or do ranged threat. It has by far the least utility of all the tanks and can't even spec for anything other than dual interrupt as utility.

Best utility for rogue tanks is gathering artifacts in wierd places with jumping puzzles

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    What utility? Physical Wellness and Planar Disruption? RS can't purge, cleanse, heal, debuff, pull from range or do ranged threat. It has by far the least utility of all the tanks and can't even spec for anything other than dual interrupt as utility.
    Physical Wellness is a very potent ability, but I was talking about mobility.

Which has not ever been useful in the history of Rift Raiding. Current content's TBD, but for the most part you park your butt and sit through everything but one shot / wave with a debuff mechanics.

I'm -real- mobile in my one spot!

They've yet to design an encounter that requires a teleporting Rogue Tank in mind, even though they've done at least one that more or less necessitates a Justicar. (Laethys specifically, Salv can be done w/o)
    Last edited by MoonfireSpam; 10-14-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Which has not ever been useful in the history of Rift Raiding. Current content's TBD, but for the most part you park your butt and sit through everything but one shot / wave with a debuff mechanics.

I'm -real- mobile in my one spot!

They've yet to design an encounter that requires a teleporting Rogue Tank in mind, even though they've done at least one that more or less necessitates a Justicar. (Laethys specifically, Salv can be done w/o)
    Rogue mobility was extremely useful on Volan, actually.

RIFT Guide Writer

If you could use Shadow Assault and Shadow Blitz for pulling then you would lose an equivalent amount of mobility in the process.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast